Chapter I - Epilogue

Details and a record of the characters exploits, successes and failures within the Parallel Worlds.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chapter I - Epilogue

Post by arcanus » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:01 pm

Part I - The Show Must Go On

Belle Meade, Nashville 1978
The assembled fans now numbered in the thousands, the grounds of Simon Reynolds Estate resembling Woodstock.

The past three days had been the usual cacophony of drunken genius and other worldly works.
Even to the uninitiated, Ottos crafts could be felt in the air, almost a tangible thing, a slow accumulation and grounding of power.
This was not a world where power ran freely, instead it slept within the earth, awakened only by those of knowledge or shocked awake.

In this case it was a combination of the two, even Seb who freely and proudly admitted his lack of magical power could feel it, in fact it was he who had noticed a significant change that being the phase of the new moon changing in response to Raz’s almost constant song.

As Otto has assembled curious looking arrays around the Witch, inscribed arcane circuit boards throughout the engine room, bridge and ether cells and installing odd looking generators throughout - Raz had been in an almost constant state of song. It had driven the local dogs mad, even when he wasn’t singing at an audible range to mere humans he was singing to the spheres.

Annette of course could hear this constant melody, however both Reynolds and Mike could also hear this background anthem.
As annoying as Mike was (and he was frequently reminded of this, by everybody, at volume) it turned out that Simon Reynolds publicist had his uses in that he’d deflected the government IRS agents who had arrived the day prior.

It transpired that Simon Reynolds abrupt disappearance some months prior had left some official questions, Mike had intercepted them following which Annette had disarmed their inquiry along the lines of ‘These are not the droids your looking for!’

Of course this would only hold for so long however by which time they would hopefully be long gone.

So preparations were almost at an end, Captain Holt whilst not being entirely sure what Von Weirdigan was doing to her ship had busied her crew on the basis that they were preparing to go home and that it might be a bumpy ride.

Raz was now positioned on stage warming up and trying too out diva the support bands, Otto was making his final preparations and threatening to join Raz on stage, Reynolds stood ready on the terrace keeping a close eye on their helicopter at the rear of the house, waiting for their getaway.

Power chords that seemed to shake the lawn fired from the stage, as the sun sank over the horizon the blue moon could be seen hovering, news helicopters circled overhead.

On the sound stage built with The Witch as its backdrop Raz'eal Sephiroth smiled maniacally and let our another power chord, across the lawn Reynold's smirked as Annette grimmaced and cursed him.

Within both their heads Otto's echoey mindspeak stated "Its Show time!"

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chapter I - Epilogue

Post by arcanus » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:47 pm

Part II - Rocketman

The Simon Reynolds Estate - Belle Meade, Nashville 1978
As twilight settled across the Nashville sky the sound of crickets were silenced by the support bands commencing.

Lights flashed from the sound stage as Country Rock chords flooded from the amps, the lead singer cutting into her opening set.

On the terrace Annette started to wiggle arms in the air, Seb had sobered his work done, he had brought the fans from far and wide, entertained them and opened the proceedings.

His rallying call had lit the tinderbox of excitement, of course the fact that several thousand fans were high as a kite certainly helped.

Otto had completed his exhaustive rituals, stood at the rear of the stage he invoked one of the final command words, within engineering alchemical glyphs erupted in blue light.

Chief engineer King looked at the glowing symbols warily, Otto had assured him it was all perfectly safe but the big Jamaican frowned but readied himself with the lever, a glowing metal capsule suspended over the Ether chamber.

At the same time Captain Holt squinted as her bridge was bathed in the golden glow from dozens of glyphs inscribed across wood panelled consoles, First Mate Gecko glanced at Paige questioningly however she was fixed on the events.

The crowd were going wild as Raz took the stage, his First song sent threads of choral power across the fans, his second accompanied by guitar riifs got the crowd to join in.

Reynolds and Otto watched as clouds seemed to race across the full blue moon, Raz could feel the celestial spheres revolving closer as he crescendo'd the end of the second he tore into the third, the crowds euphoria rose with the underlying song magic energy swirling and building.

By the end of the sixth song Raz was almost on his knees, in an act of showmanship he let his axe swing down to his hip, with a fluid motion unsheathed Requiem and swung the mighty sword toward the first array.

Reynolds signalled to the chopper pilot, nodding he stared the rotars up.
<"Now King"> said Otto, Chief Engineer King pulled the hoists lever down releasing the pellet into the Ether well, for the first time in weeks the cells flared to life and the ship lurched out of the ditch it had carved through the landscaped grounds.

Otto alowed the cliodynamic and spacial plan to unfold in his headware, hid Band of Pursuance flaring to life, he pulsed the arcane code to the array, Raz's song channel poured the accumulated energy from the fans across the air and into the array, responding to Ottos command the second array flared to life.

The first absorbing power and channeling it to the second which in turn flowed it back creating a circular circuit, Otto smiled, he traced the activation symbol in the air and the circular wheel of energy between the gate turned opaque.

The Witch shook as on the other side of the arrays, to the back of the stage strong winds poured from the rippling grey wall that now lay before her, Paige Holt took a deep breath 'Here goes' she thought, "Alright brace yourselves, Lily take her in"

Reynolds allowed himself to breath as the grey disc vanished, the arrays shutting down to reveal that The Witch had gone "Otto, did it work?"
"Bloody cheek of course it worked" replied the Xanthe in mock irritation "She's in lunar orbit, with enough for one more jump, we've got 2 days while the New Moon Wanes"
"Well in that case gentlemen gets get moving" replied Reynolds as he made his way for the chopper

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:27 pm

Part III - Ground Control to Major Tom

NASA STS-1 Maiden Flight - April 2nd 1978
"Houston this is Canaveral Flight Comm commencing pre-flight checks for STS-1"
"Canaveral this is Houston, we hear you, we have T-minus 10 before Astronaut embarkation, please commence pre-flights and tech com"
"Houston, confirmed initiating pre-flights and tech com"

Mission Control - Houston
Flight Director Christopher C. Kraft drew heavily on his Lucky, this was one of the big ones, all eyes on the next stage from Apollo, hell the Apollos were still on the pads, Kennedy had greenlighted the Shuttle before they'd even reached the moon, in the interests of strategic dominance.
Millions of tax payers dollars later and here they were 10 minutes away from Commander John Young and his crew boarding STS-1, Young himself fast-tracked from commanding Apollo 16 in 71 straight into the Shuttle program.

The rush had been it being the next race to win, it hadn't helped that according to the CIA the Soviets had already been working on a space plane before Armstrong had beaten them to the Moon in 69, now all eyes were on them.

"Flight, urgent call in your office" called admin
"What do they want, we're 5 minutes from the crew being onboard?" shouted Kraft
"Its the Brass Flight!"
Kraft rolled his eyes, another call from the Administrator or some Air Force General to tell him how important it was for everything to go smoothly, right at the time when he didn't need silly calls to ensure everything went smoothly.

"This is Kraft"
"Flight Director Kraft" apologies for a call at this time" came a Southern drawl "Its Agent James Ambrose of the NSA, we have detected an anomoly with your ARPANET connection to Andrews Airforce Base, can you check its not a bogie"
"How the hell would you detect that" Kraft Spluttered
"Director Kraft we are the National Security Agency, now time is of the essence, I know how important this one is can you check immediately"
"Yes, Yes of course"
"Good, I will stay on the line" the Agents voice cut through Kraft, he place the handset on his desk and rushed back into Mission Control, leaning over his CATCOMM
"Quietly, can you check the ARPANET connection for anything odd, quickly?"
CATCOMM nodded and tapped commands into the heavy keys

'Embarkment T-minus 1 minute and counting' sounded across Mission control, the crew where nearing the boarding platform.

"Shit, there's a foreign signal in the ARPANET" said CATCOM quietly
Kraft ran back to his office and the waiting agent "You were right there's a foreign signal"
"Alright, we've caught it in time, we've been watching for Soviet interference, switch to backup channel 17, its an unused channel and they won't have time to find it, quickly Flight Director we want to get your boys in the air!"
Kraft put the handset down, he quickly gave the instruction and the ARPANET channel was switched to 17.
'Embarkment T-minus 30 seconds' Kraft noticed the tension had gone up, even the annoucement seemed menacing, almost eerie, 'God dammit' he chided himself 'Pre-flight jitters' but he couldn't shake the feeling of unease even fear, like ringing in his ears.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From a their vantage point at the top of the flight tower Reynold's put the handset down and unplugged his ethercom from the junction box, he shuddered as the tune Raz whistled gave him shivers, turning to Otto he nodded, the big man grinning "We're in!"

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Part IV - Houston We Have a Problem

"Canaveral this is Houston, the crew are heading back down in the lift, CATCOMM has not issued disembarkation instructions - please confirm?"
"Houston this is Canaveral, Ground Comm has issued no disembarkation instruction, we are checking with the Crew now!"
"STS-1 Command this is Houston, we have you heading down in the tower lift, please confirm"
"Houston this is is Young we've got no idea what's going on, but this is freakin the guys and me out, what's going on?"

Cape Canaveral Space Force Station - NASA STS-1 Maiden Flight - April 2nd 1978
The lift arrived at the booster towers ground and the doors abruptly shot open, almost a little too quickly the flight techs looked in shock, STS-1s crew crew led by Commander Young looked at each other, for some reason despite most of them have mutiple missions this one had suddenly scared the hell out of them.

Young looked at the lift controls, the illuminated buttons dark, he hesitantly pressed the button and nothing then quickly withdrew his gloved hand as if from a poisonous snake, there was something really bad about about the lift and it was scaring the hell out of the crew.

"Common boys lets go see what the hells going on!" mustered Young who marched his crew back down the corridor to the awaiting van.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cape Canaveral
The crew safety away, Otto disengaged the shuttles access hatch and the three of them climbed in.
"I am not one to complain but I'm really not going to be comfortable with this am I" interjected Reynolds as he settled in the rear seat to the Commander and Co-pilot, he really couldn't be bothered to argue the seating arrangement out with Raz.

"Well I am sorry your highness, but no its going to be bumpy we might even explode we are sitting on a huge bomb" chided Otto
"Yes thats what I thought, oh its not the death defying parts its the distasteful noise and well....." Reynold's looked around distastefully "The decor"
Otto snarled whilst Raz chuckled, the latter now constantly having his hand slapped away from the dozens of lights, switches and buttons by a irritable Otto.

Otto ran through the pre-flight checks at the same time as monitoring the cctv whilst also sending commands to Mission Control via his jury rigged Commodore PET computer.

'We have Flight Launch in T-minus 3 minutes' boomed a voice across Mission Control
Flight Director Kraft looked around "Who the hell initiated launch' and where the hell were the NSA

"Flight Brass on the line, they don't sound happy!"
Kraft picked up the call from his console
"Flight Director Kraft, this is Agent Ambrose, the shutte is launching, how?"
"I was hoping you can tell me Agent, we Mission Control hasn't greenlighted or proceeded with launch, its very noisy where you are agent"
"Yes, it should be Flight Director I am currently watching your bird firing up to take off at Canaveral"
"This is the Soviets?" replied Kraft
"I think it highly likely, now if you will excuse me Flight Director" and the line went dead

Cape Canaveral
The three of them were strapped in, each wore a breathing helmet of Otto's creation "Here we go" said Otto "Hold on to your hats and your balls"

The ground crew had evacuated the the area rapidly, the boosters flooded the launch pit with an inferno of exhaust, the control tower moving clear and STS-1 lifted off from the ground, the three of them were shaken senseless as the ship ascended to earth orbit in 2 minutes.

Raz howled "Holy Sheeeeet" as the ship sailed into space, as STS-1 cleared the atmosphere its booster rockets fell away in sequence, Otto initiated the Shuttles primary boosters and set their new course, "Gents if you would do the proverbial" said Otto
Reynolds brought up his phone and keyed a command, whilst Raz began to sing.

In the cold vaccum of space the boosters falling towards reentry exploded, Raz'eal released his boon, he had had to call upon Jobe and appeal but eventually with enough platitudes and penance she had acquiesced, he knew there would be a price to pay, a heavy one - but what the hell.

In mission control the NASA personnel watched saw STS-1 vanish from their screens whilst reports poured in from the cape that there had been an explosion in the upper atmosphere, they sat in stunned disbelief.

"She handles like a brick" grunted Otto as he accelerated towards the looming shape of The Witch, and manoeuvred into her converted cargo bay, once down the bay door was swung closed and the compartment pressurised, deck crew quicky securing STS-1.

Otto turned grinning like a Cheshire Cat "A souvenir, she'll need some work but still more spaceworthy than this deathtrap" he nodded upwards at the Witch, his response was a raised eyebrow and a roll of eyes, ignoring his comrade Reynolds disembarked greeting First Mate Gecko at the bottom of the steps.
"If you don't mind me askin Lord Reynold's, what the hell is it" he said looking at the Shuttle
"Its this worlds ethership, old boy and Otto took a shine to her" Gecko nearly nodded
Seb made his way to the nearest comm "Captain Holt, we're aboard and secure lets head home"
"With pleasure, Lord Reynolds welcome aboard!" she depressed the bridges internal comm "Lily take us home"

With not a small degree of trepidation Lily keyed the sequence Otto had given her for the strange device that was now afixed to her flight console, within engineering chief King, noted the klaxon, cleared his team out and returned to the suspended hoist, holding its glowing amber sphere above the ether chamber, preying to the Lord above he depressed the level and send the sphere down into the engines.

The entire Witch jolted as a glittering amber energy poured from the Etheric vents past the screws, the energy ballooned out like an enormous umbrella and then enshrouded the ether ship from back to front.
Paige hesitated
"Common luv" grumbled Otto "Whats the worst that could happen" he said darkly
"Here goes nothing, full ahead"
Lily pressed the propulsion level down to full and pushed the wheel forwards 30 degrees, the Witch accelerated its Ether Screws desperately gripping the strange energy harvested during the concert, it otherwise propulsionless in the void of non-etheric space.

The Witch was buffeted as she entered a swirling tunnel, one made of the amber energy, the void seemed to be trying to pull them back and she strained against the pull.

Lily strained against the helm as it threatened to push back,the Witch fought before the tunnel seemed to grab the ship and pull her in, they careered through the swirling vortex and suddenly they were back in space, however this was different their readings revealed plumes of familar energy running throughout the void.

Her ether screws immediately catching the energy and propelling them forwards as the planet Mars lay before them.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Part V - Etheria I

Mars - The British Imperial Province Olympus Mons -The Labyris Noctis Estate
The arrival of Lord Roborough had caused great commotion, the Sir Reynolds, Lord of The Labyris Noctis had never visited his Martian estate.

Mr Lowe the estates butler had, had a metaphorical heart attack, the staff had gone into overdrive, valets and footmen running around whilst the Maids had tittered at the kerfuffle and his lordships dashing retinue.

"We were expecting you a month ago" Lowe had spluttered once he had shown his Lordship to his study, looking in the mirror and straightening his tie "Yes it took us a long time to get our arses to Mars"
"Pardon me sir, I didn't catch that" replied Lowe
Reynolds turned smiling "We were delayed Mr Lowe"

Later the three companions sat within Reynolds domain study, the mood was dark.
Reynolds had been worried about Sam for a while, their being separated since before the Maelstrom world.

Otto intrigued by this pocket dimension had an epiphany, setting up one of his contraptions on the studies desk, After some tinkering and tuning he had activated it and before long a ghostly voice had emanated.
<"Hello sir, its good to hear you"> said Stradt <"Yes I understand, scanning">

It was later that night that Otto came and found Raz, Reynolds and Annette, sat below the cathedral like peaked glass ceiling of the east wing.
"It took some doing, but Stradt managed to backtrack, we have a parachronic signature being jumped at the time we jumped, its as good a guess as any"
"Can we get there?" replied Reynolds
"We'll need some materials but yes, we'll get on it first thing I've got some catching up to do with the missus, she's not happy" Otto said eyebrows raised