The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Details and a record of the characters exploits, successes and failures within the Parallel Worlds.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:29 pm

OTTO VON WEIRDIGAN – BIO

Never in the proud and golden history of Xertherus 7’s University of Methodical Buddhist Tec-Scientology had they had such a pupil in their ranks. Loud and outspoken, brash and unhinged, Otto Von Weirdigan was voted ‘The Xert Most Likely to Cause the Universe To Disappear up its own Arsehole’ by the College professors for a record 5 Thurucycles.
The reason for this will become known as I, Thermopiles the mystic Cosmoshrink to the mentally and cosmically unwell re-open the well-thumbed files of his exploits. Only fragments of his story are typed here.

On his first day of induction to the University he turned up naked to his first lecture wearing a placard saying ‘My Name is Otto, and this is how I was brought into the world and I am proud of who I am!’ On the reverse side it read ‘Ladies, any sexual favours you require of me must be submitted in writing only on the last day of every month due to my busy schedule’.

(Apparently he was most successful with the girls with this act of bravado and confidence but that’s beside the bloody point!) The Dean almost soiled himself with fury and was ready to have him cast out of the fraternity; the only thing that actually saved him (and let him continue his unorthodox ways) was that Otto had procured some incriminating phezographic evidence of the Dean’s secret liaisons with Flower, the university’s mascot duck. (I don’t think Flower will ever lay an egg again after that encounter I can tell you that for nothing! Ahem.)

By the end of the first term Otto had made himself a comfortable niche in the university, now having a plush room and study to himself (due to the professional agreement between him and the Dean.) he began to practice and investigate independently from the curriculum provided by the school and his methods (which he disclosed to me only during one of his therapy sessions) were far from the norm.

He started (or should I say continued, (how he had done this I know not)) his research in matter and particle trans-location and apparently (Bollocks!) created a time machine, of which he had used many times to add to intellectual arsenal. To get to this stage of his research he said had taken three years, and as he had progressed through this time he had become more unhinged almost as if the knowledge he had discovered in his so called ‘travels’ had drained the sanity from him.

They found him at the end of the term of his third year in the Neo Christian Church on campus, nailed on the large crucifix that adorned the nave of this religious campus. And above his head a sign that was written in his own handwriting that read; ‘If this is the price I pay for my immortality and to cleanse me of my sins, then with insight and far sight I hammer the third nail in myself.

As they proceeded to remove him from the cross they realised that he was still alive, he was placed carefully into the Levi stretcher. Whilst the stretcher was being moved to the medical wing of the campus, the medicist noticed a strange movement coming from Otto’s chest under his clothing. On further investigation of the movement my the medicist resulted in the aforementioned screaming loudly and fainting dead away, unfortunately down four flights of stairs (That they had been climbing at the time.) and collided into one of the janitors metal lockers which promptly fell on top of the unfortunate man.

Hence a mortician and the janitor with a bottle containing very strong detergent were called in to remove the remains.

What had caused the medic’s extreme shock was revealed when they finally reached the med-wing. Grafted somehow to Otto’s chest was the head of a dog! It was an Altairian Smooth Hound. (Similar to a Dachshund but creamy white with three red eyes) And seemingly it was alive and showing no signs of distress, in fact it seemed quite pleased to see them the orderly told me later.
The doctor informed me when I was called to the incident that both patient and passenger were doing very well, Otto had been near to asphyxiation and the timely arrival of the grounds keeper on his evening rounds had saved his life.

During that first night I stayed with him to monitor his sleep patterns and try to establish a link into his subconscious, this failed miserably and the only information that came from the subject was in the form of terrified rants whilst he was subjected to what I thought must be vivid nightmares.

Over the next few weeks I visited the hospital that he had been moved to. Otto was making excellent progress to full health and appeared nonplussed about the canine’s head in his chest and said that his name was Alabaster. Of his experiences he claimed that he had no memory of them and was adamant and eager to continue with his studies forthwith. But I had a flash of insight from my omni-subconscious locater implant that I activated at the beginning of every visit to Otto, a voice that sounded like him but somehow sounded more synthetic and false than this young mans baritone.

It was saying one word over and over again becoming more frenzied and unhinged, there was distinct sound of white noise crackling and shrieking in the background. The word was indistinct but growing more and more palpable by the second until the word howled and gibbered and roared the word ‘Soul Mech’. For a split second I saw Otto in the form that he had been ranting about in his subconscious terror. I left quickly, muttering my goodbyes and trying to contain my disquiet.

After that episode I had with the patient, it was brought to my attention later that he had signed himself out of the hospital that same night and had returned to his abode on campus where he would not admit visitors for over a fortnight. Strange stories were buzzing around the University about shouts, screams and commotions being heard coming from his room, and when finally X Tec security turned up and forced entry into his apartment, they found him calmly sitting on his sofa reading a book with a hot cup of choco.

With his room intact and with no obvious indication or evidence of any disturbance the security team with an embarrassed ‘sorry’ left him and promptly sued the University for time wasting.

The last two years of University life for Otto were a maelstrom of reckless fornication, intense personal study and outright contempt for his peers; he was constantly at odds with all the instructors especially with the History professor Arnold Lintenburgen. Who he had thought practiced history like a ‘twat’ (His words not mine.) and that the professors knowledge was flawed to incompetence. The professor was unsettled by the fact that Otto talked about ancient history in the first term, as if he had actually been there. And how he disclosed information that had never been recorded in any archives but invariably made sense in the grand scale of things.
But that didn’t stop Arnold laying Otto out with a punch for his impudence. The moral being, don’t ever disrespect a teacher especially when he’s an obsidian belt nano-kara-sumo instructor in his time off.

Well, those are a few examples of Otto’s escapades. As I write this he has left the University with full honours on all of his given subjects just a week ago. Before he left I managed to glean a little more information from him of his experiences. To cut to the chase (as I have a luncheon appointment with my secretary.) he is certain that somebody has been watching and following him on his ‘Travels through Time’ as he calls it. And he is certain that it is a soul mech of himself (Which of course is impossible) and that it has been created to stop him from doing some great task he has been born to do.

There you go Harry, a classic example of delusions of grandeur, or is it? I hope this memo has helped you in some way in your psychology thesis and you can draw your own conclusions of the instability and fragility of the human mind. Take care of yourself son.

Thermopiles.

P.s. Bear in mind that they never found out how he put the last nail in! And no forensic data supports an accomplice in this. So keep your mind open at all times!

OVERVIEW

Contrary to the aforementioned report, Otto has time travelled and although he has memory of most of his experiences there are a few that come to him in fragments. The time machine he created malfunctioned a year ago (three years after his stint at university) unfortunately trapping him ten years into the future. The machine has been cunningly hidden and Otto hopes (and believes) that the parts he requires can be found so he can continue his research.

To that end, he has been taking jobs as a field researcher for various companies and corporations; this has taken him to many of the Outland worlds where he has basically used the jobs to conduct his own investigations into the essential components he needs for his time machine. Due to his sometimes erratic and abrasive nature Otto has few friends, his best friend being the dog that is grafted to his skin.

Otto is in essence a good person; he hates to see regimes and points of view enforced onto civilisations and is a tolerant believer in the Dualist Heresy. It seems he has had the common sense (or is just waiting for a good opportunity) not to oppose the Empire in any shape or form yet, but working in the Outlands has fuelled his hatred for them. Otto feels that technology is a very special gift that needs to grow with the developing world, and is not to be thrown upon a technologically inferior world like an orphan without guidance. And the needless killing of the helpless inhabitants for the complete domination of their home worlds makes his blood boil.

‘People and worlds must develop and evolve at their own speed without some dirty great big red bastard stuffing it down their throats’.

So, his quest continues….


DESRIPTION

A tall man, Otto stands at six feet and two inches with short brown hair and piercing green eyes that almost seem to look through the people he sees and addresses. The small wire framed glasses accentuates that fact.

A long vertical scar that runs under his right eye and finishes at the tip of his chin enhances his handsome features somehow. This injury was sustained during the teleportation accent that will be described later.

He is normally very abrupt and sometimes very rude with people, but if their opinions or causes match his own in some way he will open up to them more. I mean, how can one man take on the might of the Dragon Empire?

Alabaster and Otto are symbiotic, due to an accident whilst Otto was trying to master teleportation through the use of a machine that he had devised at University. The teleporter malfunctioned and the Altairian Smooth Hound that was originally his pet (and the subject for his experiment) became a whole lot more to Otto as it was teleported to precisely the same location as the researcher and was fused to his body.

As a result Otto’s skin on occasion to shift as if independently alive, and he himself often adopts canine characteristics.

Alabaster can communicate psychically with Otto (and vice versa) and can sometimes sense things that the Xert cannot detect such as smells and also the presence of unseen things. He believes Otto will be able to create some machine that will be able to separate them from each other but secretly is happy with his lot. Alabaster is growing in intelligence all the time and fears that he will lose his gift if separated from Otto.

Otto is normally found wearing fire retardant overalls that are oil stained and bulging with tools in every pocket.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

A Cunning Plan

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 pm

A Cunning Plan.

Amdea Stewart had been somewhat surprised to receive Otto’s communiqué, the battle of Goodland had occurred sometime ago and the telephonist had thought the brave Otto Von Weirdigan long gone.
Despite her appeals to him to take her with him, at the time he had not.
However the invitation to Centrum City found its way to her and she promptly found transportation.
Before departure Amdea appraised herself in her full length gilded mirror, for a human woman in her late thirties she was in good shape, a pleasant some would say infectious smile and a pretty face.
She had never married, having never found the inclination with any of the male folk of Goodland but until now confined to the town by simply no desire to leave.
That was until they came, the southern plains orks had once again advanced into Adracia, however this time they had moved so far north that they threatened to sack Goodland.
A mysterious group of gentlemen had arrived a night previously to the orks and led the villagers to victory, a victory paid for in the villagers blood and mortar.
The meeting with Otto had been fascinating; he had taken her to dinner.
Despite his gentlemanly overtones, she found his language a little course, but curiously didn’t mind.
Equally odd was that despite the fact that he had arranged the whole thing and taken control, he was out of sorts with this social engagement, one could comment uncomfortable.
Until he got down to discussing business, with the immortal comment “I have a cunning plan”
Then the adventure began.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

The Cunning Plan

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Dinner.

As they sat down to the meal, the candlelight played off the faces of Otto and Ameda. The light somehow created a keen glint in Ottos eye, as he started to speak his plan.
Raising a fork of roast duck and draining a glass of fragrant wine he began.
‘Ahh! Delicious!’ Otto exclaimed, ‘How was you meal my dear?’ ‘Bollocks!’ he growled as the succulent piece of duck fell off his fork onto his lap.
‘Erm, sorry about that’ Otto said with uncharacteristic sincerity. ‘I do try to control myself’ he murmured as he wiped the gravy off his megatrousers.
Ameda smiles forgivingly. “So what’s this secret plan?”
‘Well!’ Otto leaned forward conspiratorially ‘My plan is to make a lot of money in selling one of my ideas to any major company who might be interested, but I need to be very careful in how I go about doing it.’ He drops his fork into the gaspatcho soup sending a huge splash of it over his shirt.
‘Forking butnuts!’ he swore in very bad Elvish.

‘Sorry’ he murmured as he attempts to wipe off the soup from his shirt with his sleeve. ‘I’m not very good at this dating game am I?’
He sighs loudly ‘It’s just that I want to be able to make a substantial amount of money to be able to rebuild Goodland with strong defences and have enough left to finance a few engineering projects of my own and to see you again’ he rubbed the scar on his face absently.

‘I don’t want to have lied to you Ameda, the reason why I left is because of the danger that has a nasty habit of following me around that’s all. Its certainly no place for a lass like you, I didn’t want to endanger you.’
Max, does Ameda know we are off-worlders? It’s going to be hard to tell her everything about my plan!
Ameda seems to ignore every faux pax you make. “So when do we start she grins”

‘Well, what we need to do is get some form of disguise for me’ (also make a facial disguise ala inspector Clouseau you know Max)
‘And buy an absolute scrumptious dress for you!’ he winks at Ameda. ‘Then we need to do some investigating into some dinner parties for the elite, and where they are taking place. We then need to get added onto the guest list and start plying my trade and try and make a lot of money for Goodland and us!
‘I also need to talk to that forger we met in Goodland too, to make us up some fake passports’.
‘My name is going to be…..’ Otto rubbed his stubble thoughtfully. ‘Dr Theopolis Duncan Spindle’
‘What do you want to be called my dear?’ as he absent minded rested his elbow in his gaspatcho soup.
‘Bollocks’ he said in disgust…..

Ameda smiles with a warmth that you have not encountered for a long time, its pleasant to sit with someone with no preconceptions, no big expectations, someone that doesn’t require justification.
“This is fun Theo, however your much better at this, what should my name be?”
‘How about Arianna?’ Otto ponders as he reaches out to hold her hands. ‘Its not too different from your pretty name’

The Ball.

The ball is an incredibly lavish affair, full of toffs in Victoriana finery, ladies in flowing gowns.
Sweeping ballroom music fills the ballroom.
The shapeshifting formulae has worked well, your friends in the University thought it a lark that you were on a secret mission and asked no further.
Industrialists were the people you sought, so splitting up yourself and Arianna make your way around the cliques.
‘God I need a Saviour Faire Implant!’ thought Otto ‘And a tolerate rich twats chip as well’ he muttered as he lowered his head politely in greetings to all the dignitaries around him. ‘Good Evening’ he said in a voice not unlike a friend of yours and mine (T.S!) as he dodged and weaved around the splendid throng.
A listen roll of 19.
This affair is a complete anathema to you, your hackles well and truly up, your teeth on edge; you adopt your best act and smile.
Within the hour you overhear the discussions of what appear to be a group of industrialists or engineers, discussions on output, traction and profits.

I’ll find Ameda amongst the throng (unless she is busy talking to somebody) and beckon her over with a smile and a kind gesture. Is there any topic in particular these engineers are talking about so I can express an opinion? (A positive one for them without betraying my real feelings? Ha ha!)

Arianna politely excuses herself from a group of ladies, for a once timid telephonist, she seems to be embracing the challenge, admirably.

The topic of conversation that drew you to the group, was the fact that they were working on a form of automotive racing venture, however that they had had problems with traction and gaining greater output from the steam combustion engines.
‘Ah, good evening gentlemen!’ Otto said in a deep booming voice.
(Charisma 19 Diplomacy 11)
‘Its always a pleasure to meet like-minded individuals!’ he added as he lit a fat cigar. ‘I’m Doctor Theopolis Spindle and may I introduce my wife, Lady Arianna Spindle’

‘I couldn’t help but overhear about the splendid work that you achieved on the Orville Dam, and I would like to congratulate you on such a great feat of engineering’
Backslapping and congratulations always help to grease up these self-centred bastards Otto thought.
He catches Ameda’s eyes with a loving smile and a wink before turning his attention back to the tycoons.
(Make a bluff roll)
If I have a deed point I’ll use it mate.
14 mate.
A moment of confusion runs through them as you can see them think ‘Spindle, do I know that name’, then humanoid nature kicks in.
“Ah Dr Spindle, of course”, good work last year “Yes we’re very proud of the dam, you overheard our chat about the engine, flummoxing us a little, what!”
(Make a Mechanics roll) - Mechanics roll of 25
Having to remember not to launch into a debate about Quantum Physics, Starlight Particles or anything else, you recite your detailed findings of the Combustion Engine.

“Why Doctor Spindle, we hadn’t realised we had someone so eminent in our midst’s, my name is Dr Craft says a shorter portly man, this is Professor Carmen (A taller individual) and Mr Edimus (A Gnome)”
“We’re working on developing a smaller but faster combustion engine for the purpose of racing” says Camen, “However we can only achieve one or the other, reduction in size but also power or maintain the size and gain the power, both impractical for our purposes, what”

Otto shakes Craft’s, Edimus and Carmen’s hands ‘Sirs, maybe I can help… And I should with my extensive knowledge should be able to make an engine which doesn’t lack in power (in fact will be more powerful) even when the engine size is reduced.’
Using Psychology of 17 I will read their reactions. See if one of these buggers isn’t a plant.
I would have briefed Amdea to keep an eye out for people listening in and spying on our conversations.
Nothing seems to betray the presence of watchers, either the three doctors are very good actors or they are genuine professors.
‘Well gentlemen, here is a rough outline of my plans…………..’
With and engineering roll of 24 I will give them a rough outline on the engine, with enough information to interest them greatly but not enough information for them to be able to go a create it!
I keep watching their reactions with an 11.
Carmen shakes his head, I can't see that working Dr Spindle, his colleagues follow suit.
"Perhaps we should meet for breakfast, and go over some proper plans."
"Theo would love to meet you for breakfast gentlemen", interjects Arianna
Mentally you groan as she says "Shall we say 7?"

"You old dog Dr Spindle, you didn't tell me you had a lovely such as this,” says Craft
‘Craft, I thank the heavens above every day knowing I have Arianna by my side’ Otto gives her an affectionate look.
He turns back to the party, with his confidence overflowing ‘I can assure you that it will work! And I would be honoured to join you gentlemen for breakfast to show you exactly how!’

Excellent Otto thought, we have whetted their appetite!

‘If you would excuse me Sirs, my lady and I have to do the rounds. I look forward to your eminent company in the morrow. So until then, fare thee well!’ Otto gives a small bow to the entourage and turns to Ameda. ‘My lady?’ He offers his arm to Ameda.
As they walk and smile and nod to people, Otto whispers in Ameda’s ear ‘It wasn’t an act when I said that it was wonderful having you by my side you know.’ ‘But 7 o’clock?’ He laughs heartily ‘You mean to torture me!’

She smiles a warm smile, since you went back to collect her, her confidence has grown and so has her prettiness.
Slightly frustrated with the etiquettes of Gothica, you go to your separate rooms, you sleep fitfully although awaken a couple of times, something you put down to excitement.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 pm

The Meeting.

Seven O Clock arrives very quickly, you move through the red carpeted and wood clad halls of the Harborough Gentleman’s Club, to a conservatory where your new associates sit.
Each springs to his feet.
"Spindle, excellent" Says Craft, "we'd like you to meet our financier, Mr Taylor".
At the far side of the breakfast table is a half-orc, powerfully built, a tweed suit and large gold rings on most of his fingers.
"Ello Dr Spindle" he says with a gleam in his eye.
‘Hello Mr Taylor!’ Otto shakes his hand firmly. I’m going to have to be careful here he thought………………….

The half-orc looks very surprised as you easily match his supposed vice like grip, since the live-ship affair you had treated yourself to some further augmentation, enhanced musculature had been the first, beneath the illusionary Spindle, runes glowed upon your arms.
Reassessing the situation, Taylor sits "Ahem, well Dr Spindle we're very glad to have you on board"

"I represent some sporting concerns that want something new, something exciting, something that brings the awe and amazement back into sports, something for the working class, something that will make a fortune"
"Automotive racing is the key, none of this dainty horse racing crap" with that a number of patrons turn at the vulgarity, Taylor’s glare quickly turns heads back to their previous pursuits.
"The difficulty has been building this engine, we need to go to speeds never seen before, and my boffins tell me that you could hold the key"
Charisma roll of 19


‘Gentlemen’ Otto enthuses as he looks around at the ensemble. ‘I do hold the key to a faster, more efficient and dare I say smaller engine!’ He steps confidently around the room. ‘An engine that is so efficient that it will double the amount of time for fuel consumption!’ as he speaks he looks to all the gentlemen in turn. ‘An engine that will run cleaner and quieter than you could imagine!’ Otto finally comes to a stop behind the table of Mr Taylor with his hands on the head of his chair. ‘And an engine, which will beat any of its competitors to a standstill!’

‘Gentlemen, here I have the blueprint of the engine in question.’ He holds up a number of copies and proceeds to hand them around. ‘The first thing you will notice is that it is only half of the blueprint, but from this you will understand that my engine is possible and not mere ‘pipe dreams’.
‘See for yourselves’ He gestures at the engineers.
‘I do this for obvious reasons, not that I do not in any way mistrust such eminent gentlemen. But the competition has eyes everywhere what?!’
‘The competition I speak of is of course Greythorpe and Associates amongst others’ (I would have done my investigations into this groups nearest rivals hence the name) ‘I have tried on my travels to find engineers of my calibre, and until last night I thought my quest was futile’
Otto walks out from behind the desk in front of the seated engineers. ‘I am glad to see that my quest was not a waste after all’
‘All I ask is that this transaction be kept with the utmost of secrecy, no problems there I think if you want Greythorpe not involved here, the engine will be yours in every respects. I will hand over the patents to you and you will be able to name it as you wish. I assure you this will sink Greythorpe once and for all! And make you men substantially richer than you are now, which is no mean feat!’
‘I am no major businessman, mass production and factories do not interest me, that is why I haven’t already blown your company out of the water’.
‘However’ Otto adds with impetus and a smile. ‘Money does interest me!’

‘I will accept only Mithril and precious jewels, and serious bids only’

Otto sits down in the chair beside Mr Taylor. ‘What is your offer?’

“What’s yer price” replies Taylor

“150’000 Guineas”

A stunned silence fills the room.
"Undred an fifty grand", that is a lot of money, Dr" says Taylor, "I fink you will need to meet the boss and see the enterprise.

Otto stands, ‘Mr Taylor’, looking at the assembled engineers ‘Gentlemen, it will be a pleasure!’

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Heading North.

The flight was a windy one, the skyship the "Jackynderr", a sleek black yacht slipped through the sky like a knife.
You headed due north northwest, the sky was dark rolling with angry clouds as you raced over the mountainous terrain of Northern Adracia.

After 4 or so hours the dark cloud cover breaks, revealing a pleasant coastline, curiously the ocean is an orange red in colour, high-lighted by the low sun.
Stretching out before you is an enormous racetrack, situated on a bluff overlooking the ocean, above it is a chateau like building.
The Jackynderr banks in toward the building.
The landing is rough as a heavy crosswind travels in off the sea, nothing compared to starcasting though.
Stepping off you are greeted by two very serious looking men in grey woollen suits.
"Dr Spindle, Mr Zorranson will see you shortly"

You are escorted into the opulent house, your techno-arcane senses flair, and the place has a sizable amount of glamour to it.
Led to a plush room, on the top floor, you have a view at the rear of the house, looking out onto an ornate garden that from above has been arranged and pruned to resemble some form of seal.
Is Amdea with Otto?
I would have recommended that she stay away in case it gets dangerous. But if she wanted to come Otto would have let her.
She followed your suggestion and remained behind.

I’ll have a good look around the room. Tapping my suit pocket that has the reassuring weight of a revolver in it Otto thinks to himself that he’ll have to play this very carefully.

What does the seal look like? Do I recognise it? The airship I arrived on, who does it seem to be allied to?
I don’t want to give the enemy a hand with technology!
(Make a Knowledge Arcanna Roll)
Roll of 12
The Seal appears to be some form of protection or luck driven symbol, your not sure, however it does seem to incorporate a family crest that you see hung above the door of your room.
Again your fledgling arcane senses detect the slightest hint of a magical presence from the crest.
The door swings open; the individual knocks as they open it.
I walk over. 'Here we go' I think……………

The blond man leads you through a series of white plastered halls, adorned with various renaissance paintings and shields.
You are led into a large dark room, dimly lit from horizontal narrow slit windows at the top of the high walls.
A well dressed figure in a dark suit turns and smiles, he is pale, with a mop of blonde hair.
"Doctor Spindle, I'm delighted that you could come, what did you think of the test track outside"
(Make a Search Roll)
Roll of 14
You feel decidedly uneasy

“Very impressive, Mr?” Otto enquires politely.
I'll have another good look around.
Search of 16
"How rude of me Dr Spindle, I am Acram Zorranson, please take a seat, would you like some refreshments"
(Make a search and Arcanna Test)
Search 17

Arcanna 26 (Crit Success of 20!)
Something feels decidedly amiss, and you thank your lucky stars for your foresight in leaving Amdea behind.
"Mr Taylor informs me that you are very accomplished and could well have the innovation we need to get his venture off the ground"
"He also informs me that you require 150'000 Guineas for your work, what would I have for such an investment Dr Spindle"
You notice that he moves across the room to the fireplace, where he stands staring into his cognac tumbler.
I give him a very rough outline on what he would have for his money. Making very VERY sure, that it is in line with the technological standard of the tech level.
Engineering of 26 so if this is an offworld investigator he won't be able to nobble me.
'Mr Zorranson, what would my ideas be put into? Your associates were talking about racing cars?'
'I smell a rat, if I need to sabotage my own work to prevent it being used then so be it' I think to myself.
What is he doing by the fireplace?
Search of 15
He quickly steps over to a wooden case, a deep red lacquer means its glows with the firelight, and opening it he turns it to your direction, revealing guineas.

"20 Thousand now, the remainder upon your handing over of the blueprints, do we have a deal Doctor Spindle?"

'Sir, before I make my decision. May I have a tour of your facility to see what your fellows are working on? So I might be able to integrate my findings into your technical abilities?' 'The work may require other machinery which you do not have access to'
He shouldn't be able to refuse this.
Diplomacy of 17
Zorranson smiles, "Of course Doctor, however I would be neglecting my duties as a host if I were not to insist that you have dinner and a good nights sleep before seeing the facilities in the morning"

"Do not forget Doctor, the facilities here are one quarter of those to be built within Newhaime just east of Centrum"

The door opens to reveal the grey suited man.

"Curso will show you a wardrobe so you may be suitably attired for dinner"

The dinner moves along amiably, as well as Zorranson, two gentlemen and a rather delectable lady are present.
(Make a Fort Save and Search Roll)
Fort Roll of 9
Search roll of 23 mate.
And a Will Save?

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Did Otto manage to abscond the liveship?

Well we wanted the strength upgrade.
I would have like to have looked into creating a technological fetish to maybe allow me to use spells at a reduced amount of time rather than half an hour! (Or maybe even a level higher than I am capable of. (i.e. lvl 1 Mage + fetish = lvl 1 Mage +lvl 2 spells! So I would always be a level ahead in spells.
£50,000 Gothican pounds would have went to the people of Goodlund to rebuild their homes and way of life mate, leaving a Million for Amdea and Otto to play with.
I would also like a fetish that would allow me to activate and deactivate the weight of the bonelacing, (sort of like a feather fall on it but not for obvious reasons!) It will be lethal in combat but also highly effective when traversing fragile places!
I would like to endeavour to have Alabaster transplanted out of Otto; I think he could be really useful, as I would work to make sure he kept the intelligence he got off Otto. And maybe even with surgery enabling him to speak! High priority this!
What is with the runes glowing on my arms? Is this the result of uncracking the box? And if so what is it? I would have researched myself.
But my priority think I want is the Absorption ability, the uses will be as follows: Depending on the damage absorbed by Otto he will be able to do the following:
For Example, Otto gets raked by SMG fire for 30 points of damage. His absorption takes it, and rather than each point goes to an attribute (like GURPS Supers; excellent but unfair in D20) Otto could heal somebody for 30 points of damage, or administer 30 points of damage to an enemy by a fist strike! I would like it to look like he was building electricity throughout his body as he was hit and unleashing it in a positive force. (In some cases like a lightening bolt etc)
Furthermore, we could take the ability a little further and say that 10% of the total damage could be used in skills. I.e Otto gets hit by a mace for twenty points of damage, the absorption takes it, 20 points divided by 10 = +2 physical skills for temporary use which he uses in this instance in a melee attack. The rules for it here are not exhaustive, we could always add more!
What do you think? It could be rather amusing seeing him try and beat himself up to get a few points to help with his research! (But in emergency uses only!)
Do you have any suggestions Mate? It would be great to hear from them so I could build from them.
Any news on my requests? I would like to be able with absorption to administer and heal damage equal to the absorption level if possible. But I understand about any of the other uses though. Let me know anyway what your decision is.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Will 15
It is later that night as you sleep that you really sense something is wrong, you awaken as something sharp strikes you in the neck.
Slightly disorientated, you shake the sleep from your eyes and senses, as see a figure recoil across the room.
Its eyes flash, a faint red, as you feel a drowsiness wash over you, shaking this off, you see it has collected itself near the fire place of your room.
What is it?
I grab the oil lamp to my side and hurl it at the thing by the fireplace.
Throw of 17.
Sadly mythology points the way, the creature snarls, and its vaguely humanoid face contorting with rage as it moves away from the fire.
Its darts across the room in a zigzag fashion, heading straight for you.

I grab the blanket, which I have been sleeping in, and I hold it like a matador, for when it comes in range I want to wrap the blanket around his head. Thus disorientating him for a while. Melee roll of 16. Giving me time to find my gun!
(Make an Initiative Roll)
Initiative roll of 17
And Strength Roll
What is my current strength with the implants I have at this time?
Roll 2D6
4 mate
What has the rune key done to me mate? I would have researched it.
Make a Biophysics and Research roll.
Current Str is 15 (+2)
Biotech roll of 28
Research roll of 17
Then my Strength Roll from previous is 12.
It has replaced your arms with some form of biomechanical augmentation, its similar to genetics, nainites and techno magical but not quite any of them, your strength various fluctuating from a slight enhancement to massive increases, your arms seem to frequently reconfigure themselves, developing additional servos etc.
Do I manage to wrap the blanket around its head?
The creature springs towards you; in a toreador fashion you swing the blanket in an attempt to wrap its head, however the creature is too quick ducking under the attack, and swiping you across the face.

Claws rake across your flesh, however they are met by the impenetrability of adamantium.

'Arghhh!' Otto roars with shock and pain. 'You bastard!'

He attempts to grab the creature around its neck with a hand.
Melee of 13.

What is this thing? Can I see a face?
Incidentally with the oil lamp, it wasn't lit anyway!
Roll Strength and Initiative.
Initiative of 16 & Strength of 6.
You end in a mad tussle, as fangs and claws lash around, ripping clothing, but not achieving a great deal.
You break from the frantic thrashing around, and circle each other.
(Make a Will Save)
Will of 16
You feel slightly drowsy, as the creatures eyes seem to grow larger. Teeth bare as he flings himself at you once again.

Otto shakes his head to clear the feeling and as the creature advances with a 22 for melee he socks the creature in the face. With a Strength roll of 17 hopefully the blow will knock him backwards, giving me time to get my sword! The pistol shot will be far too noisy!

Swinging you strike the creature in the face, it staggers back slightly confused as its nose has burst open.
(Make an Initiative Check
)
Initiative of 14 mate
.

Darting across the room, you pick up your sword.
(Will Save)
A Will Save of 16, I will attempt to keep the bed between it, and me giving Otto an advantage.
Howling in frustration, the creature shreds the sheets upon your bed.
Shaking its foul influence, you ready yourself as it lunges forward across the bed it arm colliding with one of the bedposts, shattering it.
With a melee roll of 14 I will slice at the creatures throat attempting to cut its head off
.
Does Otto know what this is? As the bedpost would come in handy!
I think its safe to assume he's got a fairly good idea.
With the shattered bedpost in his left hand and the longsword in his right he will spring at the vampire over the bed and attempt to stake it in its heart.
Ooops melee roll of 6!
Both of you spring, however it is quicker, your movements are slow and cumbersome highlander.

Its clawed hand sweeps, catching you across the face, skin splits across your cheek, spewing blood across the room.

(Not more bloody scars!) He thinks as he grimaces in pain. He roars in rage as he crashes across the room scattering books and clothes pell mell!
Otto will attempt to sweep its legs out from beneath it. With a 9! Bugger!
'Ah a spot of luck' you think, as its gets its legs wrapped in the bedclothes and stumbles off the bed onto the floor.
The sheets shred as its vents its fury and runs at you.

Right! He thinks 'Take This!' He shouts as he boots the vampire full in the face like a world class Brockian Ultra Football player!
With a 23! Better!
Hopefully with the kick the bastard will reel onto his back! Luck of 15
Then I will with a Concentration of 12, and a Melee attack of 17 attempt to stake the tart in the heart!
The creature flies backward, blood spewing from its mouth, it crashes backward.

Lunging forward you rotate the blade, smiling you chide yourself for borrowing that one from Enailis, with a downward stab, you thrust in below its ribcage, the creatures eyes bulge and it looks around stricken.
(Make a Will Save)
Will of 19 mate.
The creature’s eyes flare, as it meets your gaze.

Steeling yourself you shake its attempt to influence you.
Your move!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Strike it across its face, forcing its head to avert his eyes from me!
Melee of 15 Fortitude of 9
Its head rolls to one side, at that point the door to your room opens.
Zorranson bursts in, accompanied by several men.

"DOCTOR step away from the beast"

He moves swiftly across the floor, gripping the creatures face in both of his hands.
"Doctor I have little in the way of apology, please forgive the behaviour of my brother!!"

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Revelations.

Otto Steps back.

'Your Brother Sir?' Shaking with rage and shock as he wipes the blood from his face.
'I think you have some explaining to do Zorranson if you want any of my assistance' Otto hisses in fury. 'And if it doesn't wash I wish to leave!'

The men drape heavy chains around the creature; hoisting the struggling form between them they silently carry it out of your room, like the bearers of a coffin at a funeral.

Zorranson looks drained.

"Doctor Spindle"
He takes a deep breath, fighting to compose himself.
Without asking he pours you a brandy, pouring one for him.
"My family bears a dark bloodline Dr, in some distant past my fathers line was infected by a vampiric curse, throughout the generations of my family the taint has manifested itself, all of my siblings are inflected with this condition, hence why we live this far north"

'And you expose me to this curse Sir?' Otto seethes.

So that is the bad feeling I had Otto thinks to himself.

'Elaborate if you please Zorranson’ as Otto dips his fingers into the brandy (smells it for toxins etc Chemistry 19!) and if ok dabs it on his facial wounds. He sits down on the chair in the wrecked bedroom feeling the comforting weight of the service revolver in his pocket.
"What would you have me tell you, doctor!?”Says Zorranson, as he seems to compose himself and sits.

'What is it you actually do here? I have seen glyphs and wards of unknown portent and power, and now the undead prowl the corridors of your home. Tell me everything. That is if you value my contribution to your company.' Otto crosses his arms, waiting patiently for a reply.

"I had not considered you knowledgeable of the arcane arts, Dr Spindle, your many talents grow all the more numerous"
He thinks for a moment

"Just as I've said Dr, my family has this history as it were, the local villagers and indeed ourselves need to be protected, my great grandfather began to look into the arcane arts, firstly to purge this taint and then upon failure to do so my Grandfather invested considerable efforts into learning protective magics"

He looks out of the window at the black sea

"The infected are kept in a cottage some way down the cliff below us, however my brother it seems had managed to escape"
"Tell me Dr are you skilled in the arcane, that would explain his seeking you out"
Otto sips at the brandy. 'In my search for knowledge I have come across many strange things. Glyphs and pentangles and the like, supposingly for the use in the 'dark arts'. I was going on an assumption, and it appears to be correct. I am no master of the arcane arts sir!'

'Now, Mr Zorranson. If you would be so kind as to escort me to the ship so I may depart as I feel I am not either comfortable or welcome here.'

"I can understand that Dr, however the Skyship won't be able to leave until morning due to storms"
"I am hoping that you can continue our business arrangement, despite these trying events"
I look out the window, what is the weather like?
'I will write out the blueprints for you, with these your scientists and engineers will be more than capable of creating the better engine of which you seek. However I have seen no sign of the money I will be paid for this work.'
Intimidation of 17.
I am pretty pissed off too!
It looks pretty stormy outside.

"We have another room for you Doctor, I will station a guard, although I doubt very much that you will be disturbed further, we shall discuss changes to our arrangement tomorrow"

'Very well Sir, I will accept your offer of the room and the guard' Otto stands up and proceeds to gather his gear. After that he will await being shown his room.

You settle in your new abode, still wary of this nights events.

You hear the guard settle down outside your door, before finally you settle to sleep.
(Make a Will Save)
12 mate.
The whole situation seems much improved in the morning, perhaps you over-reacted you think.
The sky has cleared, a brighter morning, a new start to business.
Otto has his morning ablutions and shaves. He dabs the cuts on his face with some after shave. The fresh sting awaking him further. He dresses and goes to his jacket to take out the revolver, checking to see if it clean and serviceable.
'Right you buggers' he says under his breath 'Time for it!' as he places the iron back in his pocket.
He opens his door and steps out.

"Ah doctor, you look refreshed, did you sleep well"

A puzzling thought occurs that there was some concern last night, but you dismiss it as perhaps a nightmare, and you do feel very refreshed.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Have I forgotten what happened last night?
It would seem so.
Ok!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:07 pm

'I slept well thank you.' Otto smiles amicably. I am interested now in starting the blueprints for the engine, I would like to see what I will be paid Sir.'

Zorranson wipes his mouth on his napkin.

"Here we are Doctor, 250 thousand Guineas" as he opens a case before you, the rest upon our achieving a working engine.
My ship is ready to take you to our construction facilities, after breakfast of course!"

'That sounds splendid Sir! Lead on!'
Otto is very hungry!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Spark Town.

Breakfast goes down well, and you are led outside to the landing platform where Zorranson Sky-yacht is moored.
The trip is fast and exhilarating, as the craft flies back to Centrum City and then proceeds further north until you circle over an ugly town seemingly made entirely from metal scaffolding, pylons project upwards from virtually every building arcing blue current between them.
The ship swings in and level with paved field beyond the town, where an individual steps forward to greet you.
The Gnome is a rather portly specimen; uncharacteristic for a gnome you think, such rotundness is usually the province of halflings, ahem Dexy not included.

"Tiberious Greeg" pleased to meet you Doctor Spindle, welcome to Spark Town!"

'The pleasure is all mine Mr Greeg!' he shakes the gnomes hand warmly. (At last some blue collar workers, salt of the earth!)'What an astounding place you have here! Please give me the honour of a tour Sir!' Charisma of 18 (might as well work on getting a few friends for a change!)

With great gusto Greeg takes you to the factory, where all manor of huge pistons, pressing machines, foundries, dollies and ramps.
The chassis of various steam automotive racers are upon benches, sparks flies from the foundries and the sound of rivets if almost deafening.

'Outstanding!' Otto Enthuses. 'Now take me to where the engines are being tested and made sir!'

Time to make your money Otto he thinks to himself.

I don't know how much longer I can keep acting like a gentleman! Although I quite like the interaction between people! He contemplates to himself. Maybe I need some lessons in Savoir Faire!
He immediately takes you to a section of the factory where various compact steam engines sit on benches, grease and oil covers everything.
'Ok!' He claps his hands as he grabs a pair of overalls from a hanger on the wall. He puts them on with great enthusiasm, which almost makes him fall over.
Hi changes his normal glasses for a pair of spectacles not unlike the ones Ichabod Crane wears in Sleepy Hollow and peers at the engine.
Engineering roll of 18
Straight away you can see the intrinsic weaknesses across the engine, how the steam is regulated, stress points and so on, so the big problem that they faced is either that the engine can achieve speeds but tears itself apart or can't.

'Ah, so that’s the problem' he says aloud. 'I'm going to have to recast the engine from a stronger metal and make an engine from scratch!'

I start drawing sketches for the gnome to see. 'This is what I intend to do!'
Engineering of 17
'Nothing super drastic in advancement but I should be able to strengthen the integrity of the engine and thus get the faster speed you all crave you mad buggers!'

Greeg follows your thoughts with some interest, avidly watching as for several hours you draw and redraw various designs.
Eventually he yawns and excuses himself "I should check on production, time has run away with us"
As he crosses the shop floor, the explosion his the corrugated outer shell of the factory bulges and rips, the noise then hits you like a deafening roar, heat rolls like some kind of tidal wave.
Greeg is picked up and lofted across the workshop.
(Ref Save and Fort Save)
Ref of 11 Fort of 19
Your frame absorbs the damage, as other flesh and blood men are swept away or torn to pieces.
You are like the proverbial pin cushion.
'Its all very well have an adamantium frame, still hurts like buggery' you think.
(7 Points of damage)
'Ahh Zarquan!' Shouts in shock and pain as he tears pieces of glass and wood from his face.
Otto looks around for the gnome, he wants to help him.

What the hell caused this?
Engineering of 27
Spot of 13

Was it mechanical or is it the work of sabotage?

You spot the gnome in amongst the wreckage.
The damage inflicted on the workshop has all of the hallmarks of a bomb.

'Shit!' Otto manoeuvres around the detritus and wreckage to help the trapped gnome.
'Let him be ok' Otto murmurs to any god who might be listening.
What is my strength currently?
(Roll 2D6)
You pick through the debris, finding the gnome under a pile of smaller shrapnel.
He is alive but barely, his body is covered in burns and he has lacerations to most of his body.
Commence ABC and CPR. First aid of 27.
The gnomes vital signs shift and he almost seems to fight your aid, as if giving up.
However perseverance and sheer bloody mindedness on your part stop the wee man from slipping away.
'Bloody mindedness is my middle name' Otto thinks. 'He's not dying on my watch!'

I will pick him up softly and move him to a safer location. Then grabbing my pistol to hand I will move slowly and carefully to find out which bastard did this.
Move silently of 7 eek!
As you venture out into the gray sky, your vision is obscured by thick black smoke.
Through the smoke huge figures loom, your instincts scream at you, as great Cog automations stride from the blanket of obfuscation.
The Cogs ignore you, moving to the factory, huge hand pump extinguishers in their metal gauntlets, they begin to quell the fire.

"Doctor Spindle! Are you hurt" as you see Mr Tailor cough and wave his way through the smoke.
'Not as bad as some of the other poor sods' Otto coughs and splutters on the ashes of destruction. 'Here come and help me with Greeg, he's pretty torn up' Otto gestures as he limps quickly back to where he hid the gnome holstering his pistol.

'Hurry Up Tailor!' Otto's hoarse voice echoes back from the bowels of the ruined ruins workshop.

The floor of the workshop is now sodden, revealing the grisly scene of saturated burnt corpses.
Tailor surveys the scene with a grim look upon his face, steeling himself, he stoops and in an almost fatherly manner he lifts Greeg.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Kidnap

Dr Craft looks out of his third story office, a mixture of solemnity and upset across his face, surveying the scene of ruin.
Tailor re-enters the office, 'a Skyship has arrived for you Dr Spindle, it seems you are required in Centrum City, it seems your lady is in a spot of bover.'

'Before I go anywhere you can explain to me what is going on around here!' Otto exclaims.

With a croak Craft turns "Ahem, I'm not sure Spindle, however by the carnage wrought and the blood, I would hazard a guess that it was the work of saboteurs!"
"Spindle, we'll look after things here,” says Tailor "your good lady needs you!"
'What has happened to Arriana?' asks Otto through clenched teeth. 'And how do you have communiqué with her? Are you trying to cover something up here? What are you people playing at as you seem to want me out of here very quickly?'
Psychology roll of 26 Are they hiding something?

I put my hand into my jacket pocket that houses the revolver.....

They don't appear to be hiding anything, Craft turns and stares back out of the window.

"Arriana is safe doc, there wus some fuss but they’ve sorted it out, she's askin' fer you" says Tailor in his most disarming tone, which isn't very disarming.

As you speak to him you see a Royal Fleet gunboat, float in too hover over the space between the various warehouses.
"Bloody ell" says Tailor "A gunboat"
That gunboat doesn't seem too encouraging Otto thinks.
'Ok gentlemen, I am ready to leave. If you require my services you have but to contact me.'
I wait to be escorted to the ship.
I didn't complete my engine for them did I? The blueprints are still with me?
That is correct.
An ensign arrives, "Doctor Spindle this way, please"
Following him down the stairs, you board the steel cage that is suspended beneath the iron clad, there is a winding of cable and the cage rises through the hull, into the bowels of the ship.
No sooner have you boarded, than a crewman sounds that you’re aboard through the tube and the craft begins to climb.

"Is way doctor, the captain is waitin' for you"

Before I follow him I will gaze pensively at the gunboat that has just berthed. Is anyone getting out of it?
Spot of 13.

A spot of confusion, you've boarded the gunboat.
Ah ok, I'll follow the Ensign.

Moving through the myriad of steel corridors and ladders, you arrive upon the officers’ deck, far more plush before being escorted to the Captains room.
The ensign opens the door, allowing you to enter the captain’s war room.

"Otto Von Weirdigan, our paths meet again" says Lord Ivallian.

'Ello Captain, er, do I know you?' Otto drops the facade of Theo instantly.

You do this is the Lord who patronised you in Centrum City.
'I'm in the shit now' Otto thinks.

'And what a 'pleasure' it is.' sounding less enthusiastic about it.
'What do I owe the pleasure of your presence here?'

I take a seat and sit down.

Lord Adrias Ivelliian stands and pours you both a drink, he allows a bursts of turbulence to pass, before turning and seating himself after giving you your drink.

"Doctor Von Weirdigan, you leave me in a quandry, your Imperial Charter specifically forbids the advancement of my worlds technilogical level, and here you are"

'And what is that supposed to mean?'
(I always knew these bastards were keeping a leash on us)

"Doctor it would be prudent for you not to become confrontational, I am in a position to help you and have already collected you to speed you to Adrianna's assistance"
"I have not forgotten what you did for Goodland and for Centrum City"
A rare look of deep concern shadows Ottos face. What has happened to Arriana? I emphasise her name.
"She was taken from the hotel where you were staying in the city, a Watchman stumbled across the kidnapping and was killed, and this in turn alerted the authorities.
They have been traced to a mill, in the Smelters District."
"Otto, I have informed no-one of this or your activities, as I said I have not forgotten your heroism"

"The Empire has manipulated Gothica for a long time, if your activities remain discreet I can turn a blind eye"

'Ivallian, I would like to let you know that I was doing this venture for the benefit of the people of Goodlund. If I was to make a small profit for Arriana and myself it would have been a bonus.'

'Now answer me this, did you destroy the complex I was working in?'

Ivallian looks a little irritated at the statement
"Of course not, Doctor, 'Zorranson Future Mechanical Apparatus Esq' is one of the lesser evils within Adracia's Industrialists, intelligence indicates the work of separatists or possibly another company such as Greythorpe and Associates"

"I don't think you've been listening to me! As long as your profits are not too extensive then I will turn a blind eye, in fact Doctor should your efforts reward Goodland you have my secret blessing"

The ship seems to accelerate; a slight shudder runs through the stresses of the hull plating, your arcane senses detect an elemental power not unlike the Dory Wraiths a while ago.

'My apologies Ivallian, and thank you for your support. How long until we get there?'
Otto starts pacing the room, worried for his 'wife'.

Ivallian stands and looks at a circular brass instrument, with a glass face, observing the various metal numerals that are continually flowing downwards he turns.

"I would say about an hour give or take, we'll transfer directly to a smaller launch and travel to 'The Smelters District' promptly.

(Did I hear you say wife?)

(Ha ha ha maybe!)

'Ok I need to get tooled up as it were, have you any weapons and armour onboard?' Otto stops pacing to observe Ivallian.
'I'm not going in guns blazing but I need a little protection you understand' he says disarmingly as he fingers his scar on his face.

(Put it this way, the bastards had best not have laid a finger on her or I’ll paint the walls with their entrails!)
"Well this is a warship, I also have something that was confiscated from yourself and your companions"

Opening his case he pulls out a Dragontech Automatic pistol and a slightly battered elven style jacket, one that you remember was laced with Dragontech Mithrillium weave.

"I think that should suffice, anything else?"
(Bloody hell!)

'That should do the trick, I thankyou.' Taking the pistol he feels the weight in his hand and places it in his pocket and in the same movement removes the service revolver and puts it on the Lords table.

'What can I expect to find there?' he asks. 'And can I rely on you to wait for me to return?'

(What are the stats for this baby?!)
"I will have to return to affairs of state, I'm sure you'll appreciate 'Otto', absences on my part are noticed after a while, however I have someone very trustworthy keeping an eye on the situation!"

(1D12+2D4 (Crystal Carbon rounds)/Crit: 20 x3 Mod)

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 pm

The gunboat 'Steel Fury' roars across Centrum City's air space, circling into a private landing field.
A half hour that feels like an eternity later the gunboat has docked, a steam carriage waits for Ivallian and another for you.
The lord smacks the side of your carriage, as you board.
"Driver all haste"

With that the carriage lurches to life, accelerating out from the field and through the cobbled streets, at almost break neck speed.
The carriage arrives after another period of agonising time.
A Watchman appears from the shadows of a doorway, a fine drizzle turns the brick building in a bleak grey world, full of dark shadows.

"Doctor Spindle" the Watchman whispers, 'This way'.
Following he leads you through a series of open air corridors, until you arrive at the base of a metal fire escape, leading you up you arrive
on a rooftop where a number of plain clothed men stand, several telescopes are set up on tripods.
A large half-orc nods to you and taps a smaller human on the shoulder, the man turns, and again he's familiar.

He stands five and a half feet tall, with shortish black hair, shot through with grey, thick silver whiskers and a long coat.

"Welcome back to Centrum Doctor" says Inspector Vestrian.

'I wish it was a pleasure visit gents' Otto shakes their hands, the fatigue and tension very palpable in his face.
'What is the situation here? What has happened with Arianna?
Vestrian takes you to one side.

"A group of men seized your good woman, they've taken her to several places before arriving at this mill, fortunately our network of sparrows has managed to keep up with them, so far we believe they are unaware of our knowledge of their whereabouts"
'Why have they taken her?' Otto hisses menacingly. 'Have they any demands?'

"They have made no contact with us at all, in fact they have made every effort to avoid being detected"

Otto pats Vestrian on the shoulder and attempts to smile disarmingly; it comes out more of a grimace.

The drizzle turns turns into a downpour, creating a wall of water, which is illuminated into a garish red from the gas burning lights in the streets. Otto pulls his jacket in closer. Steam from the rooftops of the houses builds creating a mist which clings to the buildings like a parasite. The men observing the kidnappers instinctively huddle closer together.

'They're after me obviously' speaking to himself more than Vestrian. 'I think I should give them what they want.'

'How many are there?' he asks having to raise his voice as the rain is hammering the rooftops and building to a deafening crescendo.
"We have counted 6 so far." Replies Vestrian

Lightening flashes across the sky, the Thunder is not far behind...........

"Ordinarily we would deal with this Doctor, however remembering your abilities from a year or so back, I'll bow to your stratagem" says Vestrian, "However we should act quickly, they do not stay in one place for more than a night and this is their second in this locale"

'Ok Vestrian, here is my plan' Otto squints towards the windows which is proving very hard to do what with the rain and fog.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm

'I want your officers with rifles to cover every exit into and out of the building; I am shortly going to be entering it. If anyone leaves the building without making this sign (a finger (The Bird!)) shoot to incapacitate them. I want the drainage (if there is any Max at this time) to the house filled with water to prevent any escape below ground.'

Otto slips and slides over to one of the telescopes, the rain isn't easing up at all in fact it seems to be getting worse.
Are there any houses adjacent to this one mate?
There are buildings adjacent.
"Right you heard the man, unfortunately Doctor we haven't time to fill the sewers"

'Bugger, Ok gentlemen. God be with you all' '(And with Arianna and me too)'

Sergeant Taft the large half-orc watchman slaps your back "Don't worry doctor we'll get her back"

These are the first words the burly watchman has said, making their way through the night, some of Watchmen move across the rooftops, whilst the others make their way down fire escapes.

Each heading for the warehouse and their quarry.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Is the roof of the other house near enough for me to be able to jump?
It would be a very athletic jump but yes achievable.
Sorcery of 15 for Floating disk.
24 for Featherfall.
Jump Roll: 11 mate
I create enough inertia first before I jump running forward normally before casting the spells.
Leaping out somewhat clumsily, the enhancements take hold, your stride extended by the ring of steel to which your Tensor is connected.
Sailing across you land somewhat awkwardly upon the adjacent rooftop to the warehouse.
I keep the floating disk close to me; I'll be able to use it as a decoy. I'll drape my coat over it and secure the hat to the top of it. It'll look like at first glance a person!
I keep feather fall active (like a stacked spell) but turn it off temporarily.

Otto turns and salutes to the Orc, and proceeds to the door on the roof.
Detect Traps of 27
Taft salutes back, examining the hatch you see a trip wire, currently slack, below through skylight you can see grimy soot covered pipework.

You had arrived at the hatch, detected its trip-wire and have discovered that it opens outward towards you.
I will use my disarm traps ability mate. Making sure there aren’t any backup traps there as well.
Disarm of 26
Carefully working your way around the edge of the skylight, you control your urge to rush to her aid.
Your patience pays off as you disarm several traps, leaving the skylight open to you.

Below you can hear the sounds of hurried movement.
Listen roll of 18! Can I sense anything with Alabasters help? Smells etc?
A moment of sadness passes you as you recall Alabaster's leaving, during the Liveship affair.
However it does prompt you too activate your Headware sensory suite, your right eye clouds filling with analytical data, it reports back a variety of fumes, mildly toxic, heated water vapour, oil, dust, the air is heavily static from some loose wiring, you can hear the noises of some 6 individuals below, one elevated, the others at ground level.

They are whispering in some guttural tone or tongue.
Drop down the hole using feather fall, I Then find cover. I check the stability of the flooring for my weight. Hide of 19. Use headware of 27.
A listen and Spot roll of 19 is made to search for the elevated voice.
I will locate a light switch (I take it that the lights are flickering anyway in the house) and using Sabotage I will create a delayed reaction timed short circuit. Which should put out all of the lights in the house. The delay will be for 10 minutes.
Sabotage of 22.
Is the thunder and lightning still happening?
Dropping in through the hatch you slowly fall, landing on an upper gantry.
The minute you begin to move to the shadows, sparks fly off the gantry as gunfire erupts from the floor and lower gantries, your headware also detects the movement of someone coming up!

Its strange thinking in two different time zones! I forgot Alabaster was no longer part of me!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Maintain my hidden position and wait. ‘Who the fuck moved in too soon?’ Otto thinks with mounting fear and dread for Arianna.
I slowly draw my pistol; I will have my headware sensors running to assess the person coming towards me. I’ll make sure it isn’t a friendly first.

‘When you make your shot, make it good. And hit the floor running!’ Otto prepares himself mentally for conflict and blood.
Concentration of 15
Your headware informs you that a figure is heading up the flight of stairs, onto your gantry, heading at you with pace.
The figure a large brutish, humanoid with totally black skin, surges up onto your level.
(Make an Initiative Roll)
Sensors of 16
Sense Motive 15
Am I being targeted for an attack?
The figures posture and adrenal levels would indicate yes.
Pull no punches mate; I let the hulking humanoid have three rounds from the gucchi revolver.
Shot: 1 - 12
Shot: 2 - 17
Shot: 3 - 26 Crit Success!
The big creature that your sensors identify as some kind of orc breed, charges forwards.
Your first two shots hit it in the torso, not even slowing it or appearing to harm it, the third shot strikes it dead centre of the forehead.
(Roll a D20 for the Crit and damage=1D12+2D4 x 3 if you roll a 20)
15 For the D20 Damage of the orc on the stairs mate.
Your innate senses detect a particular darkness, your sensors pick up entropic energies coming off the ork, as your shot hits it and knocks it back down the stairs.
You hear a grunt of pain as it lands, hauls itself back onto its feet and begins to charge back up the stairs.
Jury rig of 26
I will quickly agitate the bullets in the gun making them high explosive.
I’ll then put another in his napper!
True Strike spell 16
Concentration of 14
Shot of 18
As the black skinned ork bounds up the stairs, you fire!
The shot slams into the top of the orks head, literally tearing it off and throwing the body down through the steelwork of the gantries.
Gunfire continues to strike the underside of the gantry, your sensors picking up hurried movement below and the sound of scraping stone.
(Make a Ref Save
)
Ooops, reflex of 12.
One round penetrates the gantry, angrily striking your arm, tearing a large hole through your sleeve, you grunt in pain as it stings like hell, your biomechanical arms however are merely scratched.

‘Grrr Right!’ Otto Rumbles in fury.

He holsters his pistol, and peers through where the bullet hole has been made. What can he see?
Is the gantry made out of wood?
I will wedge my arms on either side of the ladder hand holds (I take it there is a rail) holding the pistol and sword and I’ll slide down the ladder like I do onboard ship. With my legs lifted off the rungs.

Otto will shoot down like a torpedo!
Dexterity of 16
(Make a Ref Save and Tumble roll)
Ref of 17
Tumble of 15
You shoot down the various steps, luckily connected to each other.
You cannon off the bottom step as the last ork disappears down into a rectangular hole in the factory floor, firing its revolver as it does so, as you roll off your velocity, sparks flying from the cover fire, several Watchmen burst through the door firing at the trap-door.
‘I bloody knew it! I knew it! Otto seethes with frustration as he thunders across the factory floor.
‘Now watch it lads, you need a weapon which will pack a lot of punch to put one of these bastards down!’
‘You two’ point to two random watchmen ‘Search this building from top to bottom for any stragglers and check your fire ok? My fiancée might be still here.’
‘You’ I point to another watchman. ‘Find me a map of the sewage and tunnel systems of the area and ask your boss to work out blocking off escape routes’ ‘Let him know I’m following them on foot.’

‘The rest of you follow me!’
Leadership of 19

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Go down the hole, shotgun in hand and ready for trouble!
(Make a Ref Save and a Spot roll)
Ref of 17
Spot of 15
AS you shoot down the steps, you come to an abrupt halt flattening yourself against the wall as three bullets slam into you, striking you across the chest, the walls are made of yellowish brickwork, you wince as the rounds have penetrated even your iron hard hide.
As you attempt to peer around the corner into the corridor proper, further bullets ricochet off the brickwork forcing you and the Watchmen to take cover.
(3 HPs of damage)
I thought as much, Ow!

I poke my double barrel shotgun around the corner and spark off both barrels!
Firearms of 17
The passage is filled with hot air, bellows from the Watchman as they manoeuvre down the stone stairs, one being hit by enemy fire, your shotgun roars, filling the air with heat and buckshot.

‘Fer Fucks sake!’ I bellow! Blinking through the dust and debris. I break my shotgun and reload. Firing another two shots around the corner.
Firearms of 14
‘How did this go so wrong?’ I think to myself.

How far down is this staircase underground to the tunnel?
I’m thinking that I could estimate and blast a hole in the floor above in the factory and come down behind these orc things thus flanking them. Otherwise I’ll never get her back as these bastards have got too firm a position down there.

The staircase extends down some 20 feet, before hitting the stone floor!

Otto backs out, supporting the injured man on his shoulder and gesturing the rest of the watchmen back with him.
‘Right Lads, you get him sorted out’ he whispers, passing the casualty over.
‘One of you get down there and keep them interested. By no means are you to risk yourself ok? But I need time to sort out a surprise!’
Leadership of 13

I assess where I will need to make this second hole:
Engineering of 19
Intelligence roll of 17
The combination of your intellect, skills and headware allows you to identify an appropriate spot within 10 seconds.
Moving across to the point, a thin layer of stone slab work, with thicker earth underneath.
Below you can hear renewed gunfire, which rises to a blazing crescendo, you pray that Adrianna isn't caught in the crossfire.

You spin as a voice breaks your rapid train of thought
"We've closed down any potential sewer outlets on this level, the only problem is that they could descend, unfortunately I could have ten thousand men and still not cover every exit" says a reddened Vestrian.

You turn silently back to the point of detonation.
I draw my pistol, and using my headware I will trace a block shape out by putting bullet holes in the stonework on the floor of the fault line. I will then jury rig shotgun rounds to hi ex, placing the cartridges in the bullet holes (if needs be making them bigger to accommodate the cartridges. I would have placed them in away that I could use them as a shaped charge, which will cut away a perfect block without any undue over damage.

I will thin make a thin line of gunpowder from another cartridge making a fuse.
Concentration 12
Pistol 11
Jury Rig 26
Use Device 21

‘Take cover chaps! And move out of that hole Brampton, and all of you wait by the main opening for my signal to enter (I made the name for him mate, the one I ordered to keep them busy) I stand on the block I have made.

Light the fuse, it’s a quick action fuse, and the shaped charges work I should be able to stand on the block with the explosion around me without taking any hurt. The concrete block should fall in one piece, dropping right down upon them! I will slow my descent slightly with a snapshot
(Activate and Deactivate) Featherfall spell of 16.
‘Follow through the tunnel now chaps!’ I shout!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm

BOOM!! The charge ignites!!!

The explosion is quite large for a few shells; you leap descending with your feet first.
As you do so you hear the surge of Watchmen as they resume firing, Brampton joins the fray.
As you land almost cat-like you see the pocket of large dark figures huddled in a join in the corridor, your sensors filter out the various deafening noises, to identify the sounds of water below and footsteps.

So far your assailants have not noticed you.

I’ll scan the figures huddled in the corner, Is Arriana with them?
Spot of 16
Are the footsteps heading towards or away from me?
Your sensors reach into the darkness, analysing each figure by its mass.
Cursing you realise that she is not with them, that they must have proceeded on, while these provide a rear-guard.
(Make a spot roll)
Spot of 12
Sparks fly allow the wall, as one of the black orks appears from the darkness, it carries a long two bladed claw type weapon, which is held via a curved metal brace over the top of its hand, the two blades then extending out over the hand.
You step backwards, dodging the swing.
As it reveals itself, its some of its companions turn and begin to fire, although cautiously as not to hit their companion.

As the bastard completes the swing, I will move in front of it possibly swinging again and raise my arm to prevent it returning the swing. And with my other hand with the shotgun raise it up to the creature’s head offloading both barrels!
Melee of 15
Firearms of 12

If successful I will grab the orks body as it falls and use it as a shield from the gunfire.
What is my current strength?
(Roll 2D6 and roll 8D4)
2D6 = 10 8D4 = 17
Bringing your arm up, you catch the claw; it rakes your flesh but stops against adamantium.
The black ork looks a little surprised as you bring the shotgun to bear, as it goes off a second shot strikes it in the forehead, a revolver fired from the hole above.
The horrific mess collapses before you, as you charge forwards, another of the orks turns, however a large form, a great big watchman leaps upon him, you recognise this as Sergeant Taft, the remaining Watchmen have advanced blasting the vanguard leaving the way clear for you.

Aim a large kick at the one that Taft has accosted I run at full speed after the fleeing creatures.

Speed cast Tensors Floating disk, and throw my coat on it. This will act as a decoy and hopefully will appear like another person in the gloom. It will go before me 10 metres to the right.

Into the darkness!
Kick of 11 Sorcery of 13
You hurtle around the bend onto a stone bridge, spanning a deep man-made ravine, leading into the sewer depths.
A flight of stairs descends down the ravine wall; the remaining 10 black orks hurry down said stairs.
Bullets fly up through the darkness, striking the disk, as you realise that another smaller group have remained at the top of the stairs.
They then break from their position, firing and drawing their claws, the disk still shoots toward them in the darkness.

I make the disk drop to the ground so it appears like it has been hit. But then I will make the disk rise from the floor ghost like. Hopefully the Orks still think this is a person at this range and it will really shake them to see this rise again.

I will roar ‘Let the captive go, and you will all be spared!’ So it echoes around the sewers and won’t give away my position.
I use a deed point to boost my intimidation.
My intimidation without the bonus is 21.

‘If not, you will know the true meaning of a death without honour, screaming for mercy at my hands!’

‘DEATH WILL BE A RELEASE!’

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 pm

The black orks look around slightly panicked, a couple then start shooting randomly, the disk falls then rise and is immediately blown backwards by the hail of gunfire that ensues.

At that point one of them looks in your direction, muttering some form of curse it thunders forward, shortly followed by its companions, claws drawn.
Reactivate Tensors Floating disk again and send it hairing towards the knot of orks heading to my current position.
Over the years that have passed have I managed to learn Cantrip? (The use of minor Illusions)
I will move from my current position quickly and with Cantrip when the Disk gets in range of the Orks I will create a large flash of light which will blind and bugger up the Orks Night vision!
Sorcery of 16

‘Right Boys! Kill them all! No Mercy’ I shout to the Watchmen (who should be on their way now) I will use the Cantrip to give the Illusion of many footsteps coming their way! The blindness and panic of an attacking force should be very effective!

I will then rush over the bridge with my Floating disk in pursuit of my fiancée!

I look over my shoulder as I run. Are the rest of the Watchmen coming in?

You break left; some of the Watchmen break from the melee in the corridor, charging at the Black Orks.
You reach the stairs leading down the artificial canyon wall; the smell of sewage strikes you as does the shouts of people below.

What I mean is that I will charge past the blinded, dazed and panicked Orks on the stairs and continue down the passageway where the remainder have gone with Arriana. If it worked that is!

I look over the stairs at where the sounds of shouts are happening below.

Your sensory suite, picks up the audio and then tracks your eyes to the source, a small group of Black orks have bundled a wriggling form onto a flat-bottomed boat and are pushing off.

Quickly glancing back, you see that a vicious melee has broken out between the Watchmen and the Black Orks.
The orks are noticeably more adept in combat, to your horror you see Taft is caught in the guts by a black orks twin claws, he gasps as he's lifted off the ground.
The level of entropy has risen, casting something like a black mist across your vision.
The sounds of screams and the black orks laughing are almost unbearable.

As he stands torn between the events unfolding in front of him, Otto’s indecision, fear and rage come to the fore.

‘BASTARDS!!!!!’ He rages, getting to such a pitch that his voice is lost and a splash of blood jets from his mouth.
The tears of grief and frustration flow as his sword arm becomes as he does, a machine of death. At that moment he no longer knows how to care of fear and primal rage sets in.

He sets to the orks fighting the watchmen, steel flashing and teeth gouging. His shotgun in hand roaring for his now silent fury. His sword arm becomes the guillotine, rising and falling. Now beating a sickening tattoo on his enemies as the arterial spray cakes his face.

Once the red haze lifts, you see two remaining Watchmen staring at you in disbelief.
The orks lie in pools of blood, cut, torn and smashed by your rage.
Taft lies at your feet; short shallow gasps escape his mouth.
Otto dashes to the Watchmen and snatches a rifle off them, he then points at Taft as if to say help him.

Intimidation 17
He shoulders the rifle and takes aim at the fleeing orks in the boat down the sheer chasm. And as he does spits out a large gout of black blood over his shoulder.
Expend a deed point.
True Shot speed cast and he stacks two of the same spell. Sorcery of 23
The shots are: (If successful)
36
29
If I am successful with the shots, I will stabilise Taft. And gesture to the other two watchmen to go after the drifting boat.
Leadership of 13
They would have been headshots mate.
As the boat rounds the bend of the sewer channel, you fire, a circuit board effect runs across the rifle, the weapon reports twice, two Black Orks fall aside into the murk, the boat lists sideways, bumping off the channel wall.

Turning you bend down to Taft, the big half-ork grins, blood frothing out of the side of his mouth.
"Ggg gave em a good goin' over 'cough, hack' we did"
Taft retches, his body failing, 'damn this world you think', with some relatively simple Dragontech medical devices he would be stabilised and he would be well in a month, but not here!
"Go, get er" with that Taft lies still, his big head, a mix of ork and man gently rolling to one side.
I kneel down and kiss him on the forehead. ‘Gods bless you’ Otto says in his cracked voice

He stands, brushing away his tears. And makes his way to the boat, fast.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Motherfuckers! His mind screams at him as he powers down the steps.

As you arrive at the stone platform that forms the jetty, you almost run into the two Watchmen who had proceeded before you.
The pair of them have pulled the boat back in, a rope now secured upon the stern.
A figure stands in the boat, across his arms lies Arianna.

Your eyes narrow in suspicion, the boat bumps against the stone berth, and Zorranson steps from the boat, silently handing her to you, his light panama suit is covered in filth and blood, disturbingly his mouth, throat and hands are similarly covered.

"She will need bed rest doctor, but otherwise she seems unharmed"
With that he nods and moves past you, mounting the stairs.

Do I remember anything about the vampire incident in the mansion?
I will check her over for injuries.
Was this some form of delaying action on their part?
Why did they want Arriana?
Make an Int Roll & Medic Check
I
nt 26, Medic 17
There’s a nagging thought of recognition, but you can't place it.
Looking her up and down, she has concussion, several lacerations to her arms (look deliberate), a large bruise to her left cheek and some slight internal bruising (Which your scans reveal).

Zorranson turns "Possibly Doctor, but for what purpose I do not know, as for your wife!"
"That was a warning, people are beginning to fear you and how much you and I could cost them, and such people who were once decent folk have turned to dark forces"

Zorranson seems to reconsider his progress up the stairs
"Doctor I have several town houses here in Centrum, the least I can do is allow you the sole use of one, to convalesce and look after your beloved?"

I want out. But this bastard isn’t going to know it.
I nod, and gesture him to lead the way as I carry Amdea
How many of the watchmen are left? As I need to speak with them.
As you get to the top, you see Vestrian and around 10 watchmen remaining.
I walk over to Vestrian.

‘I am so sorry about Taft, he was a good and brave man’ Otto croaks ‘And thank you for your help finding Arianna. Can I ask one more great favour?’

Vestrian looks at his sergeant for a long moment.
"What can I do Doctor?"
‘Is there any way you could give me any information on Zorranson? What do you know of him?’

‘And is there any way you could offer me sanctuary for a few days?’

Conspiratorially Vestrian moves to one side with you
"Doctor this is the man who has just saved your wife, why are you so suspicious?"

‘Where did he just appear from for a start?’ He says with frustration.

"That I don't know Doctor, but we can thank small mercies that he did" Vestrian sags, clearly exhausted and then breathes out a long sigh.

‘I’ve got to get her to somewhere she can rest’ I say to Vestrian

‘I pray to god she hasn’t been raped’ Otto thinks to himself.

Zorranson’s townhouse is an idillic place, squeezed in between well to do buildings in the Inner City, with its own courtyard and walled in garden.
Understanding your suspicion, Vestrian has had a junior detective accompany you, while Zorranson has travelled to another of his dwellings.

Over the next few days you are able to conduct a detailed medical examination, relief washes over you, as she has not been violated in that way, unusual for orks you conclude.
Your bedside vigil watches as her physical injuries begin to heal, however a fever has swept over her, one that nothing you've tried has lessened its effects, in fact it seems to be getting stronger.
Your arcane senses are telling you that something has infected her.

Her breathing gets shallower and Amdea gets greyer in complexion.
How did I get back onto the world? And how am I to get off it?
As I feel that the only way I can help Amdea is to get some higher tech medicine.

I will conduct intensive blood samples. Also I will conduct tests to see if she seems more susceptible to certain environments/conditions. Such as exposure to sunlight, garlic!
I need to get her off this rock!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:41 pm

The Curse.

Colonel Casin Gadus took his responsibilities as senior liaison officer to Centrum city very seriously.

A veteran of 40 years in the Legions and Qesemet Diplomatic Corps, at the age of sixty eight he looked in his early forties.
The office was plush, polished hazel wood panelling, new wallpaper above the panelling with earthy tones and an almost druidic pattern; it seemed that Lord Ivelliian's outlook had indeed changed.
The First Lord of Commerce sat behind his desk, near the window.

"She is a native Gothician, as such we have no pretense to take her off-world, its forbidden under the charter! Before you start on its a life worth saving Doctor, I am thinking of saving lives, my duty is to ensure that factions within the Empire have no opportunity to sequest Gothica, an event that would lead to a great deal of life loss" The Colonel paced like some impatient cat, Ivelliian sat his hands steepled before his face.

You sit quietly the rage and anger of this bullshit situation flowing through you.
The blood tests had confirmed that Adrianna wasn't suffering from vampirism, instead some dire plague visited upon her by the Black orks, the mana trace patterns running around her feverish body looked coincidentally close to the entropic patterns of the orks.

"In reality Doctor, you shouldn't be within a thousand light years of Gothica, after the stunt you and your companions pulled, if the ISPD knew you were here you'd be in deep level interrogation’

Distantly you hear yourself mutter "Fuck the ISPD"

"This is getting us nowhere" interrupts Ivelliian, "Colonel, the Empire has lifted Gothician dignitaries into orbit, for medical purposes"

"She's a telegraph operator from Goodlund for Khelorns sake"

"Thats Goodland" interjects Ivelliian, before you can react "And what’s more she is a hero of the place, therefore a dignitary, what if I were to have her ordained as a lady of the Empire and give her some prominent position"

The Colonel glares at the First Lord "I think your overstepping the mark, Ivelliian"

"Well one of the virtues of being First Lord is the right to overstep the mark Colonel!" he replies

The ship lifted off the floating island some 50 miles due east of Centrum, the island floated at thin level altitude.
Its stealth cloak activated and began to cycle, despite its steam level tech, the Empire was always aware that some freak electrical invention could pick up one of their shuttles.
The flight was smooth, in less than thirty minutes the ship had left Gothica's orbit and approached Taol, Gothica's largest moon, in reality the moon had only been present in orbit for 300 years, an asteroid dragged into orbit to provide a discreet base for the Court.

Now encapsulated in an enviro-pod Adriana’s condition had stabilised.
You were less than happy that you had had to submit to Imperial assistance, you had wanted to take her to your ship docked with the High Tower Station, however the Colonel had insisted that the only way she was to leave the planet was under sedation and in an Imperial ship.

The bio-doctors worked for several hours, before the chief of Bio-Chem a robot called 'Abrimân' briefed you.

"She is not afflicted with a disease or malady, instead with what looks like a curse. I have consulted with the arcane specialists and this is what needs to be done"

Pausing he continues;
"The source of the source of the curse seems to be blood, specific blood, we need a sample of this blood to individualise a Ritual capable of negating this effect, we have stabilised the patient to a point where the curse will progress no further, but without this ritual she will have to remain in stasis indefinitely"

Otto rubs his weary eyes as he sits in the plush armchair.

‘If there is anyway I can repay you for your help and kindness for this woman I will heartily help in any way’.
He stands up stiffly, his hoarse voice almost bestial.

‘If needs be gentlemen, there is no reason why Arriana should need to be woken if your good graces would take her off world. I propose that she is kept in a medically induced coma, and once the treatment is completed that she is returned to Gothica none the wiser for the interplanetary journey. And I will be out of your hair for good also, and I will not return.’

I have no choice but to leave you here my dear, the adventure has become sour, as I feared it might. He thinks to himself as he tries to keep his emotions in check before the dignitaries.

The events of the past day seemed like a whirlwind, with a couple of hours a shuttle had returned you to the surface and then via Steampunk means back to Centrum.

You stayed the night at Ivelliian's manor on the outskirts, the house was magnificent a combination of Victoriana finery surprisingly mixed with old worldly elven design, you slept solidly for a day and a half, before awakening.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Ivelliian's Cog Butler Ivellilos, awoke you in the sunny early afternoon, handing you telegram upon a silver plate.

To: Dr T Spindle
From: Greythorpe and Associates
Subject: Lunch 12am Tomorrow.
Venue: The Thorn and Ivy Resturant, 4 Verne Avenue.


As one of a handful of resident Gothicians with both Imperial knowledge and clearance Lord Ivallian, stood beside Colonel Gadus.
Gadus like 5 generations before him was a career soldier, hailing from The Silver Legion, which was only fitting as the Siridor System sat within House Sarava space.
Both men watched the shuttle's ion shields re-aligned for atmospheric re-entry, before the ship vanished from the visual spectrum.
Gadus had replaced Agent Mirander after the Blood Killings in Centrum City, with the Mind Flayers presence being discovered a more senior military officer had been placed as liaison.

"Why Ivallian?" Gadus had wanted to ask the question for the past 3 days, but the tall half-elf hadn't been receptive until now.

"Why did you join the Legions Colonel?" replied the Lord

"Duty, family honour, the thrill of accomplishment and battle" he replied

"Fighting the good fight perhaps" Ivallian left that hanging between them for a while "Just sometimes Gadus we are faced with the opportunity to do something good, to improve someone’s lot, and more often than not we choose to ignore the opportunity, because of rules and regulations"

"You’re doing this to clear your conscience,” replied the Colonel cautiously
"Otto Von Weirdigan and his ernstwhilst companions caused havoc on Gothica a year ago, but they also did some good, just little bits here and there, stopped a series of murders, saved an insignificant town from destruction, need I go on"
Another long silence descended between them.

"This never leaves this room,” said the Colonel finally as he stepped through a bulkhead door.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 pm

The Quest.

The Ivy & Thorn restaurant is a plush place, mostly light stone accented by cherry wood.
The establishment is set on three layers, with what appear to be the most affluent on the uppermost level.

An extremely well groomed man in Victoriana suit finery, salt and pepper hair, mutton chop side burns and well-groomed white beard, several serious looking men sit on adjacent tables.

He stands “Dr Spindle, good of you to come, sorry to hear of recent events”
You both sit, after ordering wine he continues with small talk.
Sense motive of 19
'Is this guy taking the piss?' Otto thinks.
Smiling in a disarming way he places his hand in the revolver in his jacket pocket.................................

Your certainly not comfortable at the moment, his enquiry seems sincere, but his tone is insincere.

“So I understand your work has suffered a significant set back, in addition to your personal problems,” he quietly states, “Had you considered that your current employer may not be able to offer you’re the means or protection to complete the work!”

'I think you had best show more tact which befits a gentleman of your stature, before I put you down a peg or two' Otto says calmly but the menace and threat is clearly implied.
Intimidation of 26 a crit!

'What are you offering?' Otto asks bluntly. 'As the cost has recently sky rocketed! There are a few more of my friends whose wives will be in mourning tonight for a long time. And its people like you who are the cause of it!'
'Don't try my patience; believe me when I say that it is near breaking point as it is!'
Otto grits his teeth.................

Greythorpes veneer seems to slip, for a moment he has to compose himself.
Taking a sip of wine he finally replies
"I trust your wife will make a full recovery!"

'Why should you give a damn?' Otto hunches over the table towards him. 'Make your offer, or I bid you good day sir!'
Intimidation of 17
(Make a Spot Check and Will Save):
Spot of 16, Will of 25
The tension begins to build to a dangerous level, too such an extent that the occupants of other tables begin to look.
Your sensors kick up giving you a sweep of the room, your arcane senses begin to extend, enhancing your sixth dimensional awareness.
As it does an effect washes over you, your own mental barriers slamming shut, pushing the effect away.
The invoker of such an effect pays the price, as a hammer blow of mystical force is brought down by Gothica, knocking the man out cold in his chair.
Another man, a slight man, stands, his body belying poise to spring if necessary.
Your sensors detect some form of distortion around the man, particularly his face.

Otto draws his revolver
ref of 18
and quickly put the pistol to Greythorpes head.
'Any more funny business from you sunshine and you'll be scooping your bosses brains up from your oxtail soup' Otto barks to the slight man.

Otto stands up and walks around the back of Greythorpe so he can keep an eye on the slight man.
Spot of 14, is this guy masking what he truly is?

'You!' He shouts at the slight man 'Help your fainting friend off the floor! And no smart ideas savvy?'

The restaurant freezes, a situation that its posh patrons could never conceive of has occurred. The slight man stops, his face full of quiet menace, momentarily his eyes seem to glow a pale red.
"Doctor" rasps Greythorpe "What are you doing?"

The slight man seems to be analysing the situation, decided what is best, before he backs up to the unconscious man and prods him.
Black caped Inner City Watchmen move into the establishment, your eyes are filled with fury, your trigger finger tightens.

It is then that a tall elf in a long tailored coat, steps between you and the Watchmen.
Another figure barges his way through the tables at the back of the restaurant, the Watchmen move to intercept him, the patrons look in dismissive disgust at the arrival.
"Doc" says Tailor "This ain't gona do any good, fink of yer lady"
The elf speaks finally "Doctor, I do not represent a company, but the Half-ork speaks sensibly, no good can come of this and it will not help your wife! Now lower the gun!"

With a moment’s hesitation, I lower the gun.
(I felt like Indiana Jones when he meets Belach in Cairo after he thinks Marion is dead! Ha ha!)


'Thank god the watchman intervened' Otto thinks to himself.

'These blackguards are behind the loss of your comrades! This bastard was mocking their memories with his toadies leering from the other table' he gestures to the table with the slight man and his unconscious oppo on the floor (stealthily flicking him the finger as I do!)

"Doctor, this way" says the elf, as he gently guides you away from Greythorpe.
The slight man steps in front of the elf, a long moment passes between them, your enhanced hearing picks up the slight man whispering
"You have no idea what you’re dealing with!"
"Really" replies the elf "On the contrary I think you’re out of your depth"
With that he pushes past the slight individual, the Watchmen part making no attempt to stop you.
Greythorpe stands "This isn't finished doctor, no one insults me and" thwack, the businessman is floored by Tailor

'Be thankful you prick' I shout to Greythorpe. 'I would have given you a lead lobotomy!'

'And as for you' Looking at the slight man 'I know who I'm dealing with, thieves and cowards!'

I get in the carriage very reluctantly!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:53 pm

The carriage moves swiftly into the midday, the buildings of the inner city give way to the outer city, passing through the wall.
The elf sits in silence only responding if you speak to him.
He's typically tall for an elf, a harder face than the norm, battle hardened, and the most striking feature is shoulder length flaming red hair, his eyes so dark they appear black.

Sense motive of 18 Can I read this elf’s mannerisms? Does he mean me harm?

His motives seem concealed from you, if he notices your actions he doesn't betray the fact.
The carriage moves slowly around the buildings, pulling up outside a ramshackle building.
He silently steps out and waits quietly for you, once you have disembarked, he leads you into the building.
Stepping through the run down empty rooms, you come into a large back room, once a kitchen or scullery.
Several figures stand around a large table.

Vestrian steps out of the gloom, accompanied by Zorranson.

"Otto" says the Inspector "Differences aside, let’s get on and save Adrianna and avenge Taft!" With a flurry of movement the collected party assemble around the table.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 01, 2012 9:57 pm

The assembled group gather around the table, there are five in total other than yourself and the red haired elf.
Those that you know are the Inspector and Zorranson, joining you are another elf, this one has grey skin, his hair wispy and thin, a haunted look about him, the next is a small gnome woman, ancient in appearance, her skin so tight and taunt to her face she appears like a mummy, finally a human, his face weather hardened, balding, a thick moustache.

Zorranson lays a map out upon the table, an old map.
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Doctor Spindle, we owe him an enormous debt, that said what he seeks in is Scarathera, this mission is at the very least extremely perilous, should any of you wish to walk away now then do so!"
No one moves

"Very well" continues Zorranson "Dr the elf to your left is Freyan a native of Scarathera, our shorter companion is Tabitha Wyst a mystic"
Gesturing to the human "This is captain Threnshin, who is intimately knowledgeable of the Northern Straits, finally the gentleman beside you is?"
"My name is 'Elissil Montant' I represent Lord Ivallian in this matter"

Zorranson continues, "Inspector please continue"
Vestrian looks around at the assembled party, "Dr Spindle has to find some blood from a creature that has cursed his wife, according to the research we have conducted so far, these Black Orks who held Adrianna originated from the islands of Scarathera"
The wizened gnome continues, "We have concluded that the blood required does indeed hail from the islands"
"So" continues Zorranson "Captain Threnshin is here to get us to the islands, while Freyan is here to give us the local knowledge we need"
Looking around the table you see at the least trepidation and more likely fear in their faces, all except Freyan.

'Ladies and Gentlemen' Otto inclines his head and speaks softly.
'I think from the looks on your faces I would very much like to know more about these Islands of which you speak' A thin lipped smile crosses his lips. As he folds his arms expectantly.
Sense motive of 17.
The group is silent for a moment, waiting for one of them to speak first.

Finally Zorranson speaks "Many centuries ago, dwarves, elves and man stopped fighting each other, instead they carved a mighty empire and in the process drove away anything monstrous"
"In the case of monsters such as orks and giants they were driven south, into the badlands"
"However creatures of the night were given no quarter, when the empires armies stopped hunting them the church didn't, numerous crusades took place, until the few surviving creatures fled north, to the harsh uninviting islands of Scarathera"
"There they have been a plague upon the existing inhabitants, virtually taking over the islands, shrouding them in eternal twilight"
"The route there is perilous, so doctor you can probably understand anyone’s reticence about visiting Scarathera!"

'Ah! I see!' Tapping the table.

'Well, Ladies and Gentlemen. All I need is a map and a little bit of advice and a workshop. I don't want anyone else on this dare I say it 'Quest'. Believe me when I say I want no-one to go with me!'

A great deal of murmuring descends upon the table.
"Doctor!" exclaims Zorranson "You will surely die"

Vestrian looks defeated and sits down resigns "Bloody fool has a chance at redemption and wishes to commit suicide"
The somewhat touching and angry debate goes on around you, until the grey skinned elf steps forward.
He looks straight into your eyes, regards you for a long moment, a stare that silences the group.
His voice is like a breeze through a graveyard, a whisper that rouses the dead.

"Captain Threnshin will take you and I to the islands" says Freyan, if you do not want me to travel with you I will follow at a distance, those are the terms Doctor, no one alive is better at navigating the 'Straits' and you will not survive the night without a guide"
His tone is very final.

'I agree with what you are asking Freyan. And I'll be more than happy to have you aboard with me'. Otto smiles.

'I think this elf is probably not up his own arse like a certain horned individual I know!' Otto thinks.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Captain Threnshin's boat is a large sloop, low to the water, with what appear to be reinforced sides to its hull, under tarps and rope is mounted what appears to be a five or six pound gun on the fore deck.

The crew men are a dour lot, hard men with little to say, almost certainly gallows humour would be the preferred comedy aboard.
Mounted on spring mounted racks lining the railing are large harpoons, your sensors run scans along the length of the merciless looking weapons, the analysis complete revealing that the heads are silvered.

"Spindle" bellows Threnshin above the racket of rigging being braced, tack and pulleys being prepared and the twin steam turbines getting their steam up.
You see Freyan amid some of the crewmen, the elf although silent seems to be accepted aboard the vessel.

"Spindle" repeats the captain, tearing yourself away from your observation you climb the ironwood ladder into the wheelhouse, immediately a tin cup is shoved into your hand.
The smell of a potent coffee like brew strikes you, your sensors register the strong spirit concealed within.
Looking out of the rear portholes of the wheelhouse, you see more crewmen stowing and securing large fishing nets.

"They won't be using them on this trip you surmise.
The racket is then pierced by the howling whistle of the steam turbines and the boat pushes off.

'Mind if I muck in and help Captain? I'm a dab hand with the engines!' Otto asks. He walks out of the boathouse and he passes over some vittles to a deck hand for storage in the hold. The crew work methodically and efficiently, slipping the ropes and stowing them and checking the spare sails in the event that the engine becomes faulty.

The sloop cuts through the waters of a river called the 'Menendrun', houses shrouded in twilight shadows look eerie, as if the northern provinces of Adracia are somewhat darker than the south 'Ah to be in Goodland' you think.
Boats move past you silently, silent nods are exchanged as if their occupants know your destination, the more Northerly you travel the choppier the waters.

"Not a problem, keep yer mind off the challenges ahead" replies the captain, without looking up from his charts.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 pm

The door of the cabin opens, allowing a cold wind to creep in, fighting with the candles, a battle that in this case fire wins.
In moves a halfling; he is dressed in a dark shabby suit.

"Ah Tophrus" the captain corrects himself "My apologies, Father Tophrus!"
"Theo, this possibly is the halfer who may aid your salvation"

'How dya do Father!' I offer him my hand.
They need a bloody priest? Otto thinks. It looks like this place isn't for patsys!
'What brings you on the excursion?'

The priest smiles "Well you do, Doctor Spindle, I shall do what I can to help you and protect you from evil, for Skarathera is indeed an evil place!"
"Damn bird" retorts the Captain, as a mangy black parrot like bird hops off the charts table, dragging what looks like a piece of beef jerky.
"Shove it up yer ass" replies the parrot.

'What the beef jerky?' Otto says. 'Some buggers got to eat that!'

'What can we expect in Skarathera Father?' as Otto peers with interest at the parrot.

"Evil" replies the priest solemnly

"All sorts of shit Theo" interjects the captain "You see as Freyan said, in the early days of the Empire they drove all the goblins and ghouls out of the perfect kingdom, they had to go somewhere, the nastiest things like the living dead, diabolists that sort of deep evil ended up in Skarathera"
"Load of bollocks" interjects the parrot

'No I think I would go with what the fellas say Mr parrot!' Otto says jokingly.

'I want to create some form of ornithopter to act as a scout craft, can I look through your bits and pieces and see what I can come up with Cap'n? It will give us an edge!'
'Father I need you to be able to bless me; in a way it will benefit us all. Bless these bracers' I hold out my arms with the mechanical glyphs on them.

"Help yerself, jus don't get in the crews way"
The priest invites you to his quarters, entering the tiny cabin, which is perfectly comfortable for him but not so for you, you notice that the room is a small shrine to the chief deity of Gothica 'The Great Maker".
Anointing his symbols, the priest blesses some red wine and pours that upon your braciers.

"We shall do this daily Doctor so that the Makers blessings are with you always"

Thanking the priest you excuse yourself and make your ways downstairs to the bottom deck and the engine room.

I'll make a point of doing the daily ritual on my arms. Otto thinks as he scans the engines with an expert eye. Is there any way I can improve it? If possible I will remove a small engine from the system (with the Captains permission) that will not be missed, as I will compensate for it by transferring the load to the upgraded system.
Mechanics if 26

I'll look around for bits to make an ornithopter.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm

So you want to take a chunk otta my engine, while its still workin’'?" replies Threnshin to your idea "Bloody madness" the captain stands in a somewhat stunned state, awaiting an explanation.

Your search has been fairly fruitful; there are enough long lengths of spare metal, timber and canvass to assemble a one man ornithopter, something akin to a propelled glider.

'I can assure you Captain that the ship will operate 10 times more efficient with the modifications I'm going to make! Also this vehicle I plan to assemble will give us quite an edge if we need to get quickly in and out of the area. And I am sure we don't want to hang around for longer than we have to!' Otto exclaims.
Diplomacy of 18
Threnshin regards you for a while, "Very well Doc but the slightest glitch and your confined to your cabin!"

'Aye Sir!' Otto salutes with a grin.

Lets get to work.
Engineering of 35, Mechanics of 23
As much as you disliked your involvement with the Liveship, it gave you most of all a lot.
Firstly it gave you a reason to respect Gothica in the sense of your commitment to Goodland and Arianna; secondly your exposure to the ship enhanced your already formidable knowledge base.

It took a week to separate the necessary parts for your operation, the time largely due to having to avoid interrupting the voyage and secondly dodging the somewhat interested but understandably territorial stoker.

A remaining two weeks of braving the almost black spray of the Northern Reach (The north sea of Gothica), the Ornithopter tied down, using a bizarre setaline torch made of super-pressurised steam mixed with a few Fire and Electrical formula, ensured that at least the craft was welded together not riveted.

Rivets the very thought makes you shudder.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 pm

The Northern Reaches is a grim sea, thick thunder clouds seems to blanket the entire sea, meaning that everything is in perpetual grey, as a consequence the sea appears black, as if sailing upon oil, because of the thunderheads there is constantly a lashing wind.

You thank your freefall training, braving 3 gees in space combat makes a person somewhat immune to seasickness.

On the 22nd day of the voyage, the sea has become even choppier, swells breaking around jagged teeth of rock that erupt from the black waters.
Freyan joins you at the port railing, cloak wrapped around him.
"We're close, those are the beginning of the 'Dragons Narrows' " he looks out at the rocks, his pale eyes almost like moonlight, there is something haunting about Freyan, you conclude.

'Dragons Narrows, that sounds comforting!' As Otto wipes some of the salt spray from his face. 'What can we expect Freyan?'

The ship undulates between large waves, rising up and then rushing down sea walls of 20 to 30 feet. 'Thank god these waves aren't breaking yet!' He says.

Freyan ponders for a while.
"The narrows line the route into the first islands of Skarathera, however they are inhabited by beasts of the sea, huge eels and small kraken"
As if signifying the task ahead and Freyan's words, the crewmen begin to break out weapons, others begin to douse the rails and the outer hull with what appears to be grease, fires are stoked in sealed braziers that are clamped via latches to the centre of the deck.
A number of the bigger crewmen start to attach themselves to lines running from a pulley system, running along the rigging, and then dismiss the younger crewmen to below-decks.
Max I would like to put it to the captain how I could create a burnable liquid fuel which would not damage the timbers of the ship. In which the fires would burn out and would only damage people or creatures that come into contact with it. I would douse all of the liquid on the guardrails etc of the ship thus cutting off possible access onboard from the ocean.
Sounds like an attempt at Alchemy, does he have it, and I know he has chemistry.
Not Alchemy. But Alchemy was just really the olde world way of saying Chemistry!
Does that wash? ha ha ha!
Okay I'll buy it, make a Research and Chemistry test.
18 Research, 15 Chemistry
You manage to distil a potent incendiary, but it will burn wood and most materials as successfully as flesh and bone.

Ah bugger! I will also rig some traps using the ships rigging and ropes. I will let the crew know where they are. All they do is they will drag the captured man/creature harmlessly into the air on the mainsail.
Engineering of 26
You succeed, the ship heads into the fog, the crewmen put poles over the rails to push off from the teeth like rocks.
An aura of grim determination and fear settles over the boat.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 pm

'Chins up lads!' Otto stands on a bollard.

Leadership of 25
Boredom settles in as the boat slowly picks its way through the channels.
Eventually unable to shake fatigue off, you retire to sleep, knowing that things will probably kick off when you settle.
Your instincts are entirely correct; you awaken, in a haze.
The ship lurches violently, again your freefall training stops any attempt by your stomach to even consider seasickness.

Scrambling through the halls, the boat rolls again, you scramble up the ladder onto the deck, sea spray hits you in a wall of fog.
A bell rings distantly, vague shapes of people lurching around the deck.
Through the cloud of stinging spray, you can see pitch black tentacles grappling with the crews!
Make a Search/Sensors roll and Initiative Check
Search of 18, Initiative of 18
Your headware filters out the roar of the sea, which disguises the shouts of men.
Large harpoons are speared into the tentacles; fires are blazing, oil poured upon the oceanic attacker.
In an odd sense of calm your headware identifies a change in orientation for the vessel, something wooden splits.
The shouts intensify, turning you see a figure, then another come up over the side.
I will come to the assumption we are being boarded! I will quickly grab one of my Greek fire bombs (holding the fuse in my teeth so the bomb dangles there, I will turn around and rush as the two persons/creatures with a double clothesline that will hopefully knock them overboard.
(Initiative of 22 a crit! Melee Roll of 23)
I will then if successful, light the fire bomb and throw it at the attacking boat or ship.
Speeding across the slick deck, you catch the two figures a little unawares, your dense cybernetic arms smashing into them and hurling them from the deck, your scanners now running on full capacity with your headware CPU diverting additional memory to compensate for the weather conditions.
Your scan detects no sign of another ship, but it does sense other figures in the water and upon the rocks.
(Make a Dex roll and a Ref Save)
(Dex roll of 16, Ref of 19)
I jury rig the firebomb fuse to ignite very quickly so as I drop it over the side it will explode just before it hits the water.
(Use device of 28)

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 pm

You pitch against the railing, only the hardwired instincts ground into you over the last year and your circuitry, stop you going over.
Igniting the fuse, you hurl it into the water, a circular ring of fire erupts forcing you back, as humanoid figures wither and blacken in the turbulent waves.

Reacting to a presence behind you, Freyan ducks as your cyber arms shoot round in a fatal swing.
"Doctor, the captain is waiting"
Hurrying along the bridge, the ship continues to roll in the frenzied sea, as you clamber up the wooden ladder into the bridge.
The windows are shattered, salty wind borne spray flies around the room like insane elementals, albeit small ones.

Captain Threnshin looks moody, a layer of spray and sweat covers his face.
"We're holed in the portside hull, nothing we can't repair, but we're sitting ducks"
He turns "Time to test your flying machine Doc, take Freyan and fly on, once we've beaten off these fishy bastards and got her shipshape we'll follow"
Threnshin stares at you solemnly "That’s a promise!"

Excellent!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 pm

I’m going to have to sit down and write out my character sheet again with all of the amendments. I’ll show you the original and the updated one so you can see I haven’t been cheating! I will also have to confirm my characters levels in what too as I haven’t got a copy of it here!
What do you mean by formulas mate? Sorcery?
‘You had better Captain’ Otto winces as the spray of a large wave that swept through the broken window momentarily blinds him.
‘Not for my sake, but I would personally return here and exterminate these fucking half fish if you and your lads come a cropper!’ Otto slams his fist on the waterlogged table.

‘That’s a promise from me! Good luck Captain’ Otto slaps him on the back and turns and rapidly makes his way to the ornithopter stowage on the main deck.
‘Hurry up Freyan!’ He calls over his shoulder. ‘They’ll be closed in a moment!’

"We will" Threnshin says finally
Moving down the steps onto the swaying deck, the two of you unstrap the lines holding the ornithopter.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Thu May 10, 2012 9:20 pm

As Freyan finishes you clamber aboard, starting the spring loaded engines, the props roar into life.
Freyan with predatory agility runs up the port wing, as you release the clamp holding the launch line.
The clockwork winder, it unwinds and in doing so tightens the line, bracing yourselves you await the immense jerk, which comes in an almighty rush.
Exhilaration strikes you as the ornithopter rockets forward; if Freyan is scared his stoic face betrays nothing.
(Make a Pilot roll)


The ornithopter will look like a cross between a dragonfly (having four large wings) and a bumblebee. (As it has a rounded cockpit area for the two of us the seating is made so the passenger and pilot can swivel around like the test machines for the astronauts that allows us to manoeuvre inverted etc!).
I will have created a safe stowage for 10 more of my Greek fire bombs that can be dropped through a simple bomb bay mechanism! Tally Ho!
It may be some time until you receive this as the email system onboard is on the fritz!
A sense of exhilaration rushes through you, as your makeshift aircraft soars into the sky.
The black sea swells below you, a white crust breaking on top of the water, jagged teeth of rock jut from the turbulent waters.
The ocean seems to seethe with rage, at your escape.

Through the bleak cloud and fog, a dull black island, almost entirely of stone looms ahead.
(Pilot roll of 23)
‘Lets do it! Yeeehahhh!’ As the thopter shoots off!
‘Where the fuck do we need to go Thrush?’ (His new pet name for him!) Otto roars over the howling wind and deafening boom of the waves, the rain is slowly soaking both of the journeymen to the skin.
(Pilot roll of 27)
He still has quite a job in keeping the thopter on its present course.
Freyan merely looks on, as the ornithopter banks in toward the island.
"Put down on that lower stone ledge" the gray elf oddly whispers over the howl of the wind.
The craft shakes and bucks like an angry mustang, as you fight to bring the crafts altitude down, its actually harder to put down than up, with turbulent winds roaring under the metal dragonfly wings.
‘Whoa! Steady girl, steady!’ Otto wrestles with the controls, trying his hardest to prevent the squalls from tearing the wings of Betsy (his name for the ornithopter) to shreds.
(Pilot of 25)

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Thu May 10, 2012 9:23 pm

The ornithopter swings, pitching wildly from side to side.
Your face stings from speeding spray, Freyan tightens his grip, as the craft drives down through the rain.
The black shape of the stone ledge looms from the darkness.
(Make a Strength and Luck Roll)
(Strength 13, Luck of 12)
Your cybernetic arms brace, the control stick as Betty bucks in the torrent.
The craft pitches portside and swings into a roll, you explode through the cloudbank racing across a beach made of entirely of black and white pebbles, as if the world has suddenly turned monotone.

Betty struggles to stay aloft, until you finally bring her nose down, into an eruption of pebbles, sand and twisted metal.
You are lurched viciously from left to right, thanking the Creator for your physical enhancements, your brain fails to keep track of the chaotic motion, so your headware kicks in, oddly separate analysing Bettys tumbling, as if viewing a sim.

Freyan leaps, vaulting his way from the murderous spin, across the beach, your HW tracks him landing awkwardly, as if bouncing, slamming down on his chest, he struggles to get up.
Finally Betty stops, as if the fight has gone.
(18 points of damage also make a Freefall Roll)
‘Fuck!’
(Freefall of 11)
Your bulk keeps you in your leather bucket seat; Betty’s nose and controls are severely mashed.
You immediately vomit, something that you haven’t done in years.
Freyan still lies still upon the black pebbles, spray lashes over the beach as if it were under assault.
Despite reinforced skin and adamantium bones, you ache like hell.

Freyan must be in a bad way then. Otto thinks. I unbuckle myself from the machine and rush over to him.
As you clamber out, your body misleads you, thinking that you are okay you start to run and fall flat on your face, as your legs give out.

Giving yourself a minute, the feeling returns, hauling yourself up you get to Freyan.
For a while the grey skinned elf, lies still, and then moans, long minutes pass as he fights to wake up, finally his eyes open to slits.

Breathing a sigh of relief, you sit back amidst the spray and rain; the adrenalin seems to seep out of you.
After some 10 minutes Freyan, gingerly pushes himself up to a sitting position, he immediately knocks back some form of draught.

Your headware chirps, sensors cutting through the rain, something approaches from above!

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Thu May 10, 2012 9:26 pm

‘Freyan MOVE!’ Otto shouts as he scatters to find some cover.
The elf stumbles, dragging himself up the sloped beach, you scramble to follow him, heading for the rocks and caves at the back.
(Make a Dex Roll)
(Dex of 16)
Freyan makes it to the wall, however you are not so fortunate.
Something big hits you at speed; you are lifting and sent rolling along the beach, some 30 feet before you stop.
There is a guttural mixture of growl and screech as a huge black shape wings its way up into the fog filled sky and turns for another pass.
(8 Points of damage)
(Fuck! Speaking of dragons!)
Max, I’m going to get to Betsy making enough noise and movement to draw the ‘creature’ to me. If it makes another strike at me I will be ready to dodge/sidestep it.

My plan is to detonate Betsy with it in the blast if I can manage it! It means we have no transport but I think the thing is buggered anyway. What was my assessment of the damage to Betsy?
(Make a Use Device, Sabotage Roll and Ref Save)
(Use Device 28, Sabotage of 30, Reflex of 17)
The reptilian form breaches the fog bank, talons extended.
Placing one of your cocktails within the mechanism, you twist and pull wires and levers.
Turning, a flash illuminates the gloom, pebbles form a cloud spraying the creature.
It lifts momentarily distracted, then bears down.
The bomb is in motion, readying yourself you move to the side a fraction too late, its talons sinking into your shoulder, tearing the cloth from it and spinning you sideways.

Betsy whines, her innards tightening and simultaneously unravelling.
Rolling into the shale, you try to bury yourself into it as the craft detonates.
(20 points of damage from beast and bomb)
Ow! I’m in a bad way! I have taken 46 points and have 23 left at the mo.
What has happened to the dragon?

Grimacing in pain, you right yourself, the dragon lies some 50 or so feet along the beach, it growls in pain.

A fell creature indeed, not a shred of majesty about it, rank pieces of feather or skin hang from its sinewy body, one of its wings is completely gone, and its has huge rents in its side.
‘OY!’ Otto roars at the dragon as he totters upright and falls to the wet shingle with a crash again.

‘CAN YOU UNDERSTAND ME YOU BASTARD?’
He draws his Gucci pistol…
The creature lumbers to its feet, turning its fell eyes gleam with hatred, pain and hunger.
It bellows, a noise that becomes ear splitting as it merges with the sea spray.
It lowers its head, opens its mouth and charges.

30 feet from you, it bucks sideways as the thumping noise of a high velocity sub-machine gun tears into it, two more points of fire erupt pinning the beast.
It lumbers forward, finally coming to a halt as something tears into its head and blows it off, in a small explosion.

You slump to your knees, pain coursing through you, turning you see three figures converge and approach.
Digitally you hear "Don't worry Otto, we're friends"

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Thu May 10, 2012 9:30 pm

A figure steps up to you, while a larger figure you identify as the half-ork Tailor moves past you to Freyan.
The third figure causes you to growl, Zorranson.

The first figure, puts down his hi-tech modern hi-vel smg, and removes the knight like helmet and facemask.
"Hello Otto, Lieutenant Xavier Tiley of the Celestial Guard Auxiliary, here to help"

‘Oh just peachy!’ Otto thinks as he sits down amongst the rubble in obvious pain and confusion.
‘What the fuck are you all doing here?’ He asks wearily, his obvious anger at the presence of Zorranson sated by his pain and fatigue.
Tailor makes Freyan comfortable, while Zorranson begins to establish a camp nestled against the rock, very rapidly a large tent is erected.

"Your friends and companions were concerned, but matters drew them away"
"Celeres sent me" with that he produces a modern day med kit and sets to work.

As the evening gloom settles in, the tent seems to blend in with the cliffs, and the small group retreats inside the tent.
‘What are you pricks doing with this tech?’ Otto enquires with interest at all the equipment, rubbing his eyes and yawning from his blackened shingle seat.

"Well Celeres figured you were making such an arse of this mission you needed some help, plus I remember the stories of Scarathera from my childhood and none of them were good"
"This lot think I'm some Centrum City agent with fancy machines so don't burst the bubble, if you want me to go and leave you to fend for yourselves then fine!!"

It occurs to you that Tiley seems a lot more worldly these days; going into the Empire has obviously ruined the man.

‘I needn’t remind you that it was you personally that buggered up more than one mission in these last 10 years, in fact everyone you took part in if I can remember!’

‘I’m surprised they trust you with such fancy equipment, are you shacked up with the supply clerk in Centrum City now? I heard that he was a brown hatter!’

"If you call being rescued buggering up a mission, hmmm"

"I hadn't expected flowers Otto, but shittiness is not becoming"
"I'm a member of the Celestial Guard now Otto, Celeres pulled some strings for me to be sent to help you, once he found out what was happening"

Tiley goes on
"After the Live-Ship, I knew I could never go back, if the Empire had found out about me they would have ordered me neutralised, to protect Gothica's interests"
"So Celeres spirited me away, hid me in the order, then signed me up as an auxiliary pilot, after a year as a member of the Guard I automatically become a citizen of the empire and no longer liable for neutralising"

"However I'm not a citizen yet, which means I'm risking a lot by coming back, for you!!"
‘Alright mate, I was only joshing’ Otto stands unstably and pats him awkwardly on the shoulder.
‘What do you know of what I am doing here? And what is Zorranson doing here?’
Tiley relaxes "Celery has some contacts here, who gave him a call"

"I know your here because of something to do with a woman, Celeres seemed to think your married"
"As I'm a native and he could sneak me in, I had to work my way through people who you'd associated with, and Zorranson turned out to be your employer"
"He seems intent on helping you, thinks he owes you, righting a wrong or some such"

‘I am as good as married in their eyes yes’ Otto lowers his voice ‘and maybe that will happen in the future’ he adds with a smile.
‘But if we don’t find a drug or herb which can cure the malady she has contracted thanks to that bastard’ He gestures with his thumb to Zorranson ‘She’ll be dead and I won’t get the chance!’

‘I am very glad to see you Tiley’ Otto says in all honesty. ‘Just watch those two ok?’ He ambles over to the makeshift camp and promptly collapses in a heap there. Losing consciousness.

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 pm

You awaken in the morning refreshed and not as sore as you thought you would be, you notice several modern dem patches scattered across your torso.
Tiley is already up, Freyan is also busily moving around the camp; Tailor begins to dismantle the tent.

"What’s the plan of action?” hisses Zorranson, an animalistic caste has settled over his face.
The cold whisper of Freyan’s voice replies, "We head to the village of Veto, in the north east reaches, there we can get the lay of the land"
Zorranson turns, beginning to busy himself "Zorranson" states Freyan
The tycoon turns
"Your nature becomes harden to control, does it not, you are closer to the source!!"
"I will be fine" he sharply replies
"If you are not, matters will be quick and final, especially where we're going!"
"Yes I know,” breathes Zorranson sorrowfully

Otto busies himself over a little bit of breakfast, but listens carefully to the exchange between the two men.
(Listen Roll of 15)

Is he a vampire? Otto thinks.

'What kind of place is Vato?' Otto says aloud, standing and stretching out his sore and aching body.

Zorranson looks up "Vato is Freyan's home village, it lies up within the first crags!"
Tiley hands you an SMG "I would give you some armour Otto, but I don't think it'll compete with yours"
He does hand you a fresh set of clothing, along the lines of Victorian hiking gear, with a cunningly concealed hi tech lining, he also hands you a number of derm patches.

The camp is dismantled, Tiley throws a capsule into the deflated tent and it immediately begins to dissolve, neither of Gothicians comment.

"Lets get this done,” says the lieutenant, and the small party move off, into the highlands.

'My word! Haven't you changed!' Otto exclaims as he shovels down a bit of bread and cheese.
'Give me enough time so I can change!' he gestures to the clothing.
He steps out from behind a rock. 'Right! Lets be off then!' He says with his clean clothes on. The other clothes were decidedly worse off!

"The Celestial Guard does that to you Otto" Tiley replies
Moving off you begin to hike across, slate grey stabs of rock, precariously making your way up into the highlands.

'I suppose it would!' agrees Otto 'Why are we so armed if this is Freyan’s village we are going to?' Otto trudges achingly up the hill path. 'Surely its safe?'
"No where in Scarathera is truly safe Otto, put that with the fact that my people are extremely weary of strangers" replies Freyan

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Sat May 12, 2012 8:40 pm

(Make a Spot Roll and a Ref Save)
(Spot of 18 and Ref save of 18)
As you climb you are reminded of some gothic horror, you encountered a few back in Centrum.
Several times you have to avoid jagged spines of rock that threaten to slice clean through your boots, their colour and consistency that of the surrounding rock.
Similarly the party avoids biting creatures resembling heavily built ferrets that dart out of rocks to snatch a pound of flesh.

You approach a huge natural archway, the stone and surrounding cliffs made from the same spined black stone 'perfect place for an ambush you think to yourself'
As if responding to your subconscious thought your sensors move from passive to active, a topographic scan of the terrain starts, another sense within you, one based on your years of experience tells you something’s amiss.

Freyan and Tiley have also stopped.
"TAILOR stop" you shout

As lines spring from the darkness of the cliff walls, each line carrying a weighted end.
'MANA EMANATIONS DETECTED'

The lines moving at blinding speed and seemingly of their own violation wrap around the big half orks legs, hoisting him in the air and penduluming him down the face up which you have come.

Freyan darts left, knocking Zorranson to the floor, as foot long stakes explode from hollows in the walls, again your sensors detect chemical residue upon the shafts.
(Make an Initiative roll)
(Initiative of 23)
Spinning you track Tailor as he is swung up in the air and hurtles down toward the rocks
.
With a spot roll of 15 can I see if these strange magical lines are originating from the same place?
Also would I have made a fetish by this time for me to speed up the casting of my spells?
They originate from opposite points in the cliff wall.
(Your casting times have improved naturally).
I cast Tensers floating disk (speed cast using a deed point) also with this deed point I want to be able to upgrade the weight the disk can carry. I think its 50ibs per level. If needs be I will expend my remaining deed point to increase it further.

I will throw the disk so it homes in to Tailors chest and will slow his descent and eventually stop safely.
(Sorcery of 15, Concentration of 22)
(Melee attack roll)
(Melee of 12)
Does it look like an intricate magical trap?
(Detect Traps of 15)
(Make an Arcane Sciences (Spellcraft) Roll)
The disk speeds out, unfortunately missing Tailor, but it does snag one of the ropes jerking it left.
Tailor crashes down, however instead of landing upon his skull he impacts on his shoulder, a sickening crunch resounds through the pass, your medical diagnostic programs already running analytical estimates.
The ropes haul the unfortunately Tailor, swinging him up and them down, the movement in itself is agony for him and another scream leaves bloodied lips.
(Make a Ref Save)
(Ref save of 16 & Spellcraft of 18)
I will try and get the disk back under Tailors chest, to act as a cushion. He should not hit the floor now.
(Arcane Science of 19)

User avatar
Otto
Solo
Solo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Tue May 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Tiley turns, his HVSMG whines and fires, a line of firepower cascades into one of the ropes disintegrating it.
Another rope launches out, slapping you around the side of the head, but failing to grab.
Tiley is knocked back as a further shower of darts takes to the air, again your sensors flicker acknowledging a mana fluctuation around him, as a shield erupts around him.

'Celery has protected you well, you think to yourself'

With a sweep of your arm, to strengthen your connection to the disk, looping it downward and with a thump, under Tailor, the remaining rope pushes in an attempt to break the disks hold, until Tiley regains his footing, aiming and severing the second.

Freyan dances with a further pair of ropes, winding them up around his spear, at which point they snatch it out of his hands and into the air.

Holding Tailor aloft, you turn, your assessment of the trap is quite simple, some form of detection formula combined with an animate rope formula.

You stagger as three of the stakes crash into you, the upper most explodes upon your chest, the next lower glances your ribs while the third, takes a chunk out of your waist.
(6 Points of damage)
Ahhh! I yelp in pain as I get back with Tailor. ‘Everyone back off! It’s a detection trap’ Otto shouts.
I will try to ascense the detection radius of this trap with a 17 spellcraft roll.
Quickly analysing where Tailor was and the mana fields you detect the traps circumference, the ropes are still extended however and alert in a serpent like manner.

The black arch looms ominously overhead.
It is barely mid afternoon, but the sky darkens above.

"We must reach Vato before twilight" breathes Freyan, eyeing the trap warily.
Can I now find the central point of where the magical trap is coming from and disarm it?
(Spot 18 & Spellcraft 19)
This would appear to be the only route, short of climbing back down the entire cliff.
The ropes seem to emanate from within the rock, however you do detect a mana pattern within the ropes.
(Make a Sense Motive roll)
(Sense Motive 26 Crit of 20!)
There is a similarity between the mana pattern and Freyan.
‘Freyan? Would you people have devised this trap?’ Otto grunts as he places Tailor gently on the floor.
He then peers intently at the area again from a safe distance.
Can I destroy the trap?
"This is the path to our village, so yes they could well have set this trap"

It looks difficult to destroy, however it does occur that you might be
able to deactivate it.
(Spellcraft of 14)
(Make Spot, research and concentration rolls)
(Spot of 16, Research 27, Concentration of 14
)

Reaching out with your arcane senses, you look for a long time until the pattern of the trap is readily apparent.
It takes a while to establish contact with the pattern; several times you mystically touch it for it to become ethereal once again, until on the fourth attempt you grab it.
From then on it is a simple process of tracing the pattern to its anchor and deactivating it.

The ropes retract into the walls, now inert, however you know you only have so much time.
(Make a Ref Save)
(Ref of 18)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests