Fall of an Empire.

This is the area for all Terrestrial In Character Posts.

Moderators: arcanus, Curren, Drake, Black, Otto

Reynolds
Survivor
Survivor

Fall of an Empire.

Post by Reynolds » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 pm

New Maristow Estate, England. 2050.

The photograph was printed on glossy paper of high quality and mounted in an intricate gold frame. It was perched on an old antique walnut dresser, the sort that comes with a framed mirror and drawers either side of a matching low stool.
It was unusual to see a paper photograph these days. Everyone used digital images or even three dimensional holograms with attached sim-sense files so that people could plug themselves in at watch or even re-live the memory. These frames would often sit there scrolling steadily through thousands of images.
A man in a modern suit, a shiny fabric in charcoal grey with white collar and cuffs reached out and picked it up. He studied the image of a man and a woman on their wedding day. Thay were happy, or at least appeared so. But then, they should do, the man thought. She was marrying a rich Peer of the Realm and he was marrying a woman maybe ten years younger, beautiful in an exotic way, tall dark hair elegant and full of real flowers that matched the brilliant white of her dress.
Movement at the door attracted the man's attention.
An old man, silvery hair at the sides of an otherwise bald head. He was dressed in full butler's regalia.
"Excuse me" the old man said boistrously as he stomped into the bedroom. "That is of no concern of yours." He snatched the picture from the other man's grasp. "And you have no business being in here. Lord and Lady Reynolds will be home shortly and as I mentioned earlier, you are to wait in his study. You do not have free reign to wander this house poking at things that are nothing to do with you, Mister Shore!"
the younger man smiled, amused by the butler's outburst. He ran his fingers through his mop of blond hair nonchalantly.
"On the contrary my dear Mr," he paused a moment, "I'm sorry, I don't recall your name?"
"Brocklesby," the old man replied with a annoyed tone. He knew full well that this man knew who he was and was just playing games.
"Of course, yes! The erstwhile MR Brocklesby. I thought you'd be bigger! But I suppose the tales I heard of Lord Reynolds' father are from some time ago now, aren't they? Yes, formidable once, but nothing breeds entropy like time, wouldn't you say?"
"Nothing bleeds like a punched nose, you sanctimonious prick!" Brocklesby mumbled under his breath.
"What was that?"
Brocklesby sighed quietly.
"Lord and Lady Reynolds will not be happy to find you in their bedroom, sir. Please return to his Lordship's study and await their return."
Shore sighed too, taking the picture from the butler and replacing it on the dresser. He glanced at the one beside it. Lord and Lady Reynolds with their three children. The little one had pigtails and a tooth missing. She was perhaps four or five? The next one up was about thirteen, pretty, long dark hair and dark skin like her mother. The eldest, their son, named Sebastian like the eldest son had been named for generations, stood proud alongside his father in his army uniform. He stood out from his family in a stark way. The large tusk-like teeth protruding from his lower jaw were the main give-away. An orc.
"Such a shame for the family. To have such bad genes turn up, and then this accusation cast against them. I suppose it makes sense really, if your master shouldn't really be here."
Brocklesby, still a well built man, stepped up close to Shore.
"Get out now, while you still can or so help me god I shall put a bullet in your eye and claim you were a burglar!"
Shore smiled, but shrugged his shoulders."As you wish, Mr Brocklesby."
He proceeded out of the room and back down stairs to the Lord's study.
There he made a call.
"Sir, everything normal here. The supposed Lord and Lady will be here shortly. I guess they didn't want to be present at the ritual.Yes, sir, I have them standing by just outside the estate pending the verdict. Yes, sir. Of course I will. Until i have no need to Polite any longer."

Reynolds
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Fall of an Empire.

Post by Reynolds » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Upstairs, in the Master Bedroom, one of the huge wardrobe doors opened.
A girl of fifteen pushed her way out of the clothes that hung in neat size and colour order.
she was tall for her age, a little thin, but toned. Gym class saw to that.
Her hair was jet black and her skin a dark olive, belieing her mother's native american heritage.
She wore a black Metallorca t-shirt and black denim jeans with white pumps.
Putting her phone back to her ear she said, "He's gone. What a creep! What was he doing rummaging around in my parents' room? I mean, what a perv!"
"So why is even in your house, Tavia?" the voice on the phone said.
"Urgh! It has to be something to do with this court case against my Dad."
"Oh, that's just bullshit!No one can just turn up and say hey, that's my house and my land and look I got a moldy old bit of paper that says so!"
"I don't know, Lucy. Mum seems pretty worried. She says it's not true but thinks the whole thing could hurt father's businesses."
The girl heard the floor board creak outside the bedroom. She quickly dived down and rolled inder the old four-poster bed.
"Gotta go!" she whispered into the phone before hanging up and flicking it to silent.
From her vantage point beneath the bed she saw a pair of highly polished shoes and trousers pressed to a razor edge.
"He has gone," Brocklesby's calm voice announced. "And if you have left your mother's clothes creased, Miss Octavia Elizabeth Reynolds, you will have Mrs Green to answer to!"
"How?" Octavia, Tavia to her friends, exclaimed while crawling out of her hiding place.
Brocklesby smirked. "I've told you Miss Octavia, I know everything that happens in this house!"
He turned his head slightly, as though trying to hear something distant.
"Your parents are at the front gate," he said before turning and heading downstairs.
"He bloody well does know too!" Tavia muttered and followed after the man that was her grand father's best friend.

Reynolds
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Fall of an Empire.

Post by Reynolds » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:57 pm

It was well into ther small hours of the morning when Lord Reynolds' and Mr Shore's phones rang almost simultaneously.
Reynolds, in just his shirt and comfortabel slacks looked tired. His eyes were rimmed with dark colouring and he had bags under them.
Mr Shore on the other hand looked fresh and ready for anything.
Both men rose from their chairs, where that had been sitting in absolute silence, as they answered their phones and walked to the opposite ends of the room.
Mr Shore's call was over almost before he had reached the wall whereas Reynolds' call looked as though it would take a while.
His face dropped and shoulders sagged at what he was hearing.
"Are you sure?" he asked, struggling to keep his voice calm. "This can't be right. How can this be right, for Christ's sake? Yes, I know the High Court oversaw the ritual, but they have to have made a mistake, how else would they have gotten this result? Yes, I'm sorry, I'm not accusing you of anything. Listen, could you get someone to dig into the backgrounds of everyone involved, if we can discredit this it will look better for the company."
He began pacing, listening to his barrister explaining the procedure and the checks that had already been carried out and what the result meant.
Shore had hung up, a triumphant look upon his face. He placed another call and then slipped his phone in his pocket.
Seeing that Lord Reynolds was still occupied he approached the Lady of the house.
"Mrs Reynolds."
The older woman cast her dark eyes towards him. She sat straight-backed, her hair tied loosely behind her head.
She too had changed upon her return home and wore a casual pull-over and comfortable trousers. Shore noted the toned body encased beneath the clothing.
Beside her was an exact replica, except about twenty years younger. The girl's skin was perhaps a shade lighter than her mother's.
The dress code for the younger Reynolds girl was very different however. A teenager going through her rebellious phase, Shore surmised. He doubted she was that rebellious. These rich powerful types, toffs they used to be called a couple of centuries ago, were all the same in his experience; Stuck up arseholes.
"You have one hour to gather your things. Then you must be gone."
"I beg your pardon?"
"Get your thing and get out of my employers house. Or we'l move you."
Beth Reynolds took a sharp intake of breath, her jaw clanched.
"I will do no such thing," she hissed. Her daughter squeezed her hand.
"Suit yourself. Oh, and I'll ned your bank access codes and your credsticks. Please advise your company directors to conveine in the morning ready to sign ownership over to the true Baron."
With a smugly patronising smile he turned for the door.
Sebastian Reynolds finally ended his call. He saw the tears in his wifes eyes.
"Don't worry," he said looking from his wife to his daughter. "We'll sort this out, it's got to be wrong."