Hunters Moon - IC

In character and game play posts for Aetherium 1879.
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hunters Moon - IC

Post by arcanus » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:00 pm

Moon blinked and squinted her eyes in confusion, slowy realising that she must have blacked out, the injury in her back sent almost unbearable amounts of pain through her however she could feel the wound slowly healing and concouded she was no longer impaled upon the stake.

As her senses returned the world became incredibly loud, leaning her head forwards she heard Bujo roar in pain and responded to what she assumed had been a strike from the monster, his response was to punch the creature the force of which launched it across the warehouse and into its wooden walls with a bone cracking thud.

Sliding to the floor, the creature crouched and hissed at the spirit, Bujo chuckled "COME ON THEN!" he yelled his arms seeming to thicken even further.
Instead the creature stood and an unnerving smile crossed its face, with that its body collasped into thousands of cockroaches which scurried away through a thousand gaps.

Bujo hopped over to Moon and bowed his head, great claw marks ran through the clay like material of his barrel like chest, altough it didn't seem to trouble him "I am sorry I acted against your word and interceded" he nodded to her groan and noticed she was looking over to the corner
"My sympathies, we were too late for Hyun!"

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Re: Hunters Moon - IC

Post by Keeper » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:01 pm

Cheung Moon blinked at Bujo blankly as though she hadn't understood what he had said.
But in fact it was quite the opposite, and his words had numbed her to her core.
Hyun was… dead?
She had failed him, and failed his parents whom she had been sent here to protect yet had not yet met.
Wincing in pain she staggered towards Hyun's body but dropped to her knees and fell forward before reaching him.
She wailed in grief, the weight of her failure staring at her through the blank vacant eyes of Hyun's inert corpse.
Bujo looked around awkwardly, not sure how to react to this open display of emotion and hoping someone might be able to give him some sort of guidance.
Unfortunately for him there was no one else here. He shuffled towards the young girl and put a hand on her shoulder in a way he hoped was reassuring and comforting.

Moon felt the touch and her shoulder-wrenching sobs lessened as she looked up at Bujo's weathered, grizzled face.
Bujo did not speak but she saw the look he gave her.
"Some you lose, kid," he said, offering her his hand.
She took it and dragged her blood-soaked form to her feet, giving her companion a determined but grateful nod.
She stared down at Hyun and walked over on unsteady legs, kneeling beside him she cradled his head and whispered a small prayer to aid him on his journey.
"Sorry," she said softly before rising.
"You should change, young one, that shoulder needs to heal," Bujo said.
"I will, when it is time, but for now I take the pain," she said, finally turning to glance at her companion. “It is showing me the way,” Moon added.
Bujo gulped.
He had seen that look in others before, and it was normally the prelude to something bloody.
Not quite believing himself Bujo went to warn Moon from doing something rash, but the second look into her eyes told him that she was not about to go into a sudden rampage, but at the end of this, someone or maybe even many, were going to pay the blood-price for what had occurred here today.
"Find Tails," she said, "We must regroup and decide how to respond to this.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:42 pm

Water lapped gently on the shoreline, glinting in the moonlight.
Moon sat on a flat rock, mesmerised by the rhythmic ebb and flow, the movement of the water and sound it made on the sandy beach.
She contemplated the water itself, simple and yet intrinsically linked to all life, to everything, all the while dancing to Luna's tune.
In places water could be terrible, consuming land and life in its anger.
Not here though, here it provided nourishment and at times, tranquillity.

Moon caught the scent of smoke on the air, a sign that the winds had changed and were now blowing in from the west, blowing a reminder of what had befallen the peaceful fishing village behind her.
Tears silently rolled down her cheeks as she mourned the loss of life, the tragedy that this village had suffered and she could not lose the feeling that she was to blame, that somehow her enemies had tracked her out into the open waters and wrought this vengeance upon her in a way that she had not been able to comprehend.
Such a powerful summoning, sent against her was not something she had expected, nor was she prepared for it.

She had faced adversaries superior to herself before, and was still here to breathe Gaia's air, but in truth she had not been alone in facing them.
In Cairo and Tibet, where she had been challenged to the extreme at times her survival had not been at her hands alone, but by the combining of hers with her companions.

The thought, memory, reminded her that she was not alone. Although Hai Shi and Ketsomi were a whole continent away she had others here who she could rely on to support her.
That journey to Africa had opened her eyes to the greater world around her, beyond the Beast Courts and the Chino-Asian continent.
It had opened her eyes to a world that held much beyond her understanding too.
Lessons were learned, like not taking on the world alone. A trap she felt she had fallen into again. Yes, she had Tails and Bujo and the young dragon spirit, whose name she couldn't remember right now, but they had been acting like separate entities. They needed to have a more connected approach if she was to succeed in her goal.

Hyun's death was a painful lesson in humility, one she wished she could take back.
But, she could not.
She could only make amends, and seek vengeance.
Her response to this failure would need to be calm, well informed, subtle when it needs to be, and lethal when that is called for.
Right here, now, on this cold beach she was slowly approaching calm, but she was woefully short of well-informed.
Without a full understanding of what was going on then she could be neither subtle nor lethal, with any demonstrable effect.

Timothy Swale had taken shelter from the sudden storm and waited it out. When the darkness had faded and the light of day returned he had emerged from his shelter and seen the smoke on the horizon.
He had run home, a smallholding way outside the city, one of half a dozen independent farms cloistered around a small lake.
Within a half hour he and four of his neighbours rode towards the smoke, tools, bandages, food and a large barrel of water loaded into his old wagon.

The scene that had greeted Timothy and his companions was like something from the battlefields back east that he had had the misfortune to be involved in.
There were burning homes and dead bodies scattered across the whole fishing village.
Some of the dead were just inert, lying upon the ground with no sign of what had ended their lives.
Others looked as though they had been ripped apart.
The survivors milled around almost aimlessly. It seemed as though those here were either alive or dead, no one who had survived whatever had befallen the small village was wounded.

The farmers had pulled the wagon to a halt in the shadow of the ornate carved gate posts that marked the official entrance to the cluster of homesteads.
They had met suspicion that quickly faded to relief when they handed out supplies.
Tim had cast Diego Costa an incredulou look when they began picking through the wreckage.
"Surely there should be some injuries?" he said to his Mexican neighbour.

With the lantern raised, casting it's pale light over the surroundings Tim had almost missed the figure down by the water's edge.
"Diego!" he called over his shoulder as he strode swiftly towards the shape.
"Hey? Are you okay?" he asked as he neared the young woman.

Moon heard the man approaching long before he had spotted her and called out to his companion. She was not concerned, the tone of his call had told her that he was not here as an adversary.
He spoke to her in the language she had heard since arriving in the city, but she could not understand it.

"Jesus Christ!" Tim blasphemed when the lantern light illuminated the young woman's back. Through a great rent in her tunic he could see the flesh of her back, crusted with dried blood.
The tunic too was stained dark with blood, so much so that Tim assumed the woman must have bled out here.
"Shit!" he cried out in alarm when the body before him let out a beleaguered sigh.
As Diego arrived, Timothy said, "Miss? Are you hurt? Miss!"
He touched the otherwise motionless figure lightly upon the shoulder.
At the touch the woman's head whipped around making Tim jump back with surprise.
Her face was covered in grime and dried blood, but even so Tim could see she was young, very young, and under all that filth probably very pretty, but there was a feral look in those dark eyes that gave him pause for thought.

The man stepped away and Moon could see the worried look on his bearded face.
She allowed herself a small smile to allay his fears and he relaxed.
"Do you speak English?" he asked but the blank look told him no.
"Spanish? Espanol?" Diego asked hopefully but received the same response.
"Come!" Tim said despite the lack of understanding and motioned for her to follow.
Moon rose on unsteady legs, tired and stiff from sitting so long on the cold rock.
Diego spotted the short curved sword in its ornate sheath held in the young woman's hand and nodded Tim's attention that way.
Tim shrugged. "Maybe it was her father's? Her clothes are soaked in blood. Maybe she lay beside him when he died?"

They led Moon back into the village, "Senora Donahay?" Diego called out to an older woman who was dishing out water to some of the survivors.
Seeing the two men with the young woman, Mary Donahay swore under her breath and rushed over to take the girl from them.
"Oh, come here, deary!” Donahay cooed and led Moon to the back of their wagon.
"Drink this," she said, handing the girl a mug of water and some bread.

Moon sat on an upturned bucket, observing the harrowed faces of widows, orphans, parents who had lost a child, and the guilt ate at her.

Something nudged Moons leg and a cat entwined itself about her feet. "By the nine Hells!" Tails hissed aghast.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:33 pm

"I wouldn't know, Master Tails,” the soft feminine voice of drifted up from the motionless form before it let out a loud sigh of finality and in one fluid motion, rose to its feet.
Tails cocked his head and silently deserved the girl. "Back with us, then? Care to elaborate?"
"I wouldn't know, sir, as it is all just noise to me. Loud and angry sounding, but I do not know their words. Just one thing to highlight how unsuited I was for this task, or at the very least how woefully unprepared I am for it."
"Well the fat guy isn't impressed about the locals helping out the fishermen," Bujo put forward helpfully.
"I don't need an interpreter, Bujo, I need to understand them. Their language at least, I can learn nuance as I go. I am beginning to wonder if there is anything in this strange land I will ever fully understand.”
Tails padded alongside Moon as she began to head off through the drifting smoke. There may be a way," Bujo said with a degree of trepidation. Moon looked over at her companion.
"I have messed this up to a thorough level Master Bujo. Knowing the white-mans language will help me begin to make reparation for my mistakes. I fear without that, any further action here will just lead to more failure. I am prepared to take on anything that will be of help," Moon pleaded.
To Tails she sounded more defeated than pleading, like hope had been lost and she was desperately seeking an answer.
“Be wary young one,” he warned, “not all things that look like answers can be taken at face value. Do not rush into action led by desperation.”

"Master Tails, my dear friend," Moon smiled at him. "Desperation is the act of the unprepared. I do not intend to be unprepared again, therefore I plan to refrain from acting out of desperation.”

"But knowing their language is something I need even if it is only temporary measure. Our sentai is short by several, putting us at a disadvantage already. I aim to lessen that disadvantage.”

Tails licked at a paw and absently washed behind his ears while contemplating what Moon had said. Not waiting for his response Moon turned to the gruffer of her two companions.
“Master Bujo, what is this way?” she asked as she watched the farmers going about the task of helping the traumatised villagers.
Bujo looked awkward. “Well there's this guy I know who can…” he paused, searching for the correct words, "Who can impart certain knowledge, or rather certain understanding, for a fee, of course. I could introduce you, only he's, well, despicable could be one way of describing him.”
“Despicable? What do you mean?" Moon asked cautiously.
Again the old man shifted around uncomfortably. "You see, he uses old magic, and his style is unique. His place in erm, quite specific, in terms of decor. And his price is fair given the benefits of what he offers."
"Bujo!" Moon barked. "In what way is he despicable?”
Bujo's shoulders sagged and he let out a long sigh. "His magic is very good, but his methods are unorthodox and,” he paused.
"And creepy?" Tails inquired suspiciously.
"Yeah," Bujo sighed.
“No, no, no!” Tails mewled. "Firstly that guy is a loon! Secondly, we can't get there and thirdly, there is no way Moon is going there, certainty not to Him!"
“He's not that bad!” Bujo countered. "He knows his stuff and his ju-ju works.”
"He's a deviant! Nay he's a bloody pervert!” Tails hissed. “My answer is, no!”
Bujo growled and rose up on his bowed legs. "Who the nine hells asked you? You aren in charge?”
Tails hissed, back arched.

"Stop it!" Moon scolded both, hands on hips. "Master Tails, do you have a better plan?"
Tails stopped in his tracks. "Cheung Moon, not having a better plan is not a reason to jump at a really bad plan.”
“Oh come on! Ji Zhang isn't that bad and he knows what he's doing when it comes to this sort of… shit!."
"I don't doubt his capability, but are you seriously suggesting we take Cheung Moon to that deviant? His methods are not fitting to one such her.”

Arms now folded, a cross lock etched upon her face, Moon glared at the two of them.
"One of you is going to tell me what this is about. What is so worrying about this is Ji Zhang, Master Tails?"
He's a, well a, pervert. He uses his position and skill to coerce, dare I say it, young pretty naive girls such as yourself into degrading situations, all for his own sick satisfaction.”
"But at the end of that, his chi is powerful and its works.” Bujo countered.
Moon could see that Tails was about to object. She held her hands up. "Where will I find this
Ji Zhang?” she asked.
“Jin Shuqin Zhi Lu,” Bujo said enthusiastically. "The Road of the Golden Harp" Moon repeated. “I've never heard of it.”
On the outskirts of the village now, Moon found a flat rock and sat on it, her back towards the wreckage that she felt she had caused.

She was silent for some time, considering everything that both Bujo and Tails had said. Moon could tell that Tails was not happy about the whole prospect of her seeing Ji Zhang character. She also understood why he would object. Moon was here as the sole envoy of the Beast court. Her position was unique, as the courts rarely sent their people out alone. In such a position it would indeed be unbecoming for a young lady to allow herself to be subjected to such an insult and it would also be an insult to the Court itself to place one of it's Lanterns in such a compromising situation.
Just by her limited association with Bujo she was aware that he was not one for decorum or for following the rules. But she also believed him when he said that this creature's magic was strong and that it would work.
Finally Moon came to a decision and stood. "I have decided," she announced in a quiet controlled voice.

"We will go to Jin Shuqin Zhi Lu and meet with this Ji Zhang. But if I do not like what he has to say, or what he does, I will stop it. I know that his methods may involve some humiliation on my part, but given my recent failures perhaps a little humiliation would be penance well deserved."
Moon raised a hand to cut off Tail's objection before it came.
"Fear not, my feline friend, I shall indulge this creature only so far. If I feel he is overstepping or getting too familiar then he shall feel my displeasure. Does that satisfy you, my friend?”
Tails' head cocked to one side as though he was mulling over the question. “If I am honest none of this will satisfy me. I am not comfortable with any part of this plan, however, if you are going to set boundaries then I suppose that will suffice.”
“Then it is decided. I will submit to this one's depravities and secure the ability to communicate with the gaijin.”

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:16 pm

Moon shuddered as the almost tangible curtain between worlds. Normally, for her such a transition was almost seamless, yet this time it had taken considerable effort to push through the barrier.
“That was hard work," Moon commented with some annoyance.
“Yes," Bujo agreed. "Your Hollow is some distance from here.”
“How does distance have anything to do with it? Distance between Hollows, once you have already stepped from the Earth-Mother is merely metaphoric, isn't it?” Moon asked.The question was not a challenge but was in fact for her genuine curiosity and knowledge.
"Bujo is not talking about distance in terms of how far one must travel," Tails said. "He means that this place is the flip side of the coin to your Hollow, metaphorically.”
Moon glanced about while nodding her understanding of Tails’ meaning.

They were in a stone walled windowless room, square and plain and cold.
Ahead of them was a set of dusty wooden steps that led up to a door. The door was poorly made with ill fitting planks and bright daylight could be seen on the other side.
“Right, let's go!" Bujo said, clapping his hands together in excitement. He hopped up the stairs, his single foot thudding loudly and kicking up a cloud of dust.

Despite its rickety appearance the ramshackle door had acted like a barrier of silence, for the instant Bujo pulled it open on creaking hinges, a cacophony of sounds and smells and sights hit them.
Hundreds of people, human, spirit blooded, beast-folk and more bustled about in the street before them.
The Road of the Golden Harp was just that; a long arcing road lined with shops, stalls and eating houses, inns and gambling dens, smoking houses and even a Monastery.
At this end of the Road, Moon could see ramshackle buildings not dissimilar to the tightly packed homes in certain Beijing districts, full of narrow alleyways and three to four storey blocks with overhanging balconies. Washing and plants seemed to take up most of the space on those balconies but here and there an elderly man or woman or something else sat and watched the seeming chaos below.
Smoke billowed skyward either side of the street from numerous cooking fires where vendors plied all manner of street foods.
The myriad of smells set Moon's stomach to rumbling.
As her gaze travelled up the street, her raised vantage point in the doorway granted her a view over the throng.
Colourful flags and ribbons hung from poles that lined the street; Chinese lanterns of all shapes and sizes and colours floated on ribbons above the street, some held glyphs depicting the name of the merchant or vendor below. The further away one got from this point, Moon noticed, the more opulent and grand the buildings became.

There was a mix of cultures represented in the architecture too, some obviously Chinese, some Japanese, some from Josean even, and some buildings were a mix of many. Not all represented the Asian world either. Dotted here and there were more western looking structures including a mediaeval stone tower and what Moon now recognised as an American Saloon.

A thousand voices, customers and vendors alike, mixed into an almost deafening roar, with music played by little clusters of bands or solo musicians washing over the din.

"Nine Hells!" Moon said aloud in wonder.
"Great isn't it?" Bujo grinned. "Come on!"
He led Moon into the bustling crowd where she got a better look at the people.
Some looked normal, some the animal headed Beast- folk, some clearly non-human denizens of the spirit world.
“So many people!" Moon said following Bujo.
"Yes. But not as many as you'd think. Not everyone you see here is real. Some are a part of the Hollow, just a moving feature to improve the ambiance of the Road. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of actual folks here, all the vendors and whatnot," Bujo grinned again obviously in his element.

They walked on, weaving their way up the Road. Moon's gaze was pulled this way and that as she marvelled at silks and sweet cakes and trinkets being sold on stalls to the left and to the right of her. Suddenly a figure loomed out of the crowd, gaunt and dark. Her senses screamed at her and instinctively she smelt the truth of its nature. This was one of the Hungry Dead. She stepped back, her hand to the hilt of her sword. The beads about her neck grew hot.
The creature's hollow eyes glared at her.
Suddenly a firm huge hand grasped her sword arm before the blade had been unsheathed more than an inch.

"Easy young one Bujo said calmly. "Any and all are welcome on the Road. It does not do to disturb that peace.”
The beads flared again and Moon felt her rage wane.
The Jie sile seemed to realise that the girl was taken by surprise and it backed away with a wry smile and a slightly patronising bow of its head.

With the events of the past few days, Moon couldn't help but be suspicious of the creature and her eyes followed it as it disappeared into the crowd.
Bujo dragged her onwards.
At this point the Road opened out into a square, with the monastery-like building on one side and a row of shops the other. Herbalist, an odd little bookshop and sandwiched between the two a dark plain building constructed of wood with a plain red door.
"Here we are then,” Bujo announced.
Silently Moon nodded to her companions and Bujo pushed open the door.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Moon felt a sudden and overwhelming trepidation as she stepped through the threshold. The exterior visage of the property looked rundown and unkempt. The young Joseon woman couldn't tell if that was a sign that bode well, or bode ill.

Perhaps, she thought, this Ji Zhang is so engrossed in his work that such mundane things as building maintenance didn't occur to him?
She preferred that explanation to the other that popped into her head, that being this Zhang character was not very good and couldn't afford to.

As Meer stepped through the dark, slightly foreboding entrance her opinion toook a dramatic swing towards the former idea.
Inside was well lit, the front windows shuttered for privacy, were lined with candles and many lanterns hung from the ceiling.
Comfortable chairs were neatly arranged opposite one another flanking a low table that held more candles and where incense sticks burned.
One corner of the quite plush room was taken up with a small counter behind which stood a short humanoid creature with elfin features, rose-pink skin and curly blue hair that barely reached the girl's shoulder, out of which poked long slender pointed ears.
She wore a traditional chinese dress that appeared to have been modified so that it was much shorter than would be acceptable in normal social circles, and was also much more revealing than normal.

"Hello, and Welcome," she greeted then in Cantonese. "The House of the Heart's Wish hopes you are well and hopes that it offers all that your heart may wish. How may we help you today?” the young elfin creature said with a beaming smile that revealed sharp teeth.

Moon looked at Bujo for guidance, but her companion's face was screwed up in confusion.

"Erm…" he said slowly as if to highlight his confusion. "I thought this is where Ji Zhang operated from?”

"Yes, yes!" the girl said “Dr. Zhang is here today. You are very lucky, he is normally very busy.”
"I'm sorry, but who are you?” Bujo asked.
“Oh, so sorry, am Ai. I am Dr. Zhang's assistant.”
“Assistant?”
"Yes, as I say, very busy. What can we do for you?"

Bujo didn't reply and stood there motionless, like an oddly shaped statue.
“I want to understand the white-man's language that they call English. Bujo said that Ji Zhang could help me with that?"Moon said softly.

Ai peered around the bulk of Bujo's frame and looked Moon up and down with critical cat-like eyes. Her face broke out into a wide bearing smile.
"Yes!" she purred. "You most certainly will do." Something about Ai's gaze made Moon blush. Bujo hadn't missed it either and it seemed to perplex him even further.
“Right, well, perhaps we can speak to Ji Zhang?" he fumbled the words.
Ai smiled at him. "Of course," she said and bowed before turning and passing through a bead-covered doorway.
"Is something amis, Bujo?" Moon inquired quietly. "I'm not sure. It's different and I'm surprised but that doesn't make it wrong.”
"Should I be worried?"
"Nah, I'm sure it will be fine,"
"Why is it different?"
"This is clean, neat and she is here. Zhang is less... tidy, and he didn't have an 'assistant’. If that's what she is?"

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:08 am

"That is exactly what she is now, Bujo one-leg,” said a voice from the back room. It sounded deep and slow and considered, creaking like trees in an ancient wood.
Moon had the impression of an aging schod master, looming and slightly condescending, as though dealing with other people. was beneath him.

The bead curtain was parted and a tall gaunt figure stepped through. He wore a kimono all in black that hung loosely on his thin frame. His skin was taught, stretched, as though it belonged to a smaller person. Thin whispy hair perched atop an otherwise bald pate.
The newcomer, who Moon took to be Ji Zhang walked slowly towards her, eyeing her over very much like Ai had, only this time Moon felt more like a specimen being studied.

Zhang held a large wooden goblet in long bony hands with elongated fingers that were tipped with talon like nails.
He thrust it towards Moon.
"Drink," his ancient sounding voice commanded. Maan took the goblet from Zhang and nervously glanced at Bujo. The toad-like spirit shrugged but nodded for her to do so anyway.
"It is just water,” Zhang said.
Moon drank.
"All of it," Zhang said.
She continued to drink as Zhang turned to Bujo.
"A superb specimen, old friend. You never disappoint when you come to see me, he said.
"Can you help her?"
Zhang indicated the goblet. "I have already, begun, However, I must know how the payment is to be made?"
Bujo fidgeted a bit, as though contemplating saying something he wasn't comfortable with.
"You may take the usual you desire. As for the price cost, consider my favour called.”
Zhang cocked his head sideways. “That seems a high price to pay. You really wish to call in my marker for this?”

Bujo huffed, “That is my concern, ‘Doctor’ Zhang, Bujo spoke the last laced with sarcasm. "Call it speculation, if you must call it something."

"Very well, I accept. Young lady, finish that drink and pass into the Chamber yonder," Zhang waved his hand towards the curtain.
Moon dawned the water and stepped through the beads.

Here the place was darker, not so well tended. The large open room was lined with racks containing bottles of all shapes and sizes, there were also other items that Moon realised were used in alchemy and enchantment, from clumps of herbs, to ground bone. to bat wings to glowing crystals and many things in between.
In one wall a fire burned in a store hearth casting flickering shadows about the room.

Ai was standing in the centre of the room smiling at Moon.
She held a full goblet in her hands. "Drink," she said.
With a heavy sigh Moon took the drink.
Ai waited patiently and expectantly while Moon finished the water.

“What's in it? That wasn't just water?" Moon asked casually.
"Something to help it pass," Ai said cryptically.
At that moment Zhang and Bujo pushed through the beads.
Zhang's solid black eyes fixed on Moon.
"Ai, if you please." Ai nodded and took Moon's pack and her sword and placed them respectfully on a nearby bench.
"You must disrobe, please," Ai said happily. "Right!" Bujo coughed awkwardly. "That's my queue to leave!"
"You aren't staying with me?”

Rather amusingly Bujo looked incredibly embarrassed.
"No, no, no! Wouldn't be right! Not right at all. I should leave you to it." He began backing away.

"I'll stay," Tails said as he jumped up on to the bench beside Moon's sword.
"Master Tails! I hadn't seen you come in," Moon said with some relief.
"That is somewhat the point!" Tails quipped. "But for propriety I shall remain."
He turned his head towards Ai and Zhang.
“Do what you must, but do not overstep your bounds. My response you will not like much,
hers, however you will positively hate.”
“Righty-oh!” Bujo said, and was gone quickly.

Zhang approached the cat. "The young miss is not obliged to undergo the ritual," he croaked.
"It is quite alright, Master Tails, I am prepared to endure," she said.
"To a point," she added pointedly looking at Zhang.
He merely smiled his acknowledgement.
Tails turned on the spot several times, scratching at the table's surface to make it 'more’ comfortable before curling up in a ball.
"I am listening," his muffled voice called out.

“Disrobe, please,” Ai repeated the command.
Slowly, rather self-consciously, Moon began removing her clothes.
Ai almost jumped forward to help, tugging at sleeves and belts to speed things along.
Meanwhile, Zhang was selecting several small bottles from shelves and stacking them alongside some wand looking item. He then moved to a rack where numerous scrolls were rolled up and packed tightly.
His hand hovered over the ends of the scrolls, open, but fingers together. After some moments one scroll began to glow a light pink colour and rattled and shuffled its way out of the rack finally leaping into his hand.

Zhang studied it and with a satisfied nod placed that alongside the Wand.
Then he turned to face the now naked young women.
"Excellent,” he commented.
Man felt her face flush and she instinctively covered herself with her hands.

Zhang chuckled, an odd sound like footsteps on gravel. "My interest in you is purely on a mystic level, Miss Cheung. I have no notions towards anything sordid, despite the sometimes unseemly reputation I am aware I have garnered.”
He didn't say anything else and moved to the table, opening up a number of the bottles, unfurling the scroll and, as though following a recipe, began pouring varios amounts into a bowl. Moon glanced at Ai who was just standing there, smiling, looking Moon up and down expectantly. The young Josean girl, was unsure what the odd looking young lady was expecting.
Suddenly, Moon started to feel rather uncomfortable. Not because she was feeling self-conscious, or prudish about standing completely naked in front of complete strangers.
Rather, her discomfort was coming as a result of the two rather large mugs of water she had been asked to consume.
Moon shuffled about a bit.
"Yes, yes!” Ai hopped from one foot to the other. "You are feeling pressure?" she asked excitedly, a bit like a child.
Moon nodded.

"Marvelous!" Zhang exclaimed and picked up a round ceramic bowl from the floor beside him. He held it out before Moon. "Use this, do not hold back the flow.”

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:57 am

It took a moment for Moon to realise what he was asking. Taking the bowl she glanced about sheepishly. "Is there somewhere I can go?"

Zhang had turned back to his work and looked disdainfully over his shoulder. "Right there will do,” he said in his beyond the grave voice.
Again Moon coloured up, but she had said that she was prepared to accept a degree of humiliation as penance for her failure. Peeing into a pot white completely nude in front of two absolute strangers and your sprint guardian had to be about as humiliating as she could think of in these circumstances.
Ai grinned at her, her cat-like eyes urging her on, so with a face that Moon felt could not get any redder, she squatted over the bowl and let it go.

Moon's gaze was fixed firmly on the floor, the woven reed matting, and found herself wondering how many people had found themselves in just such a compromising position?

"May I ask, was it necessary for me to be naked?"
Ai gave her an incredulous look. "Yes," she said. "Not for this moment but for the next, The doctor will explain when we get to the next part."

Finished, Moon stood and face glowing as red as it ever had, she looked down at the rather full bowl. "What should I do?"
"Oh, nothing. I will do it," Ai smiled and picked up the bowl.
She took it to Zhang who glanced at the contents and sniffed deeply.
“You are a changing one? A servant and protector of Mother Gaia?" Zhang asked.
"Yes, is that a problem?" Moon queried.

“No,” Zhang said, returning his attention back to his potion mixing.
Her self-consciousness ebbing somewhat, Moon strained to see what the strange looking doctor was doing.
Zhang noticed, and his head tilted to one side as though contemplating.
"Very well. This,” he indicated the scroll, “describes the ritual I must perform, the ingredients I require and the glyphs I must inscribe and the incantations I must utter."
“These,” Zhang pointed to the various bottles, “are the more mundare alchemaic ingredients for this potion, including herbs, chemicals, and the blood, sweat, tears and urine of a person who knows what you desire to learn. It will be combined with the same from you and used to inscribe the glyphs upon your person.
Then the words of the spell are spoken and the glyphs imbued with some of my considerable power.
Moon remained silent.
"The effect is that the knowledge invested within the potion is released into you like a seed to grow and develop.
"How long does the seed take to grow?" Moon asked with obvious excitement.
Zhang laughed, "That depends on how well you water it."
"Water it?"
"The longer you expose the seed to that cumbersome language the quicker it will grow.”
"Ah, I see."
Zhang gave her what she thought was a smile and then took a ladle. He dipped it into the bowl of urine and poured some into a jug.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:07 am

Next Zhang poured a brownish powder into his palm, turned to face Moon and blew it into her face.
Moon coughed and screwed her eyes up, they burned!
"What is this?" Tails hissed, claws exposed as he stood.
"For the tears!" Ai squealed in Zhang's defence.
Tails glowered at her but nothing more.
"I understand," Moon said with obvious discomfort, eyes clenched shut. "Some warning next time.
"Apologies young Khan,” Zhang said, "I merely became engrossed in the task.”
"Hold still," Moon heard Ai whisper.
Through one partially open eye Moon could see Ai holding up a tiny bottle, which she pressed against Moon's cheek.
"Open your eyes, please,” Ai said softly.
Forcing her burning eyes open, the tears began to flow.
Ai was much shorter than Moon, who was considered tall for a Josean girl, and had to stretch up on tiptoes.
She wobbled and put a hand on Moon to steady herself.
Once more Moon's face flushed red, the hand having been placed somewhere intimate.
Ai continued her work, but made no effort to remove the hand until she had completed the task.
"Look at me," Ai swhispered and Moon couldn't help but lak into the young fey's cat-like eyes..
Ai blew softly on Moon's face and the burning sensation faded immediately.
“Better?” Ai asked with an alluring smile, that Moon could not resist.
She felt her heart skip a beat, her pulse raise, her breath catch, and the hand at her breast felt like it was on fire.
With a little giggle, Ai pulled away and handad the bottle to Zhang.
Moon felt her mounting passion subsiding immediately.
"You're a Nymph?" Moon stated more than asked. Ai flashed a smile that once more shade her heart skip and her face flush with arousal.
"Stop that!" Moon chastised, but something within her couldn't be too cross about it.
Ai giggled hysterically like a child and the feelings subsided again.

If Zhang had worn glasses he would now be peering, disapprovingly over the top of them. "That doesn't help my reputation, Ai,” Zhang rumbled.
"Oh, but she's so pretty," Ai said like a scolded child and pouted at Zhang.
"Enough! We have much to do, young one. Blood please,” Zhang instructed.
Ai nodded and fetched a small dagger with a thin sharp point.
"This one is easy," Ai cooed and took Moon's hand, pricking a finger and then picked up a small vial.
Ai frowned heavily as she took Moon's pricked finger to find no evidence of a wound.
Moon remained silent, but smiled to herself. Zhang an Ai had had the upper hand throughout this process and now, even if just for a moment she would enjoy the win.

Once more Ai grabbed the blade, priched the Ich the few chrops of the vich to catch the by the finger and hold blood she needed. But, time she had swapped hands, there was no more blood, and no more wound.
"Oh," was all Ai could say.
Moon took the knife and held out her arm, telling Ai where to hold the small bottle.
She sliced her wrist open deeply, wincing at the pain. Blood flowed quickly, collecting in the vial and filling it to the brim.

Ai was mesmerised as she watched the flow stop within moments and the deep wound knit closed and then fade from sight leaving no trace it had ever been there.
"Wow! That's really amazing,"Ai breathed.

Moon smiled at her.

Zhang took the vial, “It's Ai’s first full spirit blooded,” he explained and then added the contents of the vial to his mixing bowl along with a small amount of Moon's urine.
"Sweat,” he rumbled the single word instruction.

Ai searched through the bottles and jars on Zhang's bench and found a short fat jar with a waxed paper seal.
"This ointment will raise your temperature rapidly. I will collect some of your sweat. Its effects are only for a short moment," Ai explained.
Moon nodded consent and Ai applied the milky cream to Moon't chest and neck.
Moon felt the heat rise, felt the moisture develop at her brow and on her top lip but no beads formed.
Ai frowned at Zhang.
“I cannot see much forming, should I apply more?”
Zhang nodded.
Ai applied the ointment to Moon's back and shoulders, then after no joy then applied it to her abdomen, her buttocks, and her thighs.
Moon stood rock still, legs slightly apart, arms held out to her sides, feeling more sticky than hot.
Warm, maybe.
"Nothing.” Ai said exasperated.

"Hmmm," Zhang said, making a sound like boulders rolling down a stoney rockface.
His small dark eyes seemed to sink back in his head and he rocked and swayed where he stood.

With a heavy sigh Zhang placed a lid over the bowl in which he was mixing his concoction.
"It seems that Miss Cheung does not sweat easily. I have seen a way, however. Ai, I must ask you to take care of this situation as it suits your talents better than mine.”

Ai cockeded her head sideways as she regarded her mentor. "Oh?" she said, confused.
"OH!" she said with wide surprised eyes as the yuan finally dropped and realisation sank in.
Adopting a serious poise she bowed, then bowed to Moon.
"Follow me please," she said.
The small fey girl led Moon through a door off to the side of the room.
Tails stood and stretched.
"I would leave them to it," Zhang advised.
Tails cast Zhang a stern glare until it dawned on him too.
"Oh," he said.
Zhang shrugged and stood statue-still, waiting.

Keeper
Magi
Magi

Post by Keeper » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 pm

Outside Zhang’s, the curving street was as packed as it was then the three had arrived.

Moon left the clinic with a flushed face and shaking legs.
“Everything went well?" Bujo asked as Moon and Tails emerged from the red doorway.
"Yes!" Moon snapped almost a little too quickly. Bujo shot a glance towards Tails but the cat ignored him, moving off through the crowd.
"Where are you going?" Buyo called after him. The cat stopped and called back, "I must see a man about a dog!”
"What about Moon?"
"Take her home. She needs to, eh, sleep it off."
More confused than ever, Bujo looked skyward, took a deep breath and let it out slowly.
Looking at Moon he could see she was flushed, and looked a little unsteady.
He could see some sort of symbol painted on her skin, it emerged either side of her neck, above her clothes. An arrow that curved over her jaw and up her face to point at her temples.
He could smell the magic emanating from them. "Come then, Bujo huffed and led Moon back through the street to the ramshackle building, and back to where they had come from before arriving here.

Moon stept a long deep sleep full of mixed-up nonsensical dreams.
She awoke with a start, looking around her and couldn't get her bearings for a moment, until she recognised the cave.
She rolled over and noticed her things and saw the markings painted on her skin and the memories came back.

She remembered things after her time with Ai in only a blur as though the memories were clouded by some sort of toxin or drug.

They had emeged from the back room some time later, Ai leading a wobbly Moon by the hand.
She had guided Moon to stand before Zhang and offered the eccentric alchemist sorcerer the drops of sweat she had collected.

Zhang had proceeded to mix the sweat with the other substances to form a brown-red paste.
He'd cast some sort of enchantment over the liquid and had made Moon lay on the floor.
He'd knelt beside her and painted flowing symbols on her flesh in slow, methodical strokes, croaking an incantation all the time.
The painted markings, of which there were many, it seemed, around her lower parts, then progressed up her body in a long line, mystic symbols either side on her abdomen, her ribs, leading up between her breasts to branch out at her chest, either her side of her neck, her face to her temples.

When Zhang had finished he'd handed Ai a disk of rice paper upon which he had inscribed several symbols in mandarin and what he had said was English.
This Ai placed somewhere intimate, something Moon didn't flinch at this time.

Within moments she had felt the Mana surge from her loins, up the markings to her mind, and then... nothing.

That was it, apart from Moon feeling very tired, exhausted even, there was no sudden boom and she could suddenly speak this English or anything.

Zhang had merely told her to get dressed and had gone about cleaning his equipment.
Ai had helped, led Moon and Tails to the reception room, and explained that the fee had been paid already.
After that, everything was as though she'd been in a trance.

In her cave, her safe space, she climbed to her feet and looked around for her clothes.
Piled in a corner were those she had won two nights ago crusted solid with dried blood.

The confusion from yesterday's events went away in the cold bitter realisation of what had happened There was no sign of Tails or Bujo, so the young woman dressed, armed herself and, finding the mirror on the back wall, she stepped through the astral barrier to the physical world.

Moon found herself on a hillside overlooking the expanding city of San Francisco.