Homeline

Fiction detailing the ongoing events on the Homeline and numerous parallel Worldlines.

Moderators: Podmore, arcanus, Otto

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Homeline

Post by arcanus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 am

Homeline Internal Defence Facility, Northside Outskirts, Richmond Virginia – Homeline
The executive pyramid was a futuristic construction of experimental nano-glass and nanotubes, resembling a completely glass Egyptian pyramid with no visible structural supports.

Even the floor was rather disconcertingly glass, although mirrored to prevent the offices below looking up, David Fareira however could look down upon the workers below.
At 09.47 his attention was fixed on the sci-fi made real holographic projection of HID Agent Bruch, the rendering of the holo-communication was so accurate he could see the man’s sweat.

“How exactly did you lose her?” he asked with quiet menace
“She did a switch on us sir” came the resigned response
“I’m not an idiot Bruch I can think of any number of ways in which she has eluded two highly trained Homeline Internal Defence agents, the question was rhetorical”
“Sorry sir”
Fareira cut the feed in frustration “Idiots” he hissed before turning to the figure of Tom Rydale, Chief Operations Officer of Corporate Oversight
“You shouldn’t be quite so hard on them Dave, she is very good” the other man observed in his silky smooth voice
“Their meant to be very good Tom, that’s why we assigned it to them, plus she’s a suit”
“A suit trained as a Special Operations Officer, Field trained and then business mentored by Arving”
Fareira turned and looked out the window, Ryland continued “She’s almost certainly offworld by now”
“Tom whats the buzz with this one?”
“What do you mean” replied Ryland carefully
“Well unless there’s OMD regarding Arving’s untimely death why the focus on Wallace, at the very least we're at risk of compromising my agents working inside Overwatch”
Fareira turned back to eyeball Ryland
“Look truthfully I’m not aware of any moves on Arving, he was highly respected, motivated and on the rise, a tragic accident so no his death wasn’t down to corporate power games”
“So whats the gig, let Wallace expend her energy, burn it out, the bitches borderline psychotic as it is, she’ll breakdown any day, more of a concern for us than Overwatch”
“That’s the trouble Dave, we look after our own or at least bury our own, Arving let her have a very long leash, she’s party to more sensitive intel than we’d prefer and has a great many powerful friends”
“So she’s connected that can be severed”
“I’m not talking about political allies Dave I’m talking powerful friends, several of which we’re nervous about especially as we’re now realising that Arving was cultivating these friendships”
Faeira pursed his lips
“One of which has now gone missing and the Head of Audit would like to speak too”
“Ah that arshole, don’t say I didn’t warn you, fucking timebomb that one, you should have let me put him down when his wife shuffled off!”
“Yeah yeah yeah told you so’s are not helpful right now”
Faeira smiled “We’ll lock down the Projectors, she’ll turn up”
“Thanks Dave” responded Ryland as he lifted his overcoat from the coat rack and opened the office door

Ten minutes later as Tom Ryland walked across the car park he thought to himself “If only it were that easy!”

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Homeline

Post by arcanus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Infinity Meet Space, The Shore of The Charles River, Boston
Sunlight crept over the illustrious campus buildings of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, pouring in through the Meet Space windows.

The Meet Space facilities were built on a pier on the Boston shore of Charles River, accessible from Storrow Drive, a plush luxuriant ultra modern complex allowing Infinity visitors comfortable modern facilities to hot desk and conduct meetings when visiting Boston.
It also took the pressure of the corporations Boston offices two blocks away on Commonwealth Avenue, both were prime real estate in Boston’s most expensive neighbourhood. Situated on the river it sat opposite MIT across the river on the Cambridge shore and the waterside meeting rooms had a fantastic view of not only the renowned campus but also the historix Longfellow Bridge.

Corporate Officer Sam Mandala felt surprising awake for 06.00 EST, he’d arrived in Boston the previous afternoon and got an early night, as always things were incredibly hectic and he’d covered thousands of miles on company business in the past three months.

It was nice to momentarily stop, soak in the privacy of the meeting room, its minimalist décor and amazing view. He had been pleasantly surprised by the number of people occupying the other rooms, he supposed they were also taking advantage of the quiet time before the world fully awoke.

Enjoying the incredibly good coffee he relaxed in the reclining chair, taking in the sights of the river, early morning joggers crossing MITs grounds, he watched Boston waking.

He busied himself for the next few hours taking a rare uninterrupted chance to get himself ahead for the day before at 07.55 polarising the rooms glass walls and windows, activating the holocom a figure sat at a desk appeared across from him.

The bespectacled man in his early forties looked up from his screen and smiled
“Mr Long, thanks for taking the time out” greeted Sam
“No problem Officer Mandela, I’ve looked over your communique around the Corporate Enquirer. Is the publication that big an issue for the Patrol?” he began
Sam smiled Miles Long was one of Infinities better legal eagles, a straight shooter who tended to provide more practical solutions than his lawyer colleagues.
“Well they’ve recently received a substantial investment boost from Right Wing Political elements!” he replied
“Yes I noticed, although Infinity tries not to play politics it does receive support from both left and right wing elements of national parties, so that in itself isn’t a reason to try and sanction the Enquirer!” commented Long

Again Sam smiled, Infinity was as political as they came, spending obscene amounts on political lobbying in the US, Europe and APAC
“Noted, however with quiet UNIC links and the extended corporate interests represented by those Right Wing elements, its enquiries are becoming far more focused on our corporate areas and on The Patrol”

Long’s attention returned to the screens built into the surface of his desk and pondered for a while
“Sam do you know how big the anti-trust department of Infinities Legal Division is?” he asked without looking up
“That I do not!”
“It accounts for 40% of the entire department, the reason for its size is at any one time we have several hundred anti-trust suits in motions against us!”
“So, I take it that’s a no?”
Long looked up and smiled “I’m saying that we if we can avoid another one that would be helpful, we can certainly instigate class action, but I have a feeling that expenditure could be better used”

“So traditional cat and mouse” Sam added
“I think that the preferred course, it would put the Inquirer under more immediate pressure especially if their new political and corporate links are explored, we can certainly assist if anything material comes to light that is suitably erroneous, but at this stage just trying to bog them down with legalities would be pretty transparent and spins well for them!”

“Fair enough” replied Sam thoughtfully “Thanks for your time Miles!”
“No problem, enjoy Boston” he replied before the holo image vanished