Shadow Moon

In character and game play posts for Aetherium 1879.
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:51 pm

San Francisco Chinatown - Near Pacific Avenue
It was two hours until midnight, the sun having now set and the predators crept from their holes.
San Francisco was a city in the midst of a struggle, a very simple one between the Frontier and Civilisation, on one hand it boasted its wealthy and privileged who had brought money, arts, theatres and mansions on Rincon Hill.
On the other the lawless, the coast was a wild place, the docks and south of the city as lawless as the frontier and even its city districts were home to gangs and outlaws, it was a constant struggle.

To add to this melting pot in recent weeks the generally quiet Chinatown was now plagued by fighting between Chinese and other eastern gangs or Tong, crouched on a rooftop above a narrow street running off Pacific Avenue a man watched from the shadows.
His companion had quietly and swiftly descended down to the street, their patrol had brought them to the scene of a killing, not unusual in itself and ordinarily of no interest, however the smell of burning yang chi and a slick of shining orange gold blood upon the cobbles had demanded their attention.

At street-level the second figure quickly scouted the area, disappearing into a warehouse before reappearing several minutes later, the man on the roof remained vigilant, the street was quiet but these things were deceiving especially in these unharmonious days, lanterns glowed dimmly swinging on their mounts and the breeze sweeping down from the North Bay rattling the buildings window shutters.

The figure on the ground placed her left fist against her upright right open palm, she whispered something and placed a fluttering scroll on the body and another on the head some way away, she stood back as the body, head and blood erupted in bright blue flames.
The man on the roof turned seeing figures walking down the street, he concentrated raising his right hand as if in greeting and blew upon the back of his left fist, the woman sensed a cold breath upon her ear, immediately turning and in two strides had crossed the street and bounced up onto the rooftop ino the shadows.

They watched as the figures all fellow orientals arrived, they made much noise angrily gesturing at the flurry of ash being blown away by the breeze, they looked around but saw no one, further outraged shouts as they ventured into the warehouse, angry exchanges in Manchurian before their juniors where sent running with word.

Unseen the two figures watched, "This will not end well!" said the man in Xiang, "What did you see in the warehouse?"
"Two more dead, more Wing Kong, these were not Shen"
The man was silent for a few moments thinking, they let the Kongs dramatic anger become loud once again
"It bears the mark of another hunter" she added
"How so?"
"Clean, precise, the Kong stood little chance, the Shen also presented little struggle, someone with strong training and martial skill"
"But not one of us, they did not know of the I Shen" he replied
"True, but how can we be confident that all of our brethren receive good training, it is not as if there is a school just what a teacher knows to teach"
"True, but until we know better it is another agent in the night and the Wing Kong need little excuse to start another street fight"
"Yes, however we should be careful not to miss the significance of events"
The man turned and looked at the woman "The Shen!"
"Yes, Xang Lo tolerates none within his territory"
"Let alone his ranks" finished the man "So this one was uninvited!"
"Which matches what we have seen, the Hungry Corpses are expanding"
"This bodes ill"
"Yes especially for our communities"

The Wing Kong had now finished searching the warehouse, fully of wrath they closed it up and headed deeper into China town, the street growing quiet once again two figures quickly darted across the rooftops silently following the Tong from above.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:12 am

The Dragons Eye Curio Shop
In the dim light of the backroom Mao Chang winced as he mopped up spots of blood from the floor.
Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a sliver of light as the backdoor creaked open, he grimaced as pain flared from his ribs.
"Its okay, go home" he called
"Father, what has happened" came the reply as his daughter Mao Jia wove through the stock shelves and appeared around the table
"It is alright, it's nothing, nothing" he waved her away
She helped him up worry written across her face "Father, its not nothing, who did this"
Chang smiled touching his daughters face tenderly "Don't worry its fine"
Jia frowned at him, but before she could say anything the bell above the shops front door rang, they both turned at the sound
"I locked the door" whispered Chang "Jia you must go now, quickly"
"I am staying right here, you can't look after yourself" she shot back, he shot her an infuriated look
Chang followed by his daughter stepped out through the low doorway from the backroom into the shop, looking to where the floor went up a level towards the entrance.
A tall thin oriental man dressed in an ornate purple velvet suit stood between the cabinets, both hands resting atop his walking cane, he smiled a gesture that seemed to take up his entire face.
"Mr Mao, Miss Mao, forgive my intrusion"
"Can I help you sir, we are closed" replied Chang
"Yes, oh course, I saw the door was open, I stopped by out of concern I understand you had some trouble this evening?"
"No nothing, just some youths misbehaving, thank you for your concern"
Jia frowned as through the window shutters she could see figures waiting outside
"Mr Mao, the Wing Kong are hardly youths misbehaving!" replied the man
"Father, what's this?" said Jia concerned
"Its nothing, nothing" replied Chang
Their attention was drawn to someone entering the shop from the backroom
"Does no one understand we're closed!" grumbled Chang in frustration
The smile slipped from the thin mans face and he looked like he trodden in something unpleasant as the new arrival walked from the shadows at the back, a severe looking woman in her sixties, silvered hair pulled back into a tight bun, dressed in the hanfu of a farmer.
She looked past the Mao's locking her gaze with the thin man.
"Mao's forgive the intrusion, please leave this matter to me, be assured no harm with come to your property!"
Chang looked annoyed but nodded to Jia "Come, let us get you home", the pair of them stepped past the woman, who waited until she heard the backdoor close.

The thin man and severe woman stood for a while regarding each other, before the thin man smiled once again, a mocking smile
"It was but a matter of time before the Shih revealed themselves!"
"We've been here amongst our people, you only needed to look Shade Walker!"
He frowned 'There is little need for discourtesey" he replied
"The same discourtesey you display by troubling innocent souls who are no concern to you!"
The thin man looked about him as if seeing something unseen in the air "Your I Shen is impressive"
"Sufficient to stop your underlings" she retorted
"But not a servant of heaven!" he sparred,
She laughed "Is that what your parents tell you, neither you nor your masters are servants of heaven, vermin that hide in the dark and prey on the virteous!'
He snarled then composed himself "And your duty is to protect the virteous from being preyed on yet you left poor Mr Mao to beaten by agents of a Shen, sounds like your not up to your alleged task Shih!"
She stiffened and it was her turn to look uncomfortable "We cannot protect everybody and the Wing Kong are just mortals"
He smiled mockingly "Oh I understand, but thats not quite true is it, the Wing Kong are servants of a Shen, no different to I, yet you appear as soon as I offer Mr Mao help whilst do nothing to stop him being beaten"
She glared at the thin man, who continued
"But you are happy to fight the Wing Kong to protect your property, that sounds like you are more interested in protecting your business that the virteous Shih, however we will ensure Mr Mao and his shop are safe!"
"He needs not your help"
"In view of your inability, it appears he does and it is not up to you"
She took a step forward menacingly
"Come come" he purred "I thought we had talked of courtesies!"
She drew in a deep breath
"Your time is limited Shih, the Mao's are interesting, especially this little curio shop, but the Tea House!, now that is the prize, one way or the other my masters will fulfill their mandate under heaven and acquire it" he turned to leave before stopping at the front door
"Of course you can protect your people by making that easier and just hand it over, can't you!"
With that he stepped out into the night, the locks in the door mysteriously sliding shut as he shut the door behind him, leaving the severe woman stood in the dark empty shop.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:14 pm

The Huángjiā mòlìhuā Tea House - Gongshang Tuenti Guildhouse - Tianyun Square
The Royal Jasmine Tea House was a large open hall situated within indoor gardens on the ground floor of the Guildhouse.
Despite its Chinese name it had welcomed settlers from across the east who had made San Francisco their home, from first thing in the morning until the late evening it had folks of all ages getting away from hours of hard graft through the way of tea.

This morning the usually fragrant air of the tea house was heavy with a cloud of pungent Shifang black tobacco smoke, the elderly patrons wrinkled their noses and looked at the source in disgust.
The source being a swarthy old man who was cheerfully puffing on his big cigar, much to the chagrin of the little oriental girl who was sat across the table scowling at him.
"Why haven't you got me a drink, you got one!" complained the little girl
"Order one yourself" retorted the old man
The girl looked horrified "I can't I'm too little, they won't serve me!"
"Why zat my problem"
"You're the grown up"
The old man betched very loudly provoking complaints from nearby tables, squinting through his black cloud he gave the girl a scornful look.
"Will you cut it out, assume a grown up form and order yourself a drink or stop moaning", "Stupid dragon" he looked around conspiratorially and poured a slug of Baiju into his coffee "Mmmmm" he purred
A waiter approached the table, screwing up his nose, wafting the smoke away "Honourable sir, please put out your cigar, its causing very bad chi for the patrons"
The old man howled with a great barking laugh and for several moments struggled to compose himself, tears rolling down his face
"You wouldn't know good or bad chi......" he descended into further fits of laughter "if it smacked you in the face" then abruptly he stopped, his face dark "Now run along before I shove my fist up your arse and pull out your intestines" he snarled, the waiter grew pale slowly backing away as the old mans mouth seemed to be oddly wider than was possible
"Scat" he growled sending the waiter running

"No one likes you" huffed the girl
"Knock it off and stop the little girl thing, its ridiculous"
"The tiger lady dosen't like you "
The old man raised an eyebrow and shrugged
"She won't she's fierce, she dosen't need you"
The old man blew a great cloud of blue black smoke engulfing the little girl who was gripped by a racking cough "I left her a present, she'll be fine" he replied smacking his lips "After all there's no better celestial calligrapher than I"
"Or forger" she coughed, frowning at him

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:54 pm

Leaving the curio shop Bujo looked around the street, he surveyed the glyphs carved into the awnings and archways and watched as they channeled chi. 'Clever monkeys' he thought, as he turned continuing his observation he spotted something interesting on the first floor of one of the buildings across the street.
For one of his kind and a celestial calligrapher he could see the flow of both Ying and Yang energies particularly those guided by the glyphs, but there were other forms of chi and he could sense those other forms close by.

Most spirits were busy running around completing their tasks handed down by the Celestial Mandate, the will of the spirit courts, so few of them stopped to understand the workings of Chi, how this manifested as their essence.
He wasn't a bad spirit nor evil he just wasn't in such a hurry to carry out silly orders and not enjoy himself, after all he had a lifespan of thousands of years he had the time, his disrepectful attitude had got him in a lot of trouble.

In the blink of a human eye he had vanished, someone looking at him in the street would see him one minute, blink and he had moved on, vanished.
He looked around the penumbra or mirror realm, looking at the echoes and memories of the physical buildings, shaped by events as much as builders craft, his eyes narrowed as he fixed on the opposite end building.

He hopped his single muscular leg propelling him up the street in a few bounds, he crashed through the mirror realm door and up the stairs.
In the Gaian realm he stepped through the door of the second floor room facing the street and looking at the three men dressed in black hanfus and red sashes, peeping though the shutters.

The old man smiled striking a match on the doorway and lit yet another big black cigar, taken by surprise the three sprang to their feet "GET OUT STUPID OLD MAN" one shouted angrily
He noted an interesting set of bronze goggles with white jade set aside on a table, he smiled 'Not so clever monkeys', one of the three advanced upon him menace written across his movements.
Taking a deep drag he blew a great cloud of the brackish blue black smoke, the vapour growing and growing until it filled the room, the three coughed and spluttered, they tried to shout cries of outrage but this just descended into retching, vomiting and them thuds as each collasped.

He waited until the cloud quickly disipated before shuffling amongst the three placing an ornate playing card complete with Korean symbols on each mans forehead, having done so he picked up the goggles and looked smug
"I just wanted to play a hand or two, but you had to be all tough didn't you" he sneered at the nearest unconcious form "Ah well" and with that he limped out of the door and back down the stairs to the street.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm

As he stepped out of the doorway he jumped
“What have you done now?”
He scowled at a tall attractive oriental woman
“Stupid dragon, lurking round corners” he grumped “How do you know I’ve done anything?” He retorted
She looked upwards, following her line of sight he spotted a cloud of black smoke escape the second floor window above, he smiled looking her up and down
“ This is better, very pleasing rather than the silly little girl form”
“Your disgusting” she scolded him, her eyes momentarily flared ocean green “And don’t change the subject what did you do?”
“Unlike you I’m making myself useful and dealt with some snoopers, now it’s your turn you need to weave a fog over the windows and doors of the shop”
She pouted “What if I do not want to, I’m only here to watch you not help you”
He looked unimpressed “Your not helping me, your helping Lady Tiger and don’t start sulking again it’s really annoying”
“I won’t and you can’t make me”
“Fine, be a baby no one cares”
“That’s not true, you do”
“I don’t”
“Do too”

He looked at the stump of his cigar and then gave her an unpleasant look
“I would have thought you would want to show the court that your so much better than me little dragon, maybe you can’t do it, maybe you are a baby dragon who can’t use her magic”
She glared at him, her face wrathful
“Yes that’s it, Bujo is better at magic than any silly dragon”
In the mirror world behind her a thin curtain of fog rolled up from the foundations of the shop, unseen by any mortal it flowed like a blanket up the front and side walls
Her baleful gaze didn’t leave as he again quietly vanished, as the fog curtain stretched from floor to roof a fluttering streamer of prayer sheets flew from his hand.

The stream wove its way through the fog curtain and then spiralled up into the street, as it fluttered past the awning glyphs each shone and slightly changed in shape, the stream returned to his hand and vanished, satisfied he nodded
Once again stepping out of the doorway he smiled, the woman still glaring at him
“Seems I was mistaken Little Dragons can do some magic” he chuckled, she snarled in response
“Right stop standing around looking silly, we have work to do” he said cheerfully strolling up the street

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:38 pm

As evening drew in and the rain descended, Master Tail's watched from a vantage point on the Curio Shops roof, the Dokkaebi's crafting was accomplished although one could see the shop clear as day, nothing could be seen through its windows nor were the faces of those who now entered recognisable.

As the rods of rain struck the flat roof he screwed up his face and retreated under cover, he watched the rain clouds, there was a stirring, his whiskers were twitching, his tail swished as he sensed something on the periphery of his awareness.
Frowning he focused on a lantern swinging in the breeze or rather the light it emitted and appeared in the mirror realm, he immediately flinched his fur puffing up, as on this side raging winds tore across the ghostly echo of China Town.

A great circular thunderhead spun above the city, lighting streaking across its surface, hidden by the cities buildings the horizon was lit by an orange light as if a great fire raged to the west.

He watched as a shooting star flashed from west to east coming down somewhere to the north but close by, he sighed, these were tubulent times and he would have to tell Moon.

He started to make his way back down to the street level.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:42 pm

The store room sat in the corner of one of the many small warehouses spread across Chinatown, this one situated in the enclaves North West corner.
It was a simple affair essentially a rough wooden box with a door, tobacco smoke collecting around the roof from pipes and cigars, the four oriental men looked at each impassively over their cards, whilst rain started to clatter against the main warehouses roof above.

The woman hopped in excitedly, the old man raised an eyebrow in annoyance, the other players all blue collar workers frowned in displeasure to have a woman around, clearly they had no place at a card game.
The old man had sensed the changes on the other side as soon as the rain had started, what these simple mortals failed to understand was that the spirit realms were connected to the the realm of the Emerald Mother, they were all part of creation, things could happen separately but they could also be linked.
He knew that a great storm raged on the other side, these storms became more frequent and the rain was its passing by the wall, he silenced her impending outburst with a look, in turn her face became sulky, he really had offended Heaven, not only was he bound to a Tiger but he was plagued by a juvenile dragon and one permitted to walk amongst the humans, he blew out a deep breath in resignation.
His opponents smiled conspiratorially taking this as some form of resignation or tell, this delighted him, in return his eyes shone and that uncomfortablely wide grin spread from ear to ear, they returned to frowning and scrutinising their cards.

The main doors to the warehouse creaked open, too slowly for it to the wind the players looked up and none moved to see who it was, the girl looked around frantically but then grimaced as a young chinese man with a shaved head appeared in the store room door, she could see others behind him.
The man was dressed in a padded copper colour tunic, a white sash drawn about his waist, beneath the tunic a cotton shirt and similarly coloured tradesman's pants, his shins bound by straps below his knees with simple plain open toe slippers on his feet.

"YOU, WE WOULD TALK WITH YOU!" he demanded loudly towards the old man, who's eyes didn't leave his cards
"So what?" replied the old man "I am trying to play cards"
"WE DEMAND YOU COME AND TALK TO US!" the other players looked at each nervously
"Demand all you want, dosen't mean I'm going to just do what you say Boy!"
"YOU SHOULD BE CAREFUL, DO YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE!"
"Call" said the old man to the other players, who were caught somewhat off guard, each nervously laid their cards down, the old man smiled producing his winning hand, the other players looked in disbelieve and resignation, the old man had bluffed them through numerous raises.
Pulling his winnings to him, he turned as the first shaven headed man stepped into the store room clearly with the intent of grabbing the old man, who just sighed.
"Would you mind" he said to the other players, who required no second invitation to make themselves scarce, once they had scurried from the store room he gestured to the serious young men to take a seat

"So whats the problem?"
"YOU ARE A RIVAL GEOMANCER" said the man seriously
"Pardon, I'm a what?" the old man replied
"A PRACTITIONER OF FENG SHUI" scolded the young man
The old man looked confused "And if I were?" he replied with a bored tone
"WE LOOK AFTER FENG SHUI FOR THE PEOPLE OF CHINATOWN"
"Son I might be old but I am not deaf, stop shouting, it dosen't make you sound bigger or threatening" one of the other men who had remained standing stepped forward "And I wouldn't recommend you do that" said the old man without turning around
The old man leaned forward and locked his gaze with the young man "So who are you charitable people" he said quietly
"We are the 88 Jiē shǒuwèi"
"The 88 Street Warders" nodded the old man "Good for you, but I don't know what an earth you are talking about" he said standing to leave
"We haven't finished talking to you" the young men now all standing moving to encircle the old man
The shadows of the room lengthened as the lanterns started to slowly dim "As I said I really wouldn't be silly if I were you, shame on you for troubling an old man who just wants to play cards and smoke cigars, shame on you" the lanterns had now grown so dim that the store room was in virtual darkness.
"Not sure where you got this idea in your heads, but its bad chi isn't it" he smiled
"We were told you are a geomancer"
"And you believe everything you're told" he chided "Think someones played a trick on you boys, been fooling you around, probably to get you out of the way, and you all fell for it" he mocked, the lanterns flames mysteriously grew back to brightness, the young men looked at each other warily
The old man tutted and shook his head, striking a match on the crate that had served as a card table and puffed contently on a rancid cigar, the three men grimaced at the pungent aroma "Wonder who would want to make you look foolish" he smiled evilly "I'd go find out if I were you"
The three men moved aside as the old man limped out of the store room chuckling to himself before stepping into the rainy night.
What none of them had seemed to notice was the young girl present when they had entered had vanished without trace during their exchange

Bujo effortless took a step forwards and across the wall into the mirror
"How would they know so quickly" she asked
"It wouldn't be difficult, they are amateurs they have a clumsy command of chi magic, but there are others who have better sight and understanding, who it seems are paranoid" he looked up at the rumbling thunderclouds above, noting the lightning
He produced the white jade goggles from his coat "But they are guessing, some odd strangers turn up, two and two together makes ten, gossip, gossip, gossip and they're all so jumpy they send their juniors to hassle us!"
He smiled "We must be careful but it means we are getting close" he winked at the young dragon, as a great crash of thunder peeled across the heavens above them

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:44 pm

Upon reaching the ground Master Tails decided on an alternaative course of action, Moon had plenty to worry about and adding further would just be troublesome, after all he had been asked to assist not burden.

Instead with a sniff of the air, twitch of his whiskers and swish of his tail he quickly located his quarry, checking that none of the hunters were laying in wait for him he sprinted off, hurtled up a low wall and back onto the roof tops.
He quickly wove throughout the streets until he arrived in the north west corner, the acrid smell of a certain tobacco hardly made tracking a huge problem, he gave himself a clean whilst he waited until finally Bujo in his old man form stepped outside following some shouting then in a single stride stepped into the spirit realm.

Master Tails did the same, hopping down from his vantage point whilst the Dokkaebi talked with the young dragon, waiting in the shadows until they had finished he then strolled out.
Bujo scowled, tilted his head forwards to emphasise the knitted brow upon his immense toad like face "Thats all I need Lord high and mighty, gracing us with his presence", Master Tails smiled and merely bowed his head

He looked skyward at the streaks of thunderous purple cloud and ribbons of disipating fiery energy, "You will have sensed that something has arrived nearby"
The dragon looked confused, Bujo snorted "What of it"
"It was not a spirit, we should investigate"
The Dokkaebi looked exasperated "I already have a job to do, Lady Tiger said so"
"Yes and this may have bearing on that very job, for a creature as old as you, you really think it a coincidence that these meddlesome mortals are playing with magics and at the same time!"
Bujo frowned looking suspicious "There is merit to what you say, but I don't like it"
"Nor I but our task is to further Lady Tigers mission, if this is a threat then the mission might be imperilled"
"Very well, Lord Cat, Lead on" Bujo replied with mock reverance, his voice heavy with resignation

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:21 pm

The Manantial Canal - Broadway,
The old canal ran east from the bay across the top of Chinatown, in the future part of it would become Broadway Street and the The Robert C Levy Tunnel.
The majority of the waterway had been boarded over in Gaias physical realm as the city reclaimed or consumed increasinging more land from the salt marshs and tributaries of the ancient Lagunas.
In the mirror world or penumbra the waterway continued largely uncapped, its was still a place of death, murderers roamed the decrepid waterway at night, one in particular currently plied a murderous craft, the scars of innocents lives torn from the coil too soon could be seen drifting along the banks.

The Dragon shrouded in clouds swam through the umbral air directed by the Dokkaebi, Master Tail's sat upon the lungs head watching the misery of the realm pass by with sadness, it soon became clear that Bujo's sensing of the Chi Eddies was no longer needed, as they saw a golden fire burning upon the grey waters as the canal widened towards the port.
Amongst the echoes of the earthly wharfs a bonfire roared within the water, the spiritual aquis boiled and bubbled, the three stopped regarding the forms that stalked the area, wretched goblin like creatures who's four limbs extended to impossible length by long bone stilts.
The eyeless creatures had slimy black hides, with mishappen masses of muscle almost like lumps of clay across their forms, they hissed and whistled to each other, snapping if one grew too close to another, the braver stabbed their slits into the water probing the fire.

Bujo spat "Buxing Zhe, I fucking hate these things!" hopping upon his single leg, he smashed his great fist into his other great clawed hand "Lets shed some Yomi vermin blood!"

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shadow Moon

Post by arcanus » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:48 am

In the shadows of the backstreet, Hyun looked around cautiously, it was as he had been ignoring something fearful for a while and now all of a sudden it was approaching him, prowling in the shadows just behind his vision.

He saw the bright light illuminate the window above and started to make his through the shadows, as he wound his way he heard screams, bloodcurdling cries that split the night air, his pace quickened as he wound his way around bends into the next back alley heading for the main street.
As he did he noticed a carraige parked at the entrance of the alley, his chest fell, so close until he noticed a beam of light shine down lighting up the wooden wall of the alley ahead, three figures alighted the carraige, each wearing odd goggles with pure white lenses.

He noticed one carried what appeared to be a black bird cage, within the open hatch swirled a red mist, the figure held the cage up toward the light, its white luminosity starting to peel away from the wall as the angry red mist reached out to it, wrapping itself around it like some hungry octopus.
The white light seemed to flicker and struggle, before being drawn across the dark alley to the cage, Hyun momentarily glanced at the figures, he swallowed hard noticing a small crossbow pointed at him.

As the white light neared the cage, the ground shuddered as if something incredibly heavy had fallen to the ground, another thud strong enough to stagger the four men, then the cage was plucked from the mans hand and promptly smashed into the wall with such force as to crush it.
The white light expanded proving hard to look upon, tall shining white figure stood in the backalley, dressed in short practical robes the form was female, with a vaguely bird like head or a hat resembling a birds long beak, like that of a heron.

The man with the crossbow fired but the bolts seemed to disappear into the light, Hyun barely saw the figure move, but the man jerked backwards his kneck flopping around horribly, the man with the cage smashed into the opposite wall collasping upon the ground, Hyun noticed the third man was also lying in a pool of his own blood.
The figure turned to him, the white light diminishing although everything about her was pure white, she spoke he could see a persons mouth and chin below the beak hat "Where is Chuang Moon?"
Hyun's mouth moved uselessly, no words came
"Snap out of it mortal, I mean you no harm!"
"She, she sent me ahead while she went to find out why some men were watching us"
The white woman nodded severely "You are associated with her"
He nodded fearfully "She is to protect my parents" he stuttered "We were going to them whilst it was dark"
Again she nodded "Where will she meet you?"
"She said she would catch me up"
"Very well we will wait"