A Darker Shade Of Pale

Fiction detailing the ongoing events on the Homeline and numerous parallel Worldlines.

Moderators: Podmore, arcanus, Otto

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Re: A Darker Shade Of Pale

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 am

There were a dozen men, arranged in a protective semi-circle around the helicopter as Black opened the door at the bottom of the steps that led up to the roof and landing pad.
Each man was armed with an SMG, kneeling and ready to use that weaponry on him.
Captain Donovan was behind them, standing, with a loud speaker in his hand.
“Hold it right there, Mister!” Donovan hailed.
Black did stop, these were tough odds, even for him.
Slowly and deliberately Black held his pistol out high, pointing away from the soldiers.
The soldiers tensed but Donovan could see what he was doing and so his order to fire never came.
Black pulled back on the casing ejecting and unspent cartridge, then another, and another. He kept this up until the weapon was empty.
“Kill him,”
Karkarov yelled from the rear door of the chopper.
Donovan wasn’t an executioner, so he ignored the irate businessman.
Black noticed them now, Susan and Chrissie, both sitting in the back of the helo.
Anger and fear suffused the agent’s body and turned into rage.
“Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!” Black yelled, expelling his anger through a mental scream that had every man and woman on the roof holding their heads.
Black focussed his anger, blasting at the Russian who slid off his seat holding his head as though trying to stop it exploding.
Blast after blast crashed in on Karkarov’s mind.
“What’s happening?” Donovan called but no one on board the helo heard him.
“What’s wrong with Karkarov?” Donovan eventually asked into his radio.
“You’ve got me sir!” came the confused reply.
“I’ll tell you what’s happening,” Black told them directly into their minds, “I’m going to kill you all.”
Another concerted effort from Black and Karkarov screamed like a girl.
Donovan stared in bewilderment at Black, still trying to decide if he had heard Black’s voice inside his own head or if he’d imagined it.
Karkarov collapsed onto the floor of the helicopter his hands clasped to the side of his head once more.
“Fire!” Donovan yelled his order, not understanding what was going on, but realising whatever it was, it wasn’t good.
As he heard the word, Black ceased his mental assault on Karkarov and projected a wall of force around himself.

As his men opened up, Donovan stared in amazement that no one was hitting the target, who was now moving rapidly towards them.

Behind Black, unspent bullets lifted off the ground and shot toward their intended targets.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 am

Boris Karkarov groaned from the back of the helicopter, his head throbbed like the worst hangover known to man. Panting he looked around.
Chrissie and Susan were watching him. Both had looks of disgust on their faces, Chrissie’s might even have been one of hatred.
“What?” he growled annoyed, pulling himself into a more dignified position.

There was gunfire coming from outside and he saw Black moving like a demon amongst the soldiers.
They were scrambling to get clear of the madman who had already felled three of their number and at least twice that many were injured.
Karkarov couldn’t comprehend how this man had survived. How he was defeating these highly trained personnel with such ease?
Actually, he decided, he really didn’t care right now, he just knew he had to get away.
“Get us out of here, now!” Karkarov ordered the pilot who, of course, had little choice but to obey and increased the torque on the rotor blades and upping the power to begin lifting the helo from the ground.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 am

Black whirled in on a soldier, his mind set on nothing but getting to that helicopter.
The distraction left an opening in his defences and a bullet smacked hard into his shoulder.
The agent was thrown to his knees by the impact.
He turned on the source and realised that he had to deal with this situation before he could move on to dealing with Boris, but he couldn’t wait that long.

The helo was now five feet above the roof and increasing. As he turned, sweeping a Sai around to thrust the point into the man’s neck, he caught a glimpse of Karkarov in the rear, watching him, but the aircraft was already turning.
He left the Sai where it was, maybe if the soldier left it in place the medics would be able to remove it properly and he’d fully recover.
The helo turned through 180.
He left the Sai where it was, maybe if the soldier left it in place the medics would be able to remove it properly and he’d fully recover.
The helo turned through 180° and now Susan was sitting closest to him.
Reaching out quickly he mentally yanked the door on her side open and pulled her out.
With a scream of surprise more than fright she fell to the hard landing pad and lay still, completely winded.

Black didn’t have time to see if she was hurt as more CFA troops arrived, coming up the stairway.
Snatching up a discarded MP5, Black began shooting. There were too many here now for him to worry about not killing, so the Infinity agent aimed higher.
Pinned as they were in the stairwell the men could only retreat to escape the gunfire.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 am

Captain Donovan pulled himself to his feet after being shot by someone, he could only assume it was Black. Luckily his armour had saved him but it had still been like getting kicked by a mule.
Most of his men were down now, and even the reinforcements were unable to help.

“Wait, go back!” Boris ordered the pilot when he saw Susan Wallace drop out of the aircraft.
He needed both of these women badly. Wallace was his key to obtaining conveyor and Chrissie Simmons was the best shield he had against Black.

The helo turned and circled back in.

Donovan saw his opportunity for victory laying on the floor not too far away. He didn’t know why the women were so important, but Karkarov valued them and they seemed to be why Black was here, so it seemed logical that they meant something to the strange, deadly individual.

He ran over to where Wallace lay winded on the floor.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 am

Susan screamed when she was roughly yanked to her feet.
The scream pulled at Black’s attention. With the reinforcements pushed back it was simple enough to barricade the door so that they would have to struggle to get back through so he turned from that task to face the CFA commanding officer who was now holding a gun to Wallace’s head.

Wallace looked into Black’s eyes and her heart warmed and her mind focussed. She had been unable to disobey Karkarov, had had to do whatever he told her, but there were no such instructions concerning anyone else, except for Jeremy Stephens, Karkarov’s butler, and he wasn’t here.

Her situation wasn’t good, not only was her opponent bigger and stronger, and armed, he also had on full combat fatigues and body armour. Whereas she was dressed in an oversized flak jacket and underwear. Not exactly regulation combat attire.
Letting herself relax, as Black himself had taught her, she suddenly sprang into action, ignoring the protest from her aching knees and elbows.
Her hand knocked the gun away and at the same time she turned in towards Donovan, hooking her left arm over his bicep and gripping his wrist with her right fist.
Her intention was to use both her momentum and the pressure forcing his elbow to bend in the wrong direction to bring him down into an arm lock that would end with him lying on the ground, disarmed and her having complete control over her opponent.
But Donovan was no rookie and saw the move coming so he was able to both resist using his own superior strength and then step into the attack, taking more power out of her move and giving himself better balance.
His left hand shot in striking her in the kidneys, knocking all her strength out of her with the pain of it.
Even so, as Wallace released him from her failed hold, she brought her foot up into his groin. She wished she had shoes on.
Donovan grunted in pain himself but managed to keep his footing.

The door behind Black blew outwards with a bang and thick cloud of smoke.

Donovan raised his pistol to Wallace.

Men in CFA uniforms rushed out onto the roof.

Black looked from them to Donovan and looked like the Devil’s own wrath, incarnate.

From the helicopter Karkarov watched things as they played out. It finally looked as though Donovan and his men had the upper hand.

Sweeping his arm as though back-handing an annoying fly, Black lashed out mentally.

Donovan, thirty yards away, was plucked from his feet and thrown out over the side of the building.

Karkarov watched in horror as the commander of his protective forces plummeted nearly a thousand feet into the darkness that surrounded the base of Zenith Tower.
“My god! What is this man?” Karkarov asked rhetorically.

Black moved quickly, raising one of the soldier’s injured comrades as a shield but the men, who had just witnessed their c/o swept to his death with such as ease as someone sweeping crumbs off a table top were wary of progressing this attack.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 am

A corporal, leading the reinforcements looked from Black to the half-naked woman and then to Karkarov.
His feelings for the businessman were not pleasant ones and he knew that this whole affair was over the woman.
The intentions of the man they were fighting were far more honourable than those of the man they were supposed to be defending.
It offended the soldier in him that it was that way around.

“Back off, back off!” he ordered his unit.
His c/o was dead and they currently hand no contact with the Company’s No.2, who had been running the operation at Karkarov’s house. He was the highest ranking man still alive now, and could blame any bad decision he made in the eyes of his superiors on him being just a lowly grunt.
Either way, he decided, he was not going to die for a woman beating mother-fucker like Karkarov.

Boris saw the CFA troops retreat and he was incensed.
He glared at Wallace. “Take a long walk off this very short pier,” he said, knowing that although his voice wouldn’t reach her ears, his command would.

Wallace took a step towards the edge of the roof.
“Black!” she screamed in panic.
Caleb spun to face her.
“I can’t stoop myself!” she shouted as another leg moved her towards the edge.
Black saw Karkarov grinning.

“Go!” Karkarov barked and the pilot swept the helicopter around, away from the Tower.

Black looked from Wallace to Karkarov. He was not going to let the Russian get away.
He was tired, mentally and physically, and he knew he’s struggle to hold a helicopter here even if he was fully fit.

A pistol lying discarded on the rooftop leaped up into his hand.
Without hesitation he fired, hitting Wallace in the back of her leg.
She screamed, dropping instantly and clutching at the painful wound, but she wasn’t trying to walk off the roof anymore.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 am

Boris Karkarov sighed disappointedly. How had it all gone so wrong?
He had planned he deceit for many years now, since Mavin had revealed his knowledge on the world-jumping organisation.
Karkarov didn’t believe in monopolies unless, of course, it was him doing the monopolising. So why should Infinity Inc. be the sole owners of such technology.

As the helicopter flew away from Zenith Tower, Boris sat back on the seat and allowed himself to relax.
Next time, he’d make sure his bodyguard were more prepared.
It was a shame about losing Wallace, she still had plenty of use, but she had served her main purpose. And he still had Chrissie – the shield with which to defend against Black.

The helicopter rocked as if something had struck it.
“What was that?” Karkarov gasped.
“Don’t know, sir,” the pilot replied.
Black suddenly appeared on the seat next to Boris.
“Me,” he said.

On impulse more than anything else, Karkarov lashed out catching a lucky punch on Black’s jaw.
Even the agent hadn’t expected that and Boris surprised himself again by leaping on the man and throwing more punches.
There wasn’t a great deal of room as the two scuffled and although both men were hitting home with feet, knees and fists, neither man could put his all into it.

“BORIS KARKAROV, YOU FUCKING BASTARD!” a high pitched voice screamed causing both men to stop and stare at Chrissie Simmons.
She had picked up the pistol which Black had dropped in his scuffle with the Russian. She was pointing it at Boris.
“Simmons!” Karkarov chastised.
“Shut up!” she threatened and Karkarov went still and silent as the gun, whose 9mm barrel looked more like 120mm at this close proximity, prodded in his direction. “You bastard!” she hissed.
Karkarov said nothing as he and Black disentangled.

Simmons looked to Black. “Were you and Nikki happy? Together, I mean?”
Black blinked slowly, the memory still fairly raw. “I think so. I know I was.”
Chrissie smiled sincerely. “Then I’m happy for us both.”
Black knew that he wasn’t included in that statement.
Nicola Christine Simmons cast an evil glare Boris’ way. “Bastard!” she hissed again.
“You will not shoot me!” Karkarov said outraged.
And the command settled on her mind and she could not disobey.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 am

Slowly the woman dragged herself towards the edge of the building. Her leg hurt like hell, but she had something she felt she had to do and so ignored the pain.
But she didn’t want to do it so every inch closer was a battle between her desire and her compulsion.
She hooked her hand over the edge of the low wall that bordered the rooftop and pulled herself up.
Then she was over the edge.
She screamed and her hand naturally shot out clutching with her fingertips to the stonework.
It was enough to arrest her fall. Thank god for pursuing climbing as a hobby when she was younger.
Her free hand swung up to grab onto the ledge too, consolidating her hold.
But in the back of her mind she wanted to let go so badly.
She fought the urge and instead tried to pull herself back up. Fear flooded her body with adrenaline and her heart pumped faster to distribute it where it was needed, but that just increased the flow from her leg, draining already low stock further and she felt her arms weakening.
She just didn’t have the strength to pull herself up.
And she was cold too. Was that blodd loss, or the fact that she was hanging off the top of a skyscraper in just her knickers, she thought ironically?
Her fingers began to slip and she adjusted her grip in panic, screaming uncontrollably as she did so.
“Black!” she yelled. “Black!”
Her voice was full of the terror of a person who knows they are going to die.
“I don’t want to die in just my knickers!” she sobbed hysterically.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:47 am

Her voice carried further than sound could carry it.
“Wallace?” Caleb Black exclaimed, turning to look out the window back at the distant tower.
“Has she gone for a dive yet?” Karkarov asked callously.
Chrissie didn’t know what the problem was, but she could guess.
She threw open the door. “Go!” she shouted at Black.
Black saw the determined expression and remembered his late wife.
“I’ll take care of Boris,” Chrissie said.
“You cannot shoot me!” Boris laughed maniacally.
Chrissies face screwed up in a snarl. “You cunt!” she growled swinging the pistol away from Karkarov and shooting the pilot in the side of his head.
Boris stared at the pilot in horror as she slumped forward.
Immediately the helicopter began to rotate out of control.

“Caleb!” Susan Wallace screamed as a hand slipped leaving her dangling by just four very tired fingers.
She felt piss flowing down her legs as she realised that she was about to lose even that tenuous grip.

Black blanched white as he sensed Susan’s fear.
He was torn. He couldn’t do both, so should he save Wallace or Nikki?
No! She wasn’t Nikki. “You’re not her,” he said aloud not rrealising it.
“No I’m not,” Chrissie said. “Go and save your girl, Mr Black.”
“You’ll die. I wont be able to make it back.”
“I know I will,” the woman said smiling, holding onto the seat back as the chopper continued it’s wild spin.
“Thank you,” she said with absolute sincerity. She wanted to go.
Black nodded and waiting for the helo to pitch to starboard, stepped out of the port-side door.

“Aaahhhhhh!” Susan Wallace screamed as her fingers lost their strength and she dropped like a stone, the wind a hurricane in her ears.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 am

One hundred… two hundred… three… four hundred miles an hour.
Blood poured from his wounded shoulder, his eyes his nose and his ears as Caleb Black pushed himself far beyond ant limits he had.
Down he flew towards the base of Zenith Tower.
He saw her and arced in towards her.
When he grabbed her in his arms she was barely conscious.
“Grrrrrrrrrrr…..” Black growled as he struggled to both change direction and slow their descent.
The ground was coming up[ real fast.
Looking into her glazed eyes he took heart and through a monumental force of will swept them both in a huge arc back up into the sky.

He knew he couldn’t keep them up for long, had to find somewhere to land.
Spotting a flat roof atop an apartment block he brought them in gently.

There was a distant explosion and Black knew it was the helicopter crashing.
A lance pierced his head as he looked in the direction of the sound.
Then he looked back at Wallace as Karkarov’s hold over her vanished.
“My god!” Susan barely squeaked as the memories of the horror she had lived through flooded her mind.
“Shhh!” Black whispered gently as he brushed stray strands of hair from her face.
He held her in his arms as she cried her shoulders shaking as sobs wracked her body.
“It’s all right, Suz,” he said softly, “I’ve got you now.”
Suz! Her dad always called her Suz. She snuggled into the protecting arms.

She was shaking now, adrenaline, fear, shock and the cold night all having taken their toll on her physical body, on top of everything else she had suffered.

“Susan?”
She moved her head from his neck where she had buried it at his soft call. Had she been asleep?

“I have to fix you,” Black said. “Let me take the pain away.”
His hand moved towards her head and she grabbed his wrist stopping him, knowing what he was going to do.
“Not all of it Caleb,” she said weakly. “You’ll need me to remember.”
Black shook his head, “I’ll be okay.”
“No!” she was as stern as she could muster.
He stared into her beautiful eyes for some time.
“I’m stronger than you think, Caleb.”
No you’re not, he didn’t say. “Okay.”

He brushed more hair away. “I like your hair down like this,” he said a little awkwardly.
She smiled up at him then winced as she moved her leg. “You shot me!”
Black shrugged. “I had to improvise!”
His warm hand went to her blood soaked leg, his tired mind already reaching out to flesh and bone, wanting to heal her more than anything.
Although his power concentrated mostly on the gunshot wound it extended throughout her body, healing the cuts and bruises and abrasions it had suffered over these long few days.
Colour came back to her cheeks.
Looking down at the bullet hole he could see there was still some work to do.
I’ll have to concentrate on that some more,” he said more to himself than to her.
“It’ll heal,” she said, her voice stringer now.
He looked over the rest of her mostly naked form.
Her slender athletic body was in good shape. He checked over her legs, arms, stomach and back.
Other than a few scrapes she was perfect.
She was perfect, he thought.
“I’m cold,” she announced softly.
Black took off his coat and wrapped her in it.
“Caleb,” she sobbed, her eyes filling with tears.
“It’s all right. I’ll make the bad stuff go away,” he said cupping her cheek gently.
She held his hand there, pressing her face into his palm, enjoying the warmth.
“I’ll take away the worst moments, and all of your emotional attachment so that you will have purely clinical memories of events.”
“Okay,” Susan whispered still not releasing his hand, her eyes locked with his. “Thank you, Caleb.”

“I love you, Susan Wallace,” he said to her.
Wallace smiled and closed her eyes as Black’s hand pressed to her forehead and his mind connected with hers.