IC - Mad World

This is the area for all Terrestrial In Character Posts.

Moderators: arcanus, Curren, Drake, Black, Otto

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

IC - Mad World

Post by arcanus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:49 pm

This is where the exploits of those active within the wider Sixth World are detailed.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

So It Begins

Post by arcanus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:20 pm

October 31st 2056
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presiding upon the 34th Floor, the office was wrong, in a deliberately designed but still asymetrically incorrectly, wrong.
Its mezzanine level contained a stylish corporate office, furnished with Maple desks, 15 foot blue plated windows gave a thought provoking view of Puget Sound..

The sunken central level was some 20 feet square, sitting within this space was a large greenish glass sphere, housed in a vaguely early industrial brass series of tubes.

The younger of the two men, adjusted his back unnessesarily due to his office chair being constructed of bio-forming foam.

"It is not unexpected, his return I mean!"

The older man, didn't turn, instead fixing his gaze upon a Monobe Lav circling distantly towards the rooftop landing zone of the corporations local branch.

"Indeed, in reality his return was expected, it was the elves who was not"

"The elf has not returned, some genetech nightmare of Neuronet"

"If you believe that then, your education has been extremely flawed" replied the older man, flicking the end off a 'Quintero', it flared in the indigo light.

"Forces are at play here, forces that we must understand before we commit ourselves further" stated the older man.

"So we agree that his return could indicate, his inclusion as one of the Great Ones"

The older man snorted cigar smoke " If these 'Scothara' are to be believed! What is their location?"

"They have adopted their old ways and gone to ground, however our best guess psychologically is that he will attempt to re-establish his previous venture which would indicate Hollywood, Metropole or Delhi"

"Considering their non-existant funds, the latter two are unlikely, LA it is"
Last edited by arcanus on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

October 31st - 2056

Post by arcanus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:31 pm

'What you seek lies within the Northern Isles' played around the thoughts of Malthalamas Curren, turning he regarded the idle, vacant form of Francis Drake 'Off saving the world again'!

Curren
Magi
Magi

October 31st 2056 Seattle Continental Hotel 17:57

Post by Curren » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:53 pm

Curren sat on the comfy seat reading a paper in a room he had rented a few hours ago. He looked with irritation at the lifeless form of Drake who was propped up in a sofa on the other side of the room. Drake had insisted that it would be safer if he projected from here, and Curren for the life of him didn't know where or why he had gone.

He lit up a cigar and returned to the Seattle Herald Classified adverts,
'Bookshelf, good condition, customer collect 45 nuyen' he muttered.
He nodded in appreciation, 'All I'll need then is a house and some books!' as he blew cigar smoke through his nose like a dragon.

'Northern Isles' He said aloud.

He stood suddenly and tossed the paper into the bin, bookshelves whould have to wait until another day. 'Now where did I put that bloody map?'
Curren started to pat himself down furiously and check the multitude of pockets that were on his shabby suit.

'Aha!' He exulted as he produced an even shabbier piece of paper from his inside pocket. He unfolded what turned out to be a ludicrously large world map from what had been a folded piece of paper no bigger than a passport.

'A GPS would be better the guys would have said, but I don't know what that stands for let alone how to use it. General Postal Service? Bollocks to that!' he thought with a sneer etched on his face. He sat back on the seat and chewed on his lit cigar.

'Lets have a gander then......

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

October 31st 2056 Seattle Continental Hotel 22:15

Post by arcanus » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:56 am

Hmmm, it could be Iceland, Greenland or even the Artic Belt.

'Used to be New York that never slept' Curren thinks to himself, not with the Corps around' being on the border of Bellvue and Downtown, the soundproofed glass resists the drone of constant road traffic, numerous drones and air transports heading to corporate destinations or Sea-tac.

Snorting, Curren wipes a trickle of blood from his left nostril, thats happened a little two regularly since evac from the CZ.

The Ether of the room shifts, the ticking of a half dozen watches is amplified as turning Curren gazed upon the white polymere door of the ensuite.
Glowing upon its surface is the word "D'z Raaak'

Curren
Magi
Magi

D'z Raaak

Post by Curren » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:40 pm

'D'z Raaak?' Curren mused 'Sounds like when I clear my throat!' He hawks back and opens the door to the bathroom and spits bloody phlegm down the toilet.

'Gotta get this checked out, the nosebleeds are getting worse.' he flushes the toilet and washes his hands.

(Magic Theory of 7, 2 fives, 2 fours, and a 3.)

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Returning

Post by arcanus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:08 pm

'Idiot' Curren thinks to himself, I'm bleeding in my physical form.
His hands ghostly, must get back not much time left.

Curren
Magi
Magi

Fackin' ell!

Post by Curren » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 pm

'I really am losing the plot here!' as he puts his head in his hands in confusion. He looks at his harrowed features in the bathroom mirror.
'When did I astrally project? Why?'

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of absent Friends

Post by arcanus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:56 pm

"He did what?" exclaimed Tink, the nubile Dryad had changed significantly.
The only contact the artists formerly known as The Church had left or could truly trust.

"It appears he used his illusion magics and his knowledge of Astral form to make his projecting self real, enough to fool us in the heat of the evacuation" replied Silk.

"He was talking of doing this while we were Questing, we tried to explain that he would be alone, isolated" Silk grew quiet

"So he's still in the CZ" murmered Tink, not so much saddened by Curren's predicament but by the thought of a life imprisoned and bound.

"Yes" replied Silk "He is!"
Last edited by arcanus on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curren
Magi
Magi

Why?

Post by Curren » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:15 pm

'Must be the flashbacks and memory loss I always suffer from when I'm under stress' he admitted. 'Or maybe its the time I have been in astral space which has made me think this is the physical world.' he walks out of the bathroom.

Pacing the room he reviews his situation. 'Ok, so I'm still in Chicago. And the shit has hit the fan there for me, but I must get back otherwise my physical form will die and I will cease to be. But I'm here for a purpose and I don't remember why?'

(Research roll of 13, 2 fives, 4, and a 3. What is D'z Raaak?)

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return

Post by arcanus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:31 pm

"That is correct, for some unknown reason you chose to stay behind" said the salamander, causing Curren to spin at astral speed.

"You haven't much time, your thread grows dim, I will guide you back"

Like lightning strikes the two forms launch into the sky, Curren able to almost keep up with the mighty spirit.
Crossing the continental Americas in 30 minutes, the bleak grey monolithic keep of the CZ loomed, elementals and Nature Spirit guardians imediately turned their attentions.

However none acted, allowing the flaming astral form to race across the fog of the CZs astral space.

Malthalamas Curren stared bleakly out of physical eyes, pondering the choices he had made, looking around he saw that he was alone.

Alone in the Chicago Containment Zone, alone in Bug City.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Plot Thickens

Post by arcanus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:37 pm

The chamber was made from seemless Greek Penteli Marble, its whitish sheen holding a striking yellow hue.
The ceiling was vaulted in the same manner as a medievil church the difference being the arcane litany inscribed into the arched cross beams of yew.

In center place stood a large mahogany table, illuminated by the clear sunlight streaming through the oval window at the far end of the chamber.

"So let me get his completely clear" the senior elf hissed, "The individual of primary import was not extracted from Chicago!!!"

"That's correct my lord" replied the younger elf, his short whitish blond hair blanched by the sunlight.

"HOW?" the senior elves voice rising in both crescendo and power.
"He masked himself in some form of layed illusion, combined with his Astral form" replied the junior.

"And I naively believed that we had a comprehensive knowledge of the arcane, I thought our Intelligence indicated his Metatalents were limited and did not include the ability to Mask"

"That is correct my Lord, we believe he may have had assistance there are trace mana streams of a Greater Spirit"

"Get out" hissed the elder "Erthor" the younger elf stopped
"Find him!"

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rest In Peace

Post by arcanus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:54 pm

The run had been difficult but had run smoothly.
Sinner scanned the area, several enhancements to his cybereyes gave him range, visual enhancement and light amplification.
His smartlink targeted acquired the nearest position of cover, as his team moved slowly forwards towards the series of tents making up the encampment

At just over 7 feet tall Kyber was short for a troll, and quiet. He appeared
from the darkness to their rear, and nodded an affirmation that they were not pursued.

The GMC Overlander rolled forwards slowly approaching 'La Carnival'

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rest In Peace

Post by arcanus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Sinner regarded the two dwarves, in life he imagined them quite ridiculous, farsical, however here at this moment they were due respect.

Kyber gently removed the package, they had heisted from the UCAS Army, as if carrying a baby he proceeded to move the body to the pyre in front of the carnie workers.

The runner team moved to the back, as the family encircled the pyre. The dwarven twins unwrapped the body with solemnity.

The pyre roared and a cheer went up from the crowd, one of rejoice he had been returned, the canterous, old, drunken man had returned one last time for the send off he was due.

'Hubba' wiped a tear from his left eye, grumbling about 'something in his eye'.

Bubba watched quietly,
"Goodbye cowboy, happy trails"
Last edited by arcanus on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nazir
New Blood
New Blood

Assurances

Post by Nazir » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Both dwarves start at the sound of feet on gravel behind them.
Turning they see a man, bearded with arabic tattoos upon his cheeks and dressed more like he was in arabia.
"Fear not, young dwarves, he has gone to a place like no other. Do not dwell on this, but rest easy knowing that he is with the gods and getting all he is deserving of."
With that the man fades away before their eyes to be momentarily replaced by what looks like a huge jackel warrior, then it is gone.

The twins look at each other, and Bubba shrugs, "What the hell was that all about?"
"I dunno, maybe it was a wrong number!" Hubba guessed.
With a simultaneous shrug, the two returned to their contemplation.

Alfred

System Status = UNKNOWN

Post by Alfred » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Operating System ReRoute 25/744/01-001 -:
Alternative Power Supply - OK < 12%
>>Non-Critical Systems Disabled
Primary BIOS Read >>>>>>> OK
Language - English(US)
Additional User Dictionary - OK
Parental Language Filter - NOT FOUND
Date Calibration - Time Server NOT FOUND
Dafault Date - 00:00.00 24/04/2016
Date Set
Primary BIOS Load >>>>>>> OK
:.
Cerebral Structure ReStart - Reason 99
>>Reason UNKNOWN
Full System Diagnostic Start - 00:00.79 24/04/2016
---/
Component Checklist - Found
:.LOAD Checklist >>>>>>> OK
:.LOAD Tactical BIOS v1.01.01 -! ERROR> Tactical Computer v1.01.01 NOT FOUND
>> Tactical Status - UNKNOWN
>> Threat Level - UNKNOWN
:.LOAD Sensory BIOS Driver -! ERROR> Sensory Device NOT FOUND
>> Visual Feed - NOT FOUND
>> Aural Device - NOT FOUND
>> Tactile Feedback Array - NOT FOUND
>> Olfactory Receptors - NOT FOUND
>> Oral Tactile Receptors - NOT FOUND
>> Sensory System Load Failure - 0/5
:.LOAD Memory Module -! ERROR> Memory Module NOT FOUND
>> Default Memory Check - 38%
>>WARNING! Internal Memory Damaged or Incomplete
:.LOAD Muscular Control Array -! ERROR> Required Input Not Recognised <NULL>
>> NULL value returned
>> Muscular Control OFFLINE
:.SMARTlink Control -! ERROR> Tactile Link NOT FOUND
>>SMARTlink OFFLINE
:.LOAD Neural Interlace - OK
>>Integrity - 60%
>>Status - Normal
:.LOAD Vocal Control Array -! ERROR> Vocal Device NOT FOUND
>>Vocal Broadcast Function OFFLINE
:.Multi-Organ Monitor -! ERROR> Input NOT FOUND
>>Init Alcohol Inhibitor NOT FOUND
>>BioOrgan Control Array OFFLINE
---/
Full System Diagnostic End - 02:11.55 24/04/2016
==

(c) 2014 Alfred Tallus Research

==
:.>_cmd stat -p
Systems Running @ 9%
Status - UNKNOWN
Status - UNKNOWN
Status - UNKNOWN
Status - UNKNOWN
:.>_cmd viewlog &TClog -time des

Multiple targets detected
Establish target lock
Targets identified - 8
Target Lock Acquired - 8
Target 1 - Fire Right
Result- Hit (90% accuracy - compensate)
Target 2 - Fire Left
Result- Hit (92% accuracy - compensate)
ReAcquire Targets
Targets identified - 6
Target Lock Acquired - 6
Target 1 - Fire Right
Result- Hit (75% accuracy - compensate)
WARNING! Battle-Tac communication signal detected
Battle-Tac Signal Interference Protocol Running - FAILED
Threat Status = High
ReAcquire Targets
Targets identified - 9
Tactical Assessment: Multiple airborne targets
Airborne targets identified - Grenades:Yield = High
ReAcquire Targets
Targetting Failure! Multiple Targets
Select Targets where ThreatLevel = Highest
Targetting Failure! Multiple Targets
Threat Status = High
Threat Status = High
Targets identified - 9
Target 1 - Fire Right
Result- Hit (100% accuracy) Target terminated
Select Targets where ThreatLevel = Highest
Targets identified - 8
:
Risk Assessment:
Option 1: Destroy airborne targets
Analysis: Reload = True; insufficient time

Option 2: Exit Killzone; minimize damage
Analysis: Insufficient hardware
Log Addition User(Alfr3d):"Legs ain't what they used to be!"
:
End Risk Assessment
Tactical Assessment:_
:
Error: Tactical Assessment not available
WARNING!! Threat Level = Very High
Chance of physical damage = 99%
Log Addition User(Alfr3d):"...bastards."
Searching for available networks:
Found 2 users:(HAL),(CARNUN)
(CARNUN) Link established
Request data transfer
Data transfer accepted
Begin data transfer
>>WARNING! Transfer interrupted
Damage Report:
Hit Location: leg right
Hit Location: leg left
Hit Location: arm right
Hit Location: arm left
ReAcquire Targets
Targetting Failure! Visual Feed OFFLINE
WARNING! Firing mechanism OFFLINE
Hit Location: torso
WARNING! Heart Rate fluctuations detected. Seek Medical Assistance
WARNING! Blood Loss detected. Seek Medical Assista<
:.>End of File

:.LOAD Backup Communication Protocol - OK
>>Attempting Communication Bridge - OK
>>Response OK
>>Parse init Handshake
>>Response OK.. (1) User Found
>>Encryption level - UNKNOWN
>>Language - UNKNOWN
>>Text Input - Enabled
:
:.>Incoming Message. Accept? [Y/N]
:.>Y
:
:
:User(ANON):Welcome back Alfie, yous stubborn old bastad!
:.>cmd voicerecog >internal
:.Message Recognition Running.
>>(1) Result Found:-
>>Demon

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Night Shadows

Post by arcanus » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:32 am

The district of 'Boyle Heights' stood close to El Inferno, the walled Gang enclave within LA.
Back in the 90's the LA Council had attempted to redevelop the Heights or Flats as they were known, however the awakening had brought change and not nessessarily for the
better, with several quakes hitting the metoplex and flooding significant areas of lowland Flats, which were saddly all too close to the Los Angeles River.
What resulted was a gang infested area of deserted, delapitated buildings and walled Corporate facilities, not unlike the Redmond Barrens in Seatle.

The ferrocrete surfaces had that light consuming blackness to them, brought on by the absence of available street lighting.
Standing in an isolated square, were some 12 figures stood in the shadows, adjacent to a Toyota and a GMC van.
The area was loosely secured by a mix of asian and caucasian figures, each culture on an opposing side of the square, the division not just territorial but blood deep.

Within this security circle stood a mixed group, the first for an unlucky outsider to notice would be a truly gargantuan troll, in Homo Sapien Ingentis terms he was not tall, however his bulk was truly excessive for even a troll, easily wider than three of the enhanced humans near him.
Bishop wore his trademanrk mono-brow shades and muttered at an audible level that only his companions could pick up about the injustice of such a low fee, however to his employers a mask of professionlism.

The next was a seven foot tall elf, his hair black, shades and his entire wardrobe being black or near variations, his face completely unreadible.
Silk was next shorter than the other two, an amero-asian mix, which brought undisguised looks of disapproval from the asian contingent.

Last but not least was possibly the most bizare of the runners, a figure standing some 18 inches tall and wearing what could only be described as a pirates outfit, however their was a gleam in the gnomes eye that was at the very least unnerving, to all except Silk who smirked knowing the source of such excitement in the Gnome.

Contained within the runners circle were six figures, two were technical aids who were currently hooking their masters into their armour and combat harnesses.

The job it turned out was to protect two important figures, clearly in competition with each other, while they stalked through the waterlogged remains of The Flats old central plaza.
Cardinals threat assessment had indicated the primary threats to their charges were resident gangs, native critters and their prey.

Slightly further into the Flats stood a further contingent of armed men, some restrained uncomfortably large dogs clearly enhanced, while the remainder restrained two bound individuals, it was these individuals who Cardinal had surmised were the prey.

With cold indifference the asian hunter, pointed to Cardinal and Silk indicating that they were to accompany him, the anglo stubbed out his cigar and allowed Bishop and Drake (Who was upon his shoulder) to accompany him.
The two prisoners were then released and began running, as if the devil himself were pursuing them, the anglo counted down on his watch, 3 minutes that seemed to be the weight of hours ticking by, before accompanied by his runner guards the two groups jogged into the dark maze of 'Boyle Heights'.

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Yell.com - Persons For Hire

Post by Sinner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:58 am

***Unit For Hire***

Need 'Specialist' assistance in the Los Angeles area?

A 5-man team is ready and available for overt and covert tasks.

Fee negotiable.

Contact Mogul or this Matrix Dead-drop LTG: )&^&%^£$%"$%£^*(&*(&*(&^&$%^*$&&*^&*^*^ (if you can't decrypt this then don't bother to call)
--Be good. Leave the sinning to me.--

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Damn Samurai

Post by Sinner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:32 am

Sinner sprinted for the wall, his borrowed assault rifle poised to fire should the samurai show himself. Upon reaching the grime covered ferocrete enclosure he pressed himself tightly against it and listened for movement.
Hearing nothing he advanced around the corner slowly making his way to fresh hole created by Drake’s hurled car.
There was still plenty of dust in the air restricting visibility. The car had done a surprising amount of damage, obliterating this section of wall and finally bringing this side of the already weakened building down.
Sinner peered around the edge of the ruined wall searching for signs of the samurai that had brought his drone down. He had a pretty good idea where the drone had been but his quarry had had time to move since then. But he couldn’t have gone far, not with a bound prisoner to escort.
Sinner’s cyber-eyes flicked through all of their enhanced vision modes as the elf scanned for his target.
Perception + Intuition roll: 11 5 5 5 4 3 3 2 2 (5 hits)

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Body+Armour (5 Dice) roll.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Revelations I

Post by arcanus » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Francis Drake gasped, Mr Grant turned and looked at his 18" protector from their vantage point upon the roof.

His form seemed to solidify, as if previously it had lacked some form of substance, an understanding settled into his head.

Looking Astrally Francis Drake had a sudden realisation, he could see the Astral Plane, fully not just metals but full colour, high definition astral space.

"Hey pint size, you okay" said Grant, more than a little irritably

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Mind that sword, you could have someone's eye out!!

Post by Sinner » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 am

arcanus wrote:
Body+Armour (5 Dice) roll.
12 7 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 2

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Whether through inbuild genetic memory or cybernetic reflexes, Sinner reacts a fraction of a second before the katana slices into the adjacent wall.

Both adversaries spin away, bringing their firearms to bear, a roar signifies the exchange of gunfire between the two.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Greater Schemes

Post by arcanus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 am

The night had been particularly eventful, the group had successfully defeated the Five Fires Seoulpa Rings hitmen and defended their rogue yakuza and mafiosa charges.

Having made their way out of 'The Boyle Heights', they went to ground in the 'Crescent Hills' Trailer Park.

Upon entering the Villa Supremo trailer, Bishop had taken an almost personal dislike, the fact that he was almost wider than the trailer not withstanding. His main source is discontent was that he was used to grander things such as hotels.

Further negotiations ensued with the mafiosa Mr Grant and the yakuza Mr Yen, Grant decided to cut his losses leaving a certified credstick to allow him safe passage to leave. While Yen's plans included employing the group to escort him to his allies in San Fransisco and hopeful safety.

However Bishop, Silk and Doc then began to formulate their own plan, it was time for a new order, they were not mere amateurs just starting out.
They had both experience and power, the Mob had involved them in their power plays, newbie runners would go with the flow take their lumps, thank the saints for their survival.

No not the former members of the Church, they would take the fight to the LA Mob, bring them down from the inside, a new power would arise in the City of Angels.

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Internalising

Post by Sinner » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Sinner stood in the kitchenette and made the coffee, listening to the discussions between his fellow... what were they all now? Shadowrunners? He guessed that was what they were.
The conversation with Mr Grant who, despite his almost captive and definite fugitive status, seemed to have taken control of the situation, was actually going well.
20,000 for his freedom was a fair price. What were the other options? Sinner pondered the question for a moment.
They could contact the Mafioso boss and negotiate a fee for the his return or execution, however they wanted to play it, but then the group would be ‘in bed’ with the mob and that was a situation Sinner certainly didn’t want.
The added attraction of better contacts and better money also had a certain appeal.
The Jap wanted an escort to San Francisco. The had all the appeal Sinner could want. There was someone in the San Franc area he quite wanted to see, but was wary of approaching. Wary? No, not wary, nervous. How long had it been? A few months, a year, or a bit more? Would she think he was some sort of stalker?

Sinner frowned as his attention returned to the trailer.
Mr Grant was making moves to leave, and although no one was overly happy, no one stopped him.
Time to move!

Sinner considered the options... stay here but the location was compromised.
Renting an apartment would suit them as far as coming and going as they please.
Another trailer park was good, even though it would only meet with more bitching from Bishop. The best place for anonymity in the elf’s opinion.

The team were discussing the pros and cons of taking on the LA mob, not a full frontal assault but a little skulduggery here and there, infiltrating their ranks and replacing the head with a ‘tame’ one. It was an interesting notion, but Sinner was worried that they may be running before they could walk. So long as they all took their time, planned it right, executed it well, then they had a good chance.

As he listened to the developing plans, he became aware that Bishop was still insisting that they went to a hotel. His argument seemed to be based not on safety or security, of which Sinner thought both would be greatly compromised in a hotel, but on his being used to better.
Sinner shook his head but remained silent. This coming from a man who had spent the last eighteen months in a glass tank with a tube up his arse!!

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Musings

Post by Sinner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:50 pm

The sun began to announce itself by turning the horizon a pale grey. Sinner stretched and pulled himself off the couch where he had been sleeping. He checked the time and realised that he’d only been out for an hour and a half.

Rubbing the grogginess away he crept over to the fridge and, disgusted by the poor quality food, grabbed a doughnut and wandered outside.
Birds were singing, the distinct wail of cats copulating rang out from somewhere in the park and even outside the deep reverberation of someone snoring managed to drown out the growing noise of traffic on the freeway in the valley bottom.

Sinner thought for a while about the plan to infiltrate the mob. It was a brash plan and no one could accuse them of aiming low, however, it also had merit. Their anonymity was their main advantage. If no one knows you are there then they won’t be looking in your direction for an attack.

Okay, if this was going to happen they were going to need a lot of gear. They’d need a base of ops, some safe houses, a front, vehicles, weapons, explosives, contacts, preferably out of town, not many locals, and for that they would need money. To get money, they’d need work, and that would earn them a reputation and they didn’t really want one of those – it could blow their cover.

Ah the twisted webs....

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Route 101 sped past, at 90kph.
Sinner's analystical programs were gathering data at a collosal rate, collision chips in impending vehicles allowed him to manoeuver the jeep.
What concerned him more were the multiple vehicles that had now accelerated to match their speed, the choppers were remaining at respectable but suspicious distance.

A Honda Vector bike had cruised up to a safe distance parallel with them and a number of drones had adopted a satellite formation.

Datastreams were whirling around, encrypted datastreams .
'What the hell were they in the middle of?'

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Post by Sinner » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 am

Hmmm! Sinner sighs heavily, realising that Bishop's 'curse' had come true.
But then it was daft of them all to think it wasn't true. The Yak's were bound to have a ritual link to one of their superiors. And if not a link, then the components with which to form one.

"Collision chips," the elf mused aloud.
Seizing control of a drone was one thing, but taking control of a rigged vehicle whilst the rigger was plugged in was something else.

Sinner glanced across at the rider, looking for the tell tale cable that connected him to the bike's rigger control unit.
Perception+Intuition: 10 10 9 7 7 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 (10 hits)

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tonight

Post by arcanus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:18 pm

"Welcome to tonights episode of Cannonball Running
"This evening we have the start of a high speed chase extrordinaire that our sponsers promise will be particularly hair raising and action packed.

Our Cannonballers are driving a Lincoln Citycar stretch limo circa 2048 plate, accompanied by a 45 plate Geronimo overland Jeep.

Our on the mac cam is Audrey, the challengers describe themselves as ambitious, ruthless and high performance roadwarriors.
Bets can be registered via LAN LA/255A, paid in CFS Dollars or water rations"

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Ghost in the machine!!!

Post by Sinner » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Again Sinner’s mind went to the collision chips. How did they work? There was no city grid link for them to work off out here. There was also satellite connectivity, but even that could be intermittent, and would anyone really want the time delays when trying to avoid a crash. That left a signal sent locally, from device to device, that could take control of the vehicles control and engine management systems. And thereby avoid and react to potential hazards.

In his short life, Sinner had never met anyone else with the ability to wirelessly connect to the matrix or vehicle control rigs. There was always some other device required, like a cyber-deck that the user had to plug into. So how secure would the collision device be? It would be out there actively looking for things to talk to, a metaphorical open door.
And who in the hell could hack into a vehicle’s onboard systems while that vehicle was moving?

Sinner could feel Necron straining at the leash. It wanted release.
“Patience,” Sinner cautioned, remembering and old saying he had once heard, ‘Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance’. There was another saying too that was a little easier on the tongue – ‘think before you act’.

Necron snarled but backed down, letting Sinner resume his thoughts.
“Okay, so I get into the coll-chip’s sub-processor, what then? Into the control/management CPU and look for a connection to any of the other vehicles on this little sojourn. If this group were worth their salt they would have a battletac system monitoring their tactics and guiding the vehicles and drones in. If not then there would almost certainly be a comms link that could be exploited.”
“So I’d already be in the system, through a backdoor. I could ride the battletac’s own signal back to the control unit, and from there issue a shut down command to every vehicle’s control systems, with the exception of our biker friend. Then immediately follow that with a command to activate an immediate security lock out of each vehicles own controls, rendering them useless until the pilots and drivers could figure out what had gone wrong. No! Re-issue new security codes, requiring the drivers to either hack their way through them or replace the unit. Either way would be time consuming.”

The beauty of this was that no one would now where the attack had come from and also there would be very little built into the vehicles to prevent it. Not only that but he would be able to do it in a window and not go full VR.

“Over to you,” Sinner thought.
Necron gave a satisfied grunt and strode towards his virtual exit.
You know the plan, what rolls do you require?

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Computer+Vehicle control.

+

Computer+Willpower.

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Post by Sinner » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:36 pm

arcanus wrote:
Computer+Vehicle control.

+

Computer+Willpower.
Comp+Vehicle: 15 10 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 2 (6 hits)
Comp+Will: 17 16 11 8 7 5 5 4 3 2 (12 hits - I love jimmy's dice roller!!!)

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Sinner's vision opens to a three dimensional view of the road, the juggernauts appear as huge grey slabs due to their cargoes inpenetrable to the current equipment that he has available.

The bike is similarly protected, however the 5 or so adjacent civilian vans and cars all fall prey to his slipping through their collision chip IO and into the main system, as Necron achieves this with one vehicle, he smartframes and then again, the frames duplicating his work until he was achieved a somewhat crude but satisfactory presence within their vehicles.

The speed of transit feels knife edged now, ripping across Sinner's metal skin, the bike keeps apace, not wanting to miss any of the action, distantly from a collection of crude sensors he can pick up the choppers which have now moved to cover the left and right desert stretches.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Eagle Security Personal Protection Liason Andre Hamilton narrowed his eyes at the screen.

The pirate trid broadcast paused, a rogue broadcast on behalf of the Californian Purity League, the spokesperson wearing a white pointed hood reminscent of an equally darker time.

The threat was clear, that some notable metahuman was in their sights, that this animal (As they put it) had strayed from his pen and would be hunted down.

The question was who was their target, there were dozens of prominent metahumans, then it struck Hamilton like a lightning bolt.
"Where's Bobby Ray Cyrus" he demanded of one of the comms officers in the control room.
"He's in his tourbus on the I-101" replied the officer
"Shit, alert his Personal Protection Officers" rattled off Hamilton

"No contact sir, comms are being jammed" replied the officer, looking at Hamilton, worry stretched across her face.
Last edited by arcanus on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drake
Solo
Solo

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:45 am

As Frank hurtles along in the chrome limo, he'll send out his astral senses looking for the large bright astral flare that will be each car's engine.

This heavily man made lump of processed metal would just appear as a grey lump to any other mage, but to the specific talents of one Mr Frank Drake they each appear as a flaming fiery rainbow. Each alloy used in the engine gives off a unique aura made up from the base metals used in it's construction. Each engine is, to Frank, a work of art.

He astrally scans the surrounding vehicles, remembering their engine locations, just in case he needs to take action. The bike should be the easiest to despatch. All he would need to do is magically grab the front wheel, and lift it straight up 6 feet. The rear wheel, providing all the power, would propel under the raised front wheel and the rider would be thrown to the ground.

Frank sits on the backseat, looking like an action figure next to the bulk of the Bish, an excited little grin on his face. Waiting for the mayhem to start...

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Loaded, ready to fire!

Post by Sinner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:44 am

Necron looked around in disgust. It had been a good plan and the measly outcome was disappointing. Still, it showed a measure of the opposition.

The ancient automaton sorted the vehicles in order, lead car to tail end. He noted that Sinner was coming up behind a ageing bulldog and a truck to its right was in the bikes path.
Necron decided he would have to use the weapons available to him. He studied the input signal for the coll-chip. He created copy of the signal, altering the supposed positions of the vehicles with respect to the bulldog.
“Caution,” Sinner urged, “ we don’t know if this guy is unfriendly or not yet.”
“Don’t lecture me on caution,” Necron shot back momentarily highlighting the data-stream being fed to Sinner from the smartlinked machine pistol the elf had just released from it’s holster.

“That’s just a precaution,” Sinner defended.
Necron accessed the vehicle registration details. “Hank Henry James Augsutus Collumby,” the persona read aloud. “Sounds like a redneck meta-human hater to me.”
That was all the justification Necron felt he needed.

Moments later he engaged the program, swapping the genuine coll-chip feed for that of his edited version.
Sinner accelerated the jeep so that it passed between the bulldog and the heavy truck.
If the bike followed through that same gap then he would swap the trucks supposed position so that the bulldog thought it was right in front of it. The coll-chip would seize control of the bulldog sending it out into the empty lane to it’s right. Except, it wouldn’t be empty, would it!

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Rick Valdanna was known for his tantrums and today admittedly with good reason one was brewing.
From his Hollywood office, he paced, barely noticing the gold records hanging upon his walls.
"Fucking Eagle Security" he raged "The outfit that lost Chicago"
"Your being chirlish, Eagle Security are a major security provider in North America, professionals in their field and they submitted the most competitive tender" observed his PA, Hanna Tia Sanchas.

Rick gave her a cold look, that actually looked like a young boy pouting.
"I'm sure they have everything in hand" said Hanna regarding her nails.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Eagle Security Officer Hank Macmahon, plugged a psyche chip into his chip reader, immediately his apprehension and physical discomfort at travelling at 350kph.
His rigger driver showed little regard for the speed or any other traffic, none of which caused her to slow in any form.

They were 120km from the tour bus, at this speed they'd be there in 20 minutes. He hoped they weren't too late.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:14 pm

The Eagle Sec rigger, watched the flow of microsecond data flash across her retinal display.
"Officer?" inquired Macmahon, stalling halfway.
"Reegs Sir" replied the very slight rigger, Macmahon had expected a sturdy woman who drank GTX, not this 5'6 slip of a girl.
"What's your first name, Reegs"
"Are you hitting on me sir?" she shot back
"Jesus, why does everything have to come to that"
Reegs smiled "Saffy, sir, Saffy Reegs" she added putting him out of his misery.
"Saffy, oh never mind, do we have to drive this fast" Macmahon composed himself.
"The report said that you had cleared your high speed response training sir" Reegs said with minimal emotion
"This is a little faster than HSRT, Reegs" grumbled Macmahon

Saffy went quiet, concentrating, then hit the brakes, the car began to spin out at the rear, but just as it did, she gunned the engine again, ceramic brakes locking and unlocking, slowing the car in a controlled manner.

Macmahon looked ahead to see, a large truck had jack-knifed across their lanes on the I101.
"Hang on" said Saffy, the Audi spun and accelerated off onto the dirt track off-road, as it raced around the truck, two 4x4 pickups raced out to intercept.
"Going to be bumpy" said Saffy a little too calmly for Macmahon.

Sinner
New Blood
New Blood

Getting to know you!

Post by Sinner » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:07 am

Sinner smiled at Audrey. It wasn't the sort of smile that conveyed friendship. In fact, it was one that promised quite the opposite.
However, Sinner's voice, as he spoke, almost contradicted the smile.
"So Miss Audrey," the elf adjusted his position slightly, allowing one of his newly acquired Uzi III's to rest menacingly on his lap. "How are you feeling after your unfortunate little accident, nothing hurting too badly I trust?"

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 am

"Welcome back to tonights explosive episode of 'CANNONBALL', and when I say explosive I MEAN EXPLOSIVE"

The studio audience met the presenters delivery with whistling and cheers.
"Not since the I53 in 51 have we had this level if pure adrenaline, we've had swarms of drones, explosions, Cannonballers shooting attackers out of the sky, wildwest shootouts, kamikaze go-gangers and stunt driving"
"BEST OF ALL WE'RE ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH THE SHOW, SO DON'T GO FLICKING"