The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Details and a record of the characters exploits, successes and failures within the Parallel Worlds.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

Otto
Solo
Solo

The Goodlund Chronicles

Post by Otto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 pm

The Goodlund Chronicles

Lieutenant Xavier Tiley watched the rush from the Musuu position, towards the Mechanist Lines.
The Musuu split their infantry into two distinct groups, cavaliers and grenadiers, the heavily armoured cavaliers surged toward the line, while the riflemen provided covering fire from the rear.

The Mechanist forces opened fire, steam repeaters chewing up earth and into ornate armour, the Musuu forces were made up of human cavaliers and half ork like riflemen, smattered with the odd dwarf, seemingly covered in fur.

"These charges are becoming more frequent" observed Tiley
Three figures stood upon a bluff, overlooking the Skaratheran shale beach, concealed by Dragontech military grade chameleonware.
Gundadd stood silently taking everything in.

"There’s going to be a big offensive, their testing each other" replied the large mechanoid in Celestial Guardsman armour, the android part of his brain, beyond his soul matrix analysing the tactic possibilities

Going Native

A daze settles over you.
You find it strange that you are sitting on a sturdy wooden chair in the middle of your earthen, stone kitchen.
Adrianna potters over the stone sink, washing some fresh vegetables.

"You’ve gone native" you hear the haughty bastard, as you spoke with him the previous day in the post office.
"Yes I have" you mentally reply, for weeks you’ve toiled, helping with the construction of your house and similar buildings in Goodlund.

Ivelliian’s influence had meant that Goodlund had now been designated a garrison town, a large fort was being built on the riverbank, meaning that the sleepy riverside town was growing into a prosperous place.
Mind you one and a half million sovereigns certainly helped.

You think back to the letter Zorranson sent you:

From Acram Zorranson to Otto Von Weirdigan,
Otto I am writing to congratulate you on your safe return of your wife Adrianna.

Your work on the steam cars has proved extremely successful, the cars are fabulous and turnout to the races is beyond our wildest expectations.

In a small appreciation of your efforts I enclose a bankers draught for the sum of three million sovereigns.
As you specified one half of this sum has been written to the town of Goodlund, the remaining half to yourself.

Otto when I write that this is a small token of my appreciation I do not say this lightly, you yourself personally experienced the curse that has long cast its long and stagnant shadow across my family.

Since my distant ancestors were cursed we had tried every conceivable potion, remedy and ritual to free us, nothing but false hope and the occasional reprieve was gained.

A few generations would pass with little in the way of the signs, and then the next generation would bear the mark.

In journeying to the place from which the curse originated I had firmly believed that which I had fought for so long would consume me, in fact I almost welcomed it.

Indeed it did consume me, but your rescuing of the child, an act I thought given the circumstances to be pure folly however was the cleansing of the taint.

Forgive me Otto I'm rambling, I shall conclude by saying your have mine and my families heart felt thanks.

Yours faithfully
Acram Zorranson

1.5 Million Sovereigns! That is a lot of money! Otto marvels.

"Otto" a soft voice called you back from your thoughts.

He looks up from the paper he has been reading.

'Yes dear?' He says with a loving but slightly ironic lilt.

'The news in the paper isn't very good, in fact it's damn worrying' Otto thinks to himself as he smiles at Amdea.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Re: The Travellers Tales of Otto Von Weirdigan

Post by Otto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:30 pm

The thought is a startling one; Gothica is on the verge of a global conflict.
The paper being one of Mechanist Imperial bent is well and truly sabre rattling stuff, saying that the primitive Orientals had been thoroughly thrashed at the Battle of Scarpa Straights.

In reality your inter planetary sources had informed you that both sides, had withdrawn with the Mechanist Imperials having learned the hard way that their enemy was all the more capable of giving them a bloody nose.

You follow Amdea through to the lounge, sitting in your great big Embery Wood chair.
Amdea joins you.
Looking out of your great bay window, down upon the village, funny you think to yourself, your house is built upon the spot where Uzurl attacked the invading ork snipers, the hill now part of the village and the plot for your house.

Looking down upon a greatly expanded Goodlund, you watch the sun burn red below the horizon.
(Make a Use Device Roll)
Use Device of 21

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm

As the evening passes, a content darkness settles over Goodlund.
You awaken from snoozing, your secreted sensors triggering alarms in your headware.

I rush to the bedroom window.
'What the hell is happening?' I think to myself.

Automatically search routines run through your head-ware, drawing together the fragments of information relayed by the sensors.

The conclusion is that there is some activity in the town square, which is out of routine for the village.

"Otto, what's wrong?" says a soft voice from behind you.
Turning from the window you see Amdea in her nightgown.

Bugger, Otto thinks to himself I didn't want to wake her.
I don't know love, but I'll find out!' stay here and fire up the communications platform please my dear. I'll be right back'
Otto steps out into the street, hugging the shadows.
Hide 19
"Be careful darling" she says softly as you head quietly out of the door.

Making your way slowly down the hill into the main streets, you are encouraged by the yellow glow of the gas street lamps.
Heading around the streets, you reach the town square, as you do so you see lights from within the open door of the Temple.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 pm

I will not allow myself to be seen, Hide of 16.
I will hide behind the large bushes that grow neatly in the square.
What can I see going on from where I am?

The temple door is ajar, with a sliver of light.
However not far enough open to see within, you conceal yourself behind the bushes.

Bollocks, Otto mouths to himself.

He sneaks up closer to the half open door and peers inside.
Spot of 18

You see some of the locals, seemingly looking around the temple.

Are they locals though? Do I recognise them?

They are locals, including the head Priest and constable.

'Evenin' Father Richards, PC Adams' Otto appears in the doorway to the church.

'I heard the commotion, is everything ok?' Otto says as he walks slowly and cautiously towards them.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm

"Evening Otto" says Father Richards with some relief, Constable Adams is crouched looking at the grooves between the stone slabs upon the floor.
"It seems someone’s been 'avin a look round" he says

'Really?' Otto exclaims as he bends down to look.
Spot of 19
"Stuff and nonsense" says Mayor Tarny "Just someone snooping around, why do we have to blow things out of proportion?"

You attention is drawn to the Constable, who says nothing, he seems to be examining something.
Your headware had closed into it nightly sleep and restore cycle, reactivates, clarity flooding into your vision, your sight extends to a microscopic level examining the object of Constable Adams attention.

Held between his thumb and forefinger is a shard of green glass or crystal, your vision sweeps to the grooves between the floor slabs, which seem to have been filled with this glass or crystal.

'I wonder' Otto thinks to himself.

I will have a look around to see if any of the slabs has had the glass/crystals removed. I will be subtle about it though as I don't want too many people seeing if there has been a breech in the church.
Spot of 28 a crit of 20!
Do I spot anything?

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Analysis proves that the integrity of the slabs have remained the same, also with crystal fragments scattered under the pews, indicates that the crystals have been added after the slabs were laid.

Turning your headware flicks through visual modes, you stop your eyes from widening, as ultra violet shows litany scowled across the wooden walls, invisible to the naked eye.

'Looks like there is nothing here to worry about.' Lies Otto;
Intelligence test of 21
'I'll have a cursory check of the rest of the building with the constable, it looks like some pranksters idea of a joke.'
'We'll handle it from here.'
Leadership of 18
Do they fall for it?

"You see Richards, Otto's here, nothing to worry about, pranksters" says Mayor Tarny unsteadily happy to dismiss sinister thoughts from his head.
The Priest looks pained "I suppose you right, thank you Otto"

Constable Adams remains quiet, he's now stood and looks around, taking in the temple.

'Not a problem Father, we'll just have a quick look around'

I'll head up to the altar with the constable. And just chat generally to the PC until the rest of them bugger off!

The priest looks around reluctantly before leaving after a hurried mayor.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 am

"So Otto what do you really think?" says Constable Adams

What does the scrawl say?
(Make an Arcane Theory Roll)
Arcane Theory of 16
You have no understanding of the scribblings, its not that it’s some deeply arcane magic, but that it’s written in a foreign language that you have no comprehension of.

I pull out a pad from my great coat with a pencil attached to it. I write down the language on it.
'What do you make of that Sam?' Otto asks PC Adams as he shows him the note pad.

Constable Sam Adams looks at the writings, a quizzical look crosses his face.
"I haven't the faintest idea Otto, where's it from?"

‘Well mate, this scrawl seems to be written over the walls, invisible to the untrained naked eye. And it seems to be connected to the crystal glass in the tile grooves which you so deftly spotted!’ Otto smiled with approval. ‘What it pertains isn’t good’

Otto pulls a pack of something out of his greatcoat…….
'However these are.' He produces some Vonjacobsmegacreamcrackers that he starts to eat noisily.
'Want one?' He asks with his mouth full holding out the packet.

"So someone has broken into the temple, scattered this glass on the floor and written gibberish on the walls in invisible ink" summarises Sam as he declines Otto’s crackers with a gesture. ‘Have you been drinking?’ he peers at Otto appraisingly.

At that point your headware indicates that a presence has entered the grounds of your house.

'Trouble at mill, come on!' Otto says with a note of panic in his voice.
Scattering the crackers in his wake, he runs out of the church hopefully with Sam in tow. Once he leaves the church he produces the shotgun from his greatcoat and runs like hell towards home.

Constable Adams stops at his office, retrieving his revolver and sprints up the hill after you.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:16 am

Rounding the corner to your gate, you hear the familiar growling of one of your Altairan Smooth Hound crosses, has got something.
Your own Smooth Hound genes stir, momentarily a feral urge crosses the primal part of your brain.

Cautiously moving through the gate, you see one of the muscular cross breeds, mauling something small, your Headware zooms in on object revealing it to be cloth.

What is the piece of cloth?

A thin light weight material, black in colour, which one of your hounds is most reluctant to relinquish.

Gerrof Enalis!' Otto grumbles at the smooth hound as he looks at the material.
Examine of 25
'Amdea!' Otto shouts

Your front door opens
"Otto what’s the matter?" she says, Raz stands next to her, nuzzling her leg.
The material is similar to silk but considerably stronger, your head-ware accesses various data files.
Woven Giant Spider Silk!

As if sensing the drama, Raz starts to howl.
"Always was the noisiest of the litter" you mutter, trying to concentrate on the silk.

'Thank Von echelon she's ok!' Otto thinks to himself in relief.
'This is spider silk' he says aloud.
Don't the Drow use this?
Scan the area around us all. Computers 28
'Looks like we have a snooper around here dear.' Otto says.

The Drow do indeed use Giant Spider Silk, thermal imaging reveals heat sources in your grounds.
Raz Hound is noisily agitated, while Enailis Hound if being offish!!

You think back to the experiment, since Tiny's changes you allowed SID to investigate, after the Live Ship debacle you, he took Smooth Hound DNA from you and crossed it with Tiny’s genes, producing a litter of Smooth Hound Crossbreeds that where overly muscular, tenacious and healed very quickly.

That's a great Idea mate! I take it I have a mild psi connection to them?
Can I see what they saw???
It’s the quirky kind of thing you'd do!
Make a Wisdom Roll?
Wisdom of 20 un-natural.
You can't see what they've seen, but you know that Enailis intercepted someone; he has lacerations to his shoulders, which upon inspection are already healing.
How many of the hounds would you have bred, and amusingly what are the other names?
Make an Arcane Sciences Roll?

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:17 am

Well, it’s only been a year so there would have been only one litter of five. They are as follows:

Enalis: Considers himself the Alpha male, and tries to be aloof of the rest of the litter. Etc, fill in the blanks! Ha ha ha!

Raz: Complete schitzo, has been known to attack his shadow and in one instance smashed the downstairs kitchen window when he thought his shadow was getting a drop on him! Often known to leave unpleasant surprises in the most unwanted places!

Alabaster: For obvious reasons, Otto still has a lot of guilt with regards to the original one. This dog seems to keep its distance from Otto, although is still loving.

Randle Von Estigan: A very cautious and some would say nervous dog. But shows an innate ability with stealth and tracking, when backed into a corner though he has been known to be very dangerous!

Rosie: She is the calming influence amongst the chaotic personalities above. The most level headed and practical dog that is the alpha female in truth!

Otto and Amdea have built an extension on the house to accommodate them in a barn like building.
Arcane Science of 17

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 am

Your Band of Puissant Connection activates, built into the adamantium of your forehead the Technologist Glyphs shine electric blue.
Your innate connection with the hounds is heightened, as you gain a glimpse of Enailis's memory.

Your see two maybe three, black dressed figures moving slowly and quietly through the gardens.
Your gain no idea of sound, but Enailis launches himself in to the fray first barrelling into the nearest figure and grabbing his leg.

The figures are lightning quick, but the captured figure can't shake Enailis free, until in doing so he loses a large patch of his trouser cloth.
The figure turns drawing a short, thin curved sword and slashes Enailis across the shoulders; the figure seems surprised in that the hound much like his
Namesake just carries on.

By this time Alabaster and Raz have joined the fray charging around the gardens after the figures that disappear into the night.

Inspection of the wounds and the images you saw indicate a thin blade of extreme keenness.

Rosie has adopted her customary place beside Amdea, while Enailis stands surveying the garden; Randle is sniffing around with Alabaster, with Raz now doing a circuit of the garden, barking at the top of his voice.

Check to see if Randle hasn't picked up more about the intruders.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 am

Constable Adams looks at you quizzically, a little fearful of your silence.

You turn the internal Headband passing its connection to Randle; he sniffs around but frustration floods from him, as he can find no further scent.

'Sam' Otto addresses the PC.
‘Have we ever had any problems with Drow elves in the region?' Otto asks mildly.
"Drow Elves Otto, what on earth are they?" he replies

Cursing yourself, you remember that Gothica apparently has no indigenous drow.

'Erm' Otto thinks quickly.
'Sorry Sam, it's a speech problem I get when I get worried about things. It will DROW!!!!!!!!!!! pass.'
'Drow!'
'Now that's better I think……………..'
'Drow!.............. Bollocks!'

'Lets start again, do you have any problems with elves in this territory Sam?'

"The occasional act of dishonestly, but nothing concerted Otto. Orks, now they’re a different matter, as you know!"

"Otto, what’s going on?" says Amdea with a look of concern.
'That bloody elf Raz, is rubbing off on me! Bloody speech impediment! Shit! What a crock!' Otto thinks to himself.

'I don't know dear, but someone has been in the church rooting around and it looks like they were sneaking around here.'
Otto pauses and rubs his chin. 'They can't be to far away from here, darling, can you get on the wire and let the authorities know?' This is my codeword for Amdea to prepare the interplanetary communication system, but not to transmit yet.
'Right Boys! Who's for some hunting?' Otto booms to the dogs as he puts the cloth under their noses.
A frenzy of excitement ensues, as the hounds hurtle round the garden.
Randle trots up dutifully as if knowing your expectation, sniffing the robe, he turns and taking the lead he heads into the darkness.
'Tom, can you stay here with Amdea and Rosie please? Or if you can call in someone to look after her?' Otto asks as he dodges the enthusiastic dogs!
Constable Adams hurries off to find reinforcements "I'll get someone and catch you up he shouts"
"Be careful Otto" says the other half.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 am

The hounds race with frenetic excitement, charging out to the east.
You race beyond Goodlunds Boundries, heading across the moorlike fields beyond.

'Damn these hounds endurance' you think, as your flesh and blood muscles strain to maintain the run.

After a flat out dash you hurtle down a steep slope, of an overgrown quarry side, a few miles along the quarry floor stands a disused mining facility.
The hounds become quiet, silenced by a growl from Enailis, Randle's back has lowered, his stealth mode as you've called it before, the rest of the hounds, follow his example, even barmy Raz does so with a massive degree of self control.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:23 am

Entering the cave.

A smile crossed Otto Von Weirdigan's face, the hounds had to count as one of his most bizarre but impressive feats thus far.
They had been genetically synthesized from the Smooth Hound DNA within Otto's own cells, a fact that lent them human genetic material.

However their makeup was beyond that, to stabilise the gestation he had taken DNA from Enailis and even manticore cells, good had balanced evil.

What had he been thinking, but it had worked, the hounds had the grace of the Smooth Hound, coupled with a musculature befitting a big cat and a stupid tendency to charge into any situation not matter how dangerous, the fact that they healed almost before they bled didn't help.

Each of the hounds flattened almost monkey crawling toward the mine. Otto's arcomechnic sensors swept out, analysing the individual pheromone releases from the hounds. The intruders had been quick, of that there was no mistake.
The temperate moorland scents filled Otto's nostrils; half a dozen sensors broke down the components.

<Otto, this is Trance, you activated the uplink, what’s up?>
Otto pauses his descent and hunkers down on the side of the slope. With the brisk night moorland winds buffeting his long coat, he halts the Smooth Hounds and directs them to him with a gesture.

'Bugger, I asked her not to activate it quite yet! Bless her.' Otto thinks, a little irritably over Ameda’s eagerness.

The slight crackle and whine of Otto’s SuperEtherCommsInterPlanitari device equalizes for him to return the hail.

<Trance, good evening. Sorry about breaking radio silence but at this moment I am tracking what potentially might be an incursion of Drow Elves into Goodlund territories. To my knowledge this could be a 'first contact' scenario of this race on Gothica. I know what they are capable of and am requesting advice and any possible assistance if required. However at this time I have yet to confirm that Drow are present. Over.>

The hounds pad up almost as a single entity and lie down close to Otto, mouths open and panting.
"How do you remember to breathe, FACKNUTS?” bellows Sting from the recesses of Otto's headware core.
Then it all comes back to him, Otto remembers that the Drow have been active on Gothica before, he encountered them on the Frontier where ISPD Drow attempted, a number of times to seize the location of the Liveship.

Momentarily Otto is lost in memory, he thinks back some 7 months previously, to when he returned with his companions and Amdea from Skarathera.
Of sitting in an Imperial Office in the High Tower Station orbiting one of Gothica's sister planets.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 am

"You can't just apply for citizenship, Von Weirdigan!” Colonel Gladus had said, "Gothica is a priority one security Zone within the Empire"
"Actually considering that the Mechanist Governing Council has approved fortification of the Adracian/Krais Border, I can think of no better Steward for the Fort town of Goodlund" replied Lord Ivelliian.

So after much grumbling from the powers that be, the now monumentally influential Lord Ivelliian had got his own way and Otto had been declared an Imperial Steward for Goodlund.
It seemed that Otto's loyalty to the town, Gothica and Amdea had won him a place of respect from the First Lord of Commerce.

Otto found himself to be snapped out of his reverie by Raz brutally nudging his privates with his nose.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 am

<I'll contact Lieutenant Strauss on the Tower, OVW, see if he's picked up any activity> beamed Trance.
<Ow, shit Raz pack it in! Erm, belay the last. Will await your response, VW out.> Otto closes the communication lamely and looks down the slope.

<'An you can fackin' shat up Sting! Or I will reprogram you!> Otto thinks subetherly.

Otto stands and brushes the grass off his trousers, and with a series of gestures to the dogs he instructs them to continue with a stealthy route to the mine entrance.

The Xerthian brandishes his shotgun and follows them quietly down the slope.

'Its almost like huntin' for Megavoltaquail back on Xertherus 6!' he remembers fondly.
Make a Search roll?

<"Heh heh heh, you'd probably end up givin' yerself a fackin lobotomy!!x!!x!!x!!">
<I might be doing myself a favour then!> Otto retorts.
Search of 13

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 am

Inlayed into the outer Adamantite of Otto Von Weirdigan's forehead, are two thin rings lined with Arcotech glyphs, the lower of the two, being closer to his eyes glows a whitish gold, slightly illuminating the inner flesh of his head.

'Von Weirdigan's' Headband of Mental Acuity interweaves with his Headware sensors sweeping down the track leading into the mine entrance.
Calling the hounds back, Von Weirdigan's enhanced vision detects, a criss cross of golden filaments across the entrance itself, a slight breeze carries fresh air toward the opening.
An aside mate. What happened to Trance on the completion of the Skarathera caper? I remember that she was evacuated out, but due to the super multi tasking distractions I had I forgot to find out. Obviously she is alive but a bit more info would be nice.
Trance's parents occupied fairly mundane professions in a distant orbital habitat, her mother a doctor, her father an accountant.
Upon discovering her role in the Skarathera incident and her obvious aptitude for the Dragon-Net, her parents jobs were transferred to one of the outer orbital installations in the Gothica System.

Some political wrangling on Ivelliian's part allowed Trance to be part of the Post Office, under the supervisory note that should she abuse the privilege it would be removed (It occurred to you that the Empire thought this was probably easier than her hacking her way in).
Just as long as she's alright, that’s all that matters.
Do these golden threads appear to be either a trap or a magical spell or both?
Search of 17

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 am

The hounds spread out, Randall crouches to a monkey crawl, shuffling forwards amongst the moss covered rocks leading down to the mine entrance. Enailis stands tall challenging any who would dare come out.
The rest of the pack lie just behind Otto, awaiting his instruction.

<Oi Facknuts, Heka Emissions are fluctuatin’ from the mine shaft, that’s right I said 'SHAFT'>

Watching the threads closely you see small wisps of reddish gold energy waft from the wires, your sight tracks in, the cloud cover above drafting from the moon raising the ambient light, revealing another layer of green crystal shards shattered on the ground beneath the threads.

<SHAFT. Yer damn right... I'm a complicated man who no one understands but my womaan!> Otto sings subetherly as he paces down towards the mine entrance cautiously.

'I can't think where I've heard that song before' he muses.

Otto's Headband sweeps the mine entrance in passive mode as he gets to the opening; quickly he drops to one knee and points the shotgun into the darkness.

He signals the hounds to come closer, and to position themselves on either side of the opening where they won't be seen from inside the mine.
Would it be possible to crawl under or in some other way avoid the golden filaments without resorting to other means. (Smoke make heap fire!)
Not to go underneath it, or rather not for someone of your bulk, there is only about 8 inches between the crystal covered floor and the threads.
Can I identify what kind of spell it might be? If so I want to attempt to drain the magic off it and thus making it inert. The alarm wouldn't go off, as the magic power would be drained from it rather than it being triggered.
I'm basically attacking the spell passively.
Seventh Dimensional Theory of 22.
Arcane Science of 28

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 am

I will drain the magic off into my Voltaic Coil if possible.
Concentrating on the Active Heka within the threads, you trace the current to a strand leading into the mine mouth, however you do notice a junction, where two strands cross.

Reaching over gingerly you place four of your fingers on each side of the cross of wires, allowing the 7th D Formula to finalise within your mind, you fail to draw the Heka into the coil but it does bleed out into the surrounding ether.

The flurry of almost militaristic gestures from Otto broke the Altairian Megahounds still, silent vigil. The dogs fell in behind him as he entered the mine. Randle had moved silently further ahead into the darkness.

Looking back briefly he saw that it had started to rain outside, and a thick fog had begun to crawl over the moorland. The wind was getting even stronger now as it lashed the heather and long grass with powerful gusts. Visibility was dropping fast outside, and what had started as a lovely night had now become very unpleasant.

The Arcotech glyphs whined with activity in Otto's head, and through his enhanced vision the darkness of the mine fell away to shades of grey.

From local knowledge that he had gleaned, the mine had been excavated about twenty years ago by the original settlers in Goodlund for coal. The seam had bottomed out within a year of its creation when it was discovered it was just a small deposit, but by all accounts the mine itself was quite extensive.

The once solid beams that supported the tons of rock and earth above them were now precarious and unstable according to Otto's special perception. Also the h20 readings here were also very high in the mine.
Coal dust and debris puffed up in clouds as he and his canine companions footsteps disturbed the floor.

'Not very damp here though.' Otto muses.

The mine continued for some distance in a straight line and if there was any change in the direction of the excavation it was obscured by the low light. The shadow of Randle could be seen crawling forward carefully, his stumpy tail wagging enthusiastically.

Suddenly, a strong blast of cold air coming from deeper in the shaft buffeted Otto's face and startled him.
'Fack!', he whispers. 'I hate it when that happens!'.
'Ruff' a canine voice pipes up beside him.
'What did you call me Raz? You little shit?' Otto growls as he peers into the gloom with trepidation, his finger on the trigger of his arquebus.

'C'mon chaps, before I lose my nerve!' Otto urges the dogs on, glad of their company.

The tunnel is dark but never the less dry, leading into the deeper darkness.

The earthen walls supported by old beams, decrepit lanterns hanging from hooks.

From your hunting trips the hounds know better than making any growls, only Raz dances around.
Initiative Roll.
Initiative of 17
Followed by a Spot Roll and Ref Save.
Spot 18
Reflex 21

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

Coming to a section of the mineshaft that appears like a rest stop, the passage slightly widened to allow the miners to sit and rest.
Immediately your vision is drawn to the crunch of the material on the floor, quickly looking down you see the normal shale and stone, intermingled with green shards.

A blur of movement bursts from the ceiling of the chamber, a blade passes merely a hairs breath from your face, swinging around to respond you feel the bite of the blade in its return swing upon the back of your neck.

As you orientate, you hear a burst of canine outrage, a figure crashes to the floor as 'Enailis' launches himself above head height, 'Randle' follows great jaws clamping on body parts, and Alabaster lunges, while Raz chases his tail.
A flurry of arms and legs ensues, as the black clad figure, rotates his arms and legs disentangling itself and kicking the hounds away, characteristically it is Enailis that shakes off the kick and readies for a further attack.

The figure stands clad in loose black clothing, clearly designed for stealth and subterfuge, the most noticeable thing about the figure is that despite its face being wrapped and its eyes covered in darkened lenses, you can see the red glow from within.
3 Points of damage.
Lets see how it likes this...

Otto offloads both barrels of the arquebus at the figure.
A shot of 18 and 27.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 am

The figure darts forwards, jade green swirls of energy are apparent upon your Pursiance Band, active Heka bleeding from its form, the green swirls tinged with red.
It avoids the first blast, however its dodging movement takes it into the path of the second that blasts it backwards, as it does so 'Enailis' pounces.
Damage?
10 points

The figure spins attempting to kick 'Enailis' away, however the arquebus blast catches your assailant in the shoulder spinning it away.
The arrogant hound hits the assailant, its 200lb frame propelling it backwards, Enailis's teeth sinking into its already wounded shoulder.

It is crazy Raz that charges after the flailing pair; characteristically he goes for the parts other hounds can't reach and sinks his teeth into the assailants’ privates.

'By the Creator' you think 'Their not even fully grown, almost but not quite'
Otto swiftly breaks the barrel of the rifle and reloads two shells into the breech. He deftly closes the rifle with a flick of his wrist and points the business end back at the head of the struggling figure on the floor.
I mentally instruct Randle to search the area close to us as I could quite imagine he would have backup in some form.
I mentally instruct Alabaster to remove the wrappings around the figures head.
Instruct Raz and Enalis to keep hold of the figure but to cause no more damage unless pressed.
'Drop yer weapon and lay your 'ands flat on the floor' Otto barks.

'Now' Says Otto, panting with the pain of the sword strike. 'Unless you want two sleeping pills in the grid I suggest you start talking! Who? What? Where? Why? You get the picture.'
Intimidation of 14
'And I haven't got all fackin' day panjermo?' Otto uses the OfskiNofskiKofski language (An eastern dialect from Xertherus 7) with relish.
Have I been able to glean any information on the green crystals as of yet?

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:37 am

The hounds rise to the challenge admirably, pinning the pyjama-wearing assailant, as Alabaster begins to shred the head wrap.

As you watch a more and more demonic visage appears, its skin tight, with heavy unnatural lines, jade green eyes stare with detached anger.
Make a spot roll.
Spot of 20 un-natural
Your attention drawn to the fight that has ensued between the demonic assailant and your hounds, you fail to see a figure approach from an adjacent tunnel, turning in response to something hitting your left leg.

You first look down then backwards as a silvery chain wraps around your leg and pulls tight.
Ref Save & Strength Roll (Strength is currently 18 (+4)).
I thought Randle would have picked up the other assailant Otto thinks.
Reflex of 22
Strength 15
Sending a mental admonishment to Randle, you yelp as the chain pulls tight and you are pulled off your feet, crashing down with a painful bump.

Twisting you see three small figures, also shrouded in black.
The bulkiest of the three holds the chain tight, as the other two scrambles up the slight incline of the passage toward you.
'RIGHT YOU BASTARDS! HAVE IT!' Otto roars in frustration as he pushes himself up swiftly and fires one round of the arquebus at the head of the figure holding the chain.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:38 am

Shot of 26
Damage of 11 maybe more if a head shot.
The Xert attempts to do a quick jury rig with the arquebus round to improve the blast radius of it and shoot at the two others coming for Otto. The effect would be almost like that of a sawn off shotgun.
Jury Rig of 28
Shot of 19
Damage of 9
Scrambling around you swing the arquebus around, sticking your fingers into the gear mechanism on the side, a slight click and boom, let rip.
Cybernetic arms brace the horrendous recoil, as a blast of shrapnel and superheated air rushes forth, the strong one takes the brunt and it blasted back down the passage (releasing the chain), the middle one is flung against the wall while the nearest manages to vault over the blast.

Landing its weaves its arms as you rush to reload, a large monkey drops from the ceiling, landing upon your chest and pounding your head with its fists.
As this occurs the small figure is brought down by Randle who seems to leap from nowhere.
'What the fack?' Otto thinks wildly as he tries to avoid the monkey’s fists raining down on him. 'Al I need now is that little plumber fella with the strap-on looking for his golden coins to jump into the fray!'
Arcane Science for Voltiac Coil of 22 As Otto attempts to poke the monkey in the eyes 'Three Stoogeigans style'
'This'll piss the little fella off!' He thinks grimly.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:39 am

Melee of 18.
A sheath of blue lightning wraps itself around the coil of your right arm, the monkey attempts to bring its fists down once again upon your head, but your poke is quicker, a spark and roar follows as the primate is hurled across the cavern.
4 points of stun damage.
Otto scrabbles up onto his feet and reloads his arquebus and glances around quickly. What is the situation?
Make a search roll & Initiative Roll.
Search 18
Initiative 7
Your headware sweeps out, scanning the chamber.
The taller figure remains pinned beneath the pack of hounds.
Internal scanners swing your head around to lock upon the remaining small figure; Heka rises from its hands, a black thick Heka.

Alarms begin to sound in the mammal part of your brain.
<INCOMING> Bellows Sting

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

Otto with a grunt of exertion attempts to raise his AA (Anti Abnormality) field, to defeat or deflect the attack.
Arcane Science roll of 17
The black Heka swirls and surges forwards, passing through the AA as if it weren't even there, a biting cold weaves its way around and through the body of Otto Von Weirdigan.

The cold Heka seems to bore down to your very bones, your heart pounds slowly in your head, your eyes stream, as if your very soul were opened to the emptiness of the void.

<MENTAL NOTE MAKE SOME ANTI-MAGIC THINGY>
<IF WE FACKIN WELL GETTA OUTTA THIS>
28 Points of Damage.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

'If we ever get out of this'.

'If we ever get out of this' Sting's warning echoes repeatedly and sickeningly through Otto's head; twisting, distorting and growing fainter almost as if his persona was falling into a bottomless abyss where only insanity lay.

But there was a bottom to this hole of his own inner darkness. And he hit it with what felt like his heart first; like a teardrop that falls into the ocean of grief from all of the galaxies pain, fear and despair since time began. The teardrop that was Otto was engulfed, and made part of the gestalt entity of eternal agony. A sea of quintessential dark emotions and feelings.

The dark plasma washed over him, and through him. The chill cold of a thousand different terrible sensations pulsed and fed on his own individual pains, fears, regrets and dark memories.

A feral scream was torn out of the Xerthians psyche, the ululation intensified to a volume beyond physical perception that continued at length and then almost seemed to fade back into perception as the sigh of a last breath of a dying life form.

Another scream. This time a guttural roar of sheer hate and agony wracked him, building to a crescendo. The bloody sea of plasmic tears, indifferent to the resistance of its latest addition however rippled with the energy that only the fight could instil.

The plasma throthed and boiled as a maelstrom of force began to gather, lightning forked and span through the coils of entropy and struck the soul as he fought against the assimilation.

‘It is easier if you let go you know’ A sibilant and cruel voice said knowingly. The voice rolled like thunder through the embattled Xerts mind. Needles of pain tore flesh from sinew, and a fire like black napalm raged across the open nerves of the now human form of Otto; a teardrop no longer but a man that raged, fought and tried to stay afloat in the bloody primordial soup.

‘Fucking neverrrr argggghhhhh’ Otto screamed defiantly through the agony, and all at once the pain ceased and the ocean of torment was no more.

Suddenly there was light, as if someone had thrown a switch that brought the real world reeling and jumping back into perspective. Reality had kicked in and somehow he was face to face with the heka caster. A startling report of his arquebus woke him from his torpor, as in an instant what had been the casters head had disappeared in a splash of bone, brain and gore. The arterial spray washed over Otto’s face, blinding him.

‘I’ll see you again I’m sure’ the dark voice echoed into his mind. ‘We have always room for one more.’ It chuckled.

Two empty shotgun shells fall to floor, skittering and bouncing at Otto's feet.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 am

From further down the mineshafts, the retort of a rifle echoes up the tunnel, then another. Shaken from his encounter Otto takes a moment to focus, the Heka readings within this current chamber rising as the monkey stands and then promptly vanishes.

<FACK> says Sting simply
On cue headware tremor sensors sound, as a shudder runs through the mine, realisation hits Otto, sudden wakefulness, as a larger more violent shudder rumbles through, followed by another. The bracing crossbeams begin to creak.

From further down the shaft, a voice shouts "EVERYONE OUT, QUICK SMART"
Make a Balance roll and Ref Save.
The ground shifts now uncontrollable, the mineshaft seeming to shift and side from side to side, large chunks of stone and compacted earth fall.
Striking you on the back and head, the hounds whine as they too are battered, each runs to your legs as the debris begins to weigh you down.
5 points of damage and 10 points of stun damage.
The shaft shudders, the supporting beams giving way in the entrance, horrendous cracking roars through the mine, the hounds bark as your body now affords them some protection, although each of the four squabbles to get under the adamantium shade.
Clearing his head swiftly (now that a lump of rock has hit it!) the Xert activates his Gravitonic Disc that he hovers into position above his head and then activates the Emphyreal Projector that beams out of the disc almost like a transmitter.

The Emphyeal field should slow down the rocks sufficiently Otto hopes to himself, giving him, the canines and his prisoner time to get out with the Disc hovering above him.
Arcane Science of an un-natural 20
Otto's Intense Weather Umbrella!

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am

Otto swiftly places the shotgun in his suit inside pocket (that is now out of ammo) and pulls out his revolver, he turns and levels it menacingly at the figure on the floor.

'After you.' He says as he wipes the gore of the heka caster out of his eyes with his free hand, as the clump clump sound of the rocks hit the umbrella above him. 'I don't want to have to get dirty again!' he utters grimly.
Granted respite from the debris, Otto turns, seeing that the prone figure is now buried under a mound of rock and soil.

The mine once again shudders as a great deluge of earth crashes down around the shaft entrance filling the air with dust.
Make a Fortitude Save.
Otto has a double take moment.

'Ah ok. You just lie there then.' He says to the corpse.
Fortitude of 14
<Gotcha> says Sting as he captures another Sixth Dimensional Formaic combination, you hack and cough to clear your lungs as a cloud of dust explodes into the chamber.

Allowing the dust to clear, you become aware that the mine entrance has now been filled with soil and stones.

<Arse> says Sting

Is the mine still collapsing? Or is it just the entrance?

'Bastards blew the mine' Otto mutters as he surveys the mines integrity swiftly, and continues to sustain the umbrella.
Spot of 7 critical failure of 1
Just the entrance has been filled.

Otto would have dug away as much of the earth as possible from the cave-in making what he is about to attempt easier.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 am

The Xert pulls out the box of ammunition for the revolver and scrabbles about the floor for the empty shotgun shells, scattering debris and dust from the cave in.

He removes the bullets from the casings and drops them into the bottom of the empty shotgun shells and then pours the gunpowder into them.

Another gravatonic disc winks into existence beside him, and he bats Raz away swiftly and softly as the dog tries to grab it.

'No time for frizzzbeedigan now mate' he says kindly.
Otto will shape the disk into almost a missile shape placing all of the packed shotgun shells at the front. He will Temporary Empower the fuse mechanism (that he made from impregnating a length of the rag that was covering the bad guys face which the dogs tore off with some of the gunpowder that runs the length of the missile) with Flame that will activate with the discs contact with the cave in.
It will be a shaped charge, that has been designed to punch and blast a hole big enough for him and the dogs to get through. He has used 25 pistol rounds (and has 12 remaining) so there are 8 charged shotgun casings in the missile.
Otto also empowers a revolver bullet with an Empyreal Projection round, that he will fire at the blast target at exactly the same time. The Projection will slow down and change the rock density of the falling masonry allowing us to instantly follow through the hole that has been made.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:46 am

After finishing his work, Otto kneels and with a gesture gets all of the dogs together and after being subjected to licks and wet noses over his face (and being knocked over once) he gets them to sit obediently in a circle around him.

'After the bang of the missile' Otto puts his hands over his ears and points to the disc as the dogs listen intently and mimic his actions, 'And the bang of the bang stick' He points to the revolver. 'We walkies very very quickly through the hole' He simulates the instructions with a complex series of gestures. 'There maybe bad people on the other side, so you have my permisssion to tear them into quivering shreds!'

'Everyone understand?' He raises his thumbs hopefully with a winning grin at his canine companions.

And is promptly swamped by the four huge Altairian Megahounds in a maelstrom of paws, tongues and wagging tails.

'I take that as a yes then!' Otto gasps and splutters as he bears the assault of affection and is thrown about the mine floor like a rag doll.

The dogs finally stop in their play and move in close to Otto as he dusts himself down and curses quietly over 'Xert's Best Friends'.

'Lets do it! WALKIES!!!!!!!!!!!' Otto calls in an effeminate voice.
Arcane Science 16
Engineering 27
Physics 18
Shot 26

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 am

Comically the hounds seem to duck, the fuse sparks and a Gravitonic torpedo fires into the soil, as it strikes you fire.
A wave of Emphereal energy streaks out, before you begin to move yourself, the Megahounds sweep you up in unrestrained excitement and enthusiasm.

Before you know it you've cleared the shaft and take in a long, deep breath of fresh, albeit damp moor air.

"Otto, thank the Maker your safe", turning you see Captain Junald Swin, the garrison commander of the new Goodlund fortress, the unfortunate officer is quickly bowled over by the Megahounds.
A dark mood had settled over the Von Weirdigan household, the ordinarily warm welcoming mansion like cottage was agitated.
Or rather the better half of 'Otto Von Weirdigan', Ameda Stewart.

"It'll be alri.." Constable Adams was silenced by the murderous glare from the raven haired woman.
Ameda had become quite a force within the town, once she had been the quiet spinsterish Heleo-telephonist, that was until Otto came.
Since her journey with him, she had stopped looking like a spinster, suddenly she'd lost 20 years and had become an attractive, forceful woman.

Adams was somewhat jealous of Otto.

It was then that a garrison soldier respectfully stepped in the front door. "Mrs Von Weirdigan, ma’am, he's safe"

"Thank you private". she replied as she returned to tidying up.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 am

Once again the cold strong rainy winds of the moorland night hit Von Weirdigan as he slips and staggers up the waterlogged and uneven bank from the mine entrance. The blood on his face and hands are quickly washed clean from the torrential downpour.

'Swin! Stop rolling about in the mud and let me know what in the wide wide world of sports is going on around here!' Otto shouts into the howling wind as he steps up to the throng of dogs and the unfortunate captain.

'Randle, Alabaster, Enailis, Raz heel ya little buggers!' he snarls as the moorland rain quickly soaks him through to the skin.
Swin manages to roll from under the hounds.
"I dispatched men as soon as the alarm was sounded, Otto, Father Richards has informed me that there was attempt at a ritual or even 'The Maker' forbid desecration" replies the Military Man.

"We found a cavern below your position, accessible from a lower entrance, there we encountered several other masked figures, who put up quite a fight" he continues

<This isn't isolated either Otto, there's been flashes of intrusion and fighting in a number of border towns and a few near Centrum City> says Trance

The rain squalls and twists across the moors.
'Lets get into some cover so we can talk' Otto shouts above the howling winds. 'Otherwise we're going to catch our deaths out here.' he added with a trace of irony.

'Where is the nearest homestead from here?' he asks Swin as he grabs him by the shoulder to steady the captain.

The Xert orders the dogs onward and away from the mine as the humanoids trudge up the sodden ridge to the flat moorland.
Swin's men fan out, some continuing their vigil at the entrances to the mine, others accompany the pair of humanoids as they take refuge beneath a wide canopied tree.

"I've asked for any news on what's been happening" says Swin, as he lights a cigarette, "By all accounts strange goings on have occurred in several towns, what with all this war business going on, its all a bit rum"

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 am

Its then that the patter of the rain is broken by a deafening drone, peering out from under the tree, the pair see the fuselage lanterns of over a dozen large skyships, possibly Dreadnaughts all hurtling south.
'Uh oh' the Xert exclaims as he leans on the tree trunk with one hand and plucks the cigarette out of the captains mouth and puts it in his own.

'Picked hell of a day to nick one of your cigarettes, could you make out any insignias on those ships?' he asks Swin casually trying to hide his disquiet as he squints into the low cloud base where the ships were swiftly about to enter.
Spot of 27, a crit.
What is south from this location geographically? And did the skyships look like they were descending?
'I wouldn't discount that information Captain, I have it on good authority that these incidents are confirmed 'an they smack of initial incursions prior to an invasion'

'I facking hope not for all our sakes' Otto thinks.

<Thirteen Plus Airships sighted on this bearing heading in a southerly direction. We are ascertaining identification> he transmits on the SuperEtherCommsInterPlanitari to Trance.
Headware Links overlay with enhancement mageware, throwing Otto's sight up into the rain swept sky, at the rear of the Dreadnaughts flutter the flags of the Mechanist Empire.

<Confirmed as Imperial Mechanist Dreadnaughts, heading for Krais> replies Trance, 'Damn she's getting fast' thinks Otto
<Fackin show-off> adds Sting helpfully
"Arowlff" barks Raz for no reason whatsoever
Krais is south of Adracia, if you remember the orc attack on Goodlund came from the hordes in Krais, this is where the Mechanist Empire drove Adracia's goblin population.
'Mechanist Dreadnoughts, I think heading towards Krais' Otto says to the captain, as he kicks Stings persona before it can retort in his headware.

He is wreathed in smoke as he exhales a deep breath and tosses the cigarette to the earth, and gestures to Swin to follow him into the rain. The hounds, with a strong air of common sense stay in the comparative shelter of the trees, harrassing and playing with the soldiers who good naturedly play along with their antics.

'Right Captain, here's how I recommend you go about your duties for the time being. There are incidents occurring all over the local area, who and what they are doing we will try and find out. What I recommend at this time is that a centre of operations be made in either Goodlund or some other homestead that will prove tactically sound for defence.' Otto steps under the canopy of an oak tree, away from Swin's subordinates and the dogs. He crouches down and picks up a twig.

He proceeds to draw a rough map in the wet mud with it.

'Goodlund Garrison obviously has the most serviceable telephone network in the area so I suggest you make that your field ops base.' Otto draws a large circle with three smaller circles around it. 'Outstations should be made in the local villages of Stent, Kamerick and Cay with small contingents of your troops.' he points at the three circles. 'A small company of ten for each should suffice comprising of a radio operator, a few swift runners and small arms soldiers.'

'The three villages are located around the Goodlund region so an early warning network will be established quickly and efficiently.'

'I suggest that you put the garrison on high alert to be able to respond swiftly to any assault or infiltration that is detected. But remember we don't want to sow panic amongst the local populace, so an amount of decorum is required Captain agreed?''

'Swin, your input please.' Otto stands and looks at the Captain as if almost trying to gauge his mettle.
Sense Motive roll.
Sense Motive of 17
Swin is very composed; you suspect that an individual with a strong character was placed in charge, maybe because of certain strong personalities within the town of Goodlund.
Swin takes in the outlined plan "Sounds like a sound plan Otto", he says, his eyebrow raising, "Some military experience yourself?"

As Swin calls upon his nearest soldier, your headware zones in on further vibration, looking up you see tiny shapes high in the cloud cover, analytical programs draws upon meat memory.
'Faster moving frigates' you think.

"Otto, we need to head back,” says Swin, as he himself begins to trudge back towards the track leading past the mine, as he does one of his men runs through the mist.
The soldier stops and gives Swin some news.
"Otto" the captain shouts over the rain.
As you catch him up, he turns, his face slick with the downpour, his khaki uniform now a damp darker shade.
"We've captured one of the intruders Otto, we've got it back at the Fort"

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

The Altairian Megahound pack with a flurry of bobbing heads and scrambling paws rush from the canopy to catch up with their master.
The Altairian Megahound pack with a flurry of bobbing heads and scrambling paws rush from the canopy to catch up with their master.

'Some good news at last!' Otto steps out with a renewed vigor alongside the officer on the winding track that leads into the wooded outskirts of Goodlund. The woodland grounds are adorned with daffodils and primroses that are surrounded with fresh green heather on the banks with which the hounds snuffle, disturb and relieve themselves against. The canopies of the trees are buffeted heavily from the ferocious onslaught of the winds, leaves fly past their cold wet faces and dance like frenzied insects on the woodland track.
The rain and wind is forgotten for a moment as he traces all of his steps and actions within the last hour and a half.
He fills Swin in with all the details of his experiences within the mines and lets him know what they are up against.
'I suggest you muster your Lieutenants and your section leaders pronto back at the Garrison so we can get them set to work' Otto advises as he attempts and fails utterly to wring the rain water out of his battered bloody sleeves of his jacket.
'And I need to get home to see my wife and get a wash and a clean set of clothes on. And also to investigate this.' he holds up a small vial containing the green substance that he picked up earlier.
'I wish this fucking weather would clear up,' He peers with distaste into the sky with its mucky dark clouds. 'But I suppose in some ways it may hamper some of their plans'
'Let me be over reacting!' Otto mutters to himself, as the clump and squelch of his hobnail boots on the sodden track take him closer to his hometown, a town that could be under threat of conflict again.
Ameda scowls at you as you enter, but this quickly dissolves with relief and she hugs you for a time.
Enailis, Randle, Raz and Alabaster greet Rosie, Raz with his silly 'My tail is my enemy' dance, while Enailis stands aloof and lets everyone come to him.

Changing into dry clothes you feel much better, some Chirick Seed Tea also revives you, as a garrison soldier arrives to escort you to the fort.
'I'll be right with you corporal!' he shouts down the stairs. 'Take a pew and I'll be right down.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm

The rumble and the unsettling creak of the upstairs floor denotes the haste of the Xert, as he grabs a few items from the bedrooms and tears down the stairs and with a crash shoots out the front door to the hounds barn. He promptly slips over on the soaking mud, messing up his fresh trousers.

Cursing audibly, he proceeds to unlock a multitude of padlocks, and remove the chains that are put on the barn door when the dogs aren't there. He throws the doors back and leaps inside out of the continuing rain.

Otto looks around the room with approval at the design of the megahounds home. The sheen of the treated redwood walls and flooring give off a subtle sweet organic smell that even the dogs natural odour that hangs in the air could not dissipate completely. A large glass skylight with thick cotton blinds is fitted into the high flat roof and would on better days welcome the sunlight into the barn. Gas powered lanterns were arrayed in all of the barn corners, and a larger chandelier was situated in the centre of the ceiling.

The room is open planned, with five large dog baskets adorning it tidily and in a militaristic fashion, two on either side of the width and a single basket at the far end. Behind the baskets are five large oval swing doors cut out of the wooden walls, and on each door there are detailed carvings of each dog with their name above it that act as an excellent entrance and exit for the hounds. Amdea had carved them, and had also painted a megahound family portrait with all of the dogs portrayed in oils that hung on the furthest wall behind the lone dog basket.

'What a talented girl!' Otto marvels at his wife's creativity.

A huge shag-pile carpet is placed in the centre of the barn; where a variety of old bones and hand made dog toys are strewned about it.

Otto pulls the carpet aside with a great deal of effort. He opens a cunningly designed trap door and scuttles down the ladder to his laboratory.

And not before time! The thump of the swing doors and the sounds of the many heavy paws of his hounds make Otto react quickly. He dashes back up the ladder to the trap door opening, and slides over a metal grill.

As usual, howls of indignation arose from the throng.

'No! You know you're not allowed down here!' Otto holds his forefinger at his pets and admonishes them through the grill as they all crouch around it sniffing and licking it. 'How many times? Eh? Eh?’

'Important equipment!' he shouts as he steps down the ladder again.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Otto trudges down a ladder of some six feet in length that brings him to a heavy wooden door of oak of which he unlocks and opens. The mechanical roar of power generators instantly assault his ears.
A flashlight winks into action in his hand and he moves swiftly to a tilly lamp that is hanging up on a nail in the wall beside him and ignites it with a gesture. He picks the lamp up and surveys the room and with another gesture the deafening sounds are silenced.
Dust falls like ghostly rain in the half-light upon a large grand piano that seems to be the centrepiece of the room. The vibration of the now silent engines is palpable but hidden in the darkness. The Xert drags an old chair across to it and sits down; he unlocks the key cover and lifts it up revealing the black and white ivory keys. Cracking his fingers and rolling his neck he begins to play a chaotic piece of music that is both complex and discordant.
The difference engine adapted from a piano accepts the protocols that Otto enters and electric lights wink into being one by one revealing the rest of the room.
<Lights activated, ambient room temperature of the kennels 13 degrees centigrade. Homestead temperature 20 degrees centigrade. Coal reserves remain for five hours intense operation until generator hibernation. Fault diagnosis’s on generators processing> a subetheric voice like that of an engineer, that speaks into a voice tube to the bridge of a ship says swiftly.
Otto had not been idle, and had tinkered greatly with the piano to bring it to its current mech-awakened state.
<Thanks Stradivarius, activate the dogs floor heaters if you please to a temperature of twenty two degrees C. De-activate generator two. Pump fresh H2O into this room.> Otto is silent and relays his speech through the pianos keys.
<Protocol accepted, water is being diverted and heated now. Generator two is powering down. Air circulating.> an audible click is heard from the depths of the piano, and the vibration ceases from the right hand generator and a cool air starts to enter the room.
The room is roughly thirty feet square and had been hewn out of solid rock long ago by all accounts, as it had been here when Otto had first laid the foundations of their home. He had modified the shape slightly to perfect it and had excavated two medium size pipe tunnels to be able to vent the exhaust fumes for the coal powered electrical generators. The vent pipes were patched through to the fireplace of the main house to avoid any unwanted interest.
It had been a long and laborious job bringing all of the components for the machinery down here as Otto had built the generators all from the floor up. Zorranson had helpfully supplied him with all of the parts required and it proved to be easier to smuggle them through without arousing the interest of the locals. But then again the town was being rebuilt at the time which obviously helped.
The generators (which bear a resemblance to that of a German U Boats but smaller) are positioned on either side of the room and are raised above the floor on mountings to prevent unnecessary vibration. Two large coalscuttles are housed above the generators that appear to be operated on a timer as coal blocks drop intermittently into the chute to the burners.
<Strad, activate the subether amplifier for a five minute pulse of conversation in ten minutes time. Continue with my current commands>
Otto stands and the keys continue to play the discordant chimes. The keys rising and falling like waves.
<Protocol accepted, coal reserves remain at five hours until hibernation. Will notify the user of amplifier success. Automated actions enabled.>
The piano had been a gift for Otto and Ameda from Zorranson for their help and support and had to be winched into the stone foundations at the very begining of the building work. A few puzzled expressions and questions by the locals were assuaged by Amdea stating that she hated her husband playing it and that was the only place she would allow the wretched thing to be placed.
But Amdea was in fact an excellent pianist and some evenings they both would come here to rattle the old ivorys and dance to Stradivarius's pre-programmed music.
And for this last reason, the room was decorated very nicely for what to all intents and purposes was an engine room. A thick brown carpet had been laid throughout, save for the 'scuppers' below the engines that could promote a serious fire danger however unlikely.
Bookshelves containing a wide range of Gothican classics, scientific and technical manuals down to romantic pulp were ranged throughout the room. An 'L' shaped comfy settee was placed in the left hand corner of the room as they walked in with a small coffee table in front of it, and a drinks cabinet is strategically placed nearby. Sepia pictures of her family and original paintings of the local moorland are placed on the walls.
Otto however walked to the far end of room. Between the generators to a desk with many shelves and cabinets above and below it, and with rattles and clanks he pulls out what he's been looking for; a microscope with the glass plates and a few small candles. With a gesture the candles are lit and the microscope is placed over it, he pulls out the green glass that he found in the church and the mine and places it on the plate and peers intently at it.
Research of 22
<Strad, pull up all planetary radio chatter and relay it through to me if you please. Filter all non-essentials>
<And also find out if this shit weather is going to abate> he adds with an afterthought.
<Protocol declined. request re-input> Strad states.
Otto sighs at Amdea's profanity filter that she insisted he install, and re-enters the command without the 'gutter talk' as she called it.
Stradivarius seems to disappear into the Ether, before returning after some 10 minutes, it is then that its sub-etheric voice returns distantly.

<Analysis indicates that the stone is a Jade derivative, it is particularly conjusive in Sixth Dimensional Heka manipulation, specifically around the modification of weather patterns>

<Derivative origin of the material is at various locales around the Mushu Peninusula>

<These weather patterns are originating from an extended cold front off the Cathemore Highlands>

<Coal reserves stand at 5 hours generator use>
The Xert peels his eye off the microscope and extinguishes the candle beneath it.

<Righto> He says as he produces a large stoneware pestle and mortar from a wall cabinet above the desk and attempts to grind down the crystal to a fine powder.

<Patch through the planetary radio chatter if you please Strad.> Otto repeats to the Difference Engine.
Is it possible to grind the crystal?
No the material is too tough.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 pm

<Planetary Sub-Ansible Link now established, Communication channel now open> states Strad

Opening a drawer marked hazardous chemicals from underneath the desk , Otto peruses a number of blue, green and red rectangular glass bottles that are embossed "NOT TO BE TAKEN" on them.

Each bottle is labelled with its contents, and the Xert pulls out bottles marked Hydrochloric and Sulphuric acid. He dons a pair of safety goggles and pours a drop of Sulphuric acid into the mortar and at a safe distance checks the results.

<Trance, I have activated the amplifier in Stradivaruis. Requesting a patch through to all of the radio chatter that is occurring planetside please so I can hear what is happening.>

<Strad, can you tell me what race populate the Mushu Pennisular?> He adds with an afterthought.
Research of 24
<"Hi Otto, patching you through>
The channel opens up, the immediate proximity of the planet is quiet, your aware that a radio silence is maintained, lest any industrious Gothican inventors overhear.
However as the range expands you pick up the chatter between ships orbiting the outer planets.
What is it that Otto is listening for?

<A comprehensive list is currently unknown> replies Strad <Here is what is known>

<Humans, Jinteki-Oni (Half-oni), Juunishi-Po (Dwarven animal people), Kensho (Dwarven goblin relations) and Orklins, it is theorised that due to the advanced numbers of spirit-humanoid interaction, many more species may be present>

I'm attempting to patch into the communication relay between each of the warring factions. Hopefully gleaning information off them.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:18 pm

The chatter from the Mechanist sides is easy to intercept, lots of troop movement along their northern and eastern fronts, skirmishing has occured largely confined to oceanic and avian battles. The thing that both concerns and amuses is that there is also a lot of bravado chatter and non-chalant chatter which dosen't seem to give the impression of an impending war.
The volume of Heleo-telegraphic is immense, with lines of commerce, industry and banking flowing across Adracia.

The Mushu are more difficult to decypher, largely because they don't seem to rely on any technological communication, the only info you do gain indicating orders sand troop movements is translated from music box type devices.

The things of interest are a message mentioning 'The sudden storm' and an expedition 'To the summit'
<Strad, can you pick up any more information from this Mushu transmission?> he asks as the acid pops and fizzes in the mortar.

<Also, list the mountain ranges on the Mushu Penninsular.> he adds as he gets a round glass fire extinguisher grenade to hand from a stowage installed by engine number two, and apprehensively looks again at the mortar.

What is the reaction to the jade derivative with the introduction of the acid to it?

<It is very difficult to deduse anything further from these transmissions> replies Strad, a list of mountain ranges across the Mushu peninsula datavises into Ottos headware.

A volatile reaction arises from the petrie dish as the acid reacts with the jade, Otto watches somewhat dubiously with one of those 'Perhaps I shouldn't have started this faces'.
Eventually the war within the dish ends, with the two components setting into a smooth paste that pefectlu fills the dish, Heka levels remain ambient.
At this present moment in time, from Otto's point of view who seems to have instigated this war? I take it the Mushu have obviously been blamed, but Otto is as you know a little more open minded.
Could it be an offworld venture? Or just an excuse for the Mechanist State to wipe out their rivals?
Well currently it appears an internal affair with no obvious off-world interference other than its colonial masters, the status quo of the world has been altered, an uneasy peace has existed for a long time between the two empires, the Mushu Empire gaining size and power while being dismissed by the Mechanists.

Your visit to Scarathera was the factor that tipped the scales, the Mechanists sudden decision to eradicate the Fel provoked what the Mushu decided was a territorial grab and thus hostilities have followed.
With a Research of 22, Otto will conduct the same experiment with other acids in his storage and will assess the effects with them. He is trying to find an agent that will destroy the Heka Emissions.
With an Arcane Science roll of 19, would there be any other way of destroying the heka emissions? And do these crystals seem to act like powerstones for sorcery?
'I've got to try and stop this conflict before it blows up like a firestorm' Otto thinks grimly as he rattles around in the bottle stowages.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Yes you could develop an anti-magic field by taking the principle of the Anti-abnormality and altering it to Heka patterns, the stones definately appear to be linked to some form of magical ritual.

<It would appear statistically that you may be one of the elements to prevent his> replies Strad

<You have some one who wants to talk to you> says Strad

<Indeed.> Otto relays to Strad with slight irritation in it reading his thoughts.

<Patch them through. Use any encryption possible to mask my location>

A voice sounding both terse and tense crackles into the ether.

"Mr Von Weirdigan, I understand you have encountered foreign agents within your town, this is not an isolated event, the reason for my contact is to request as to whether you have had any contact with Lord Ivelliian?"

<Who am I speaking to?> Otto enquires amicably.

"This is Colonel Gadus, Imperial Liason for Centrum City" replies the voice

<I can't say that I have recently Colonel. Why, is he missing?>

A long pause comes from Gadus, before he continues

<Yes, he went on some Hunting Trip, absolutely nonsensical in the middle of a virtual world war, and hasn't been contactable> says Gadus,
a small degree of frustration venting through.

<Doctor Significant He#'##'#>
Otto's headware sensors seem to jump, as a Heka form seemingly like a combination of water and golden light, expands into the workshop.

Squinting Otto can vaguely pick out a figure in the distance immersed within the light, the outline of the figure betrays maybe wings upon its back.
A stern bark thunders through the stillness of time.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am

'Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begun'

A feeling of falling, freefall extreme.
Rain hits the cybernetic face.
Randle and Enailis bark expectantly at Otto Von Weirdigans feet.
Looking down at his two erstwhile canine companions, Otto looks at the haughty hound.
"It had to be you"

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am

Ulfar staggered, his boots only gaining purchase due to his leg muscles bearing down.
His shotgun roared, the next black clad assailant flailing back nerve impulses animating a headless body, spinning his Admantium short sword buried itself into the chest of the next, sheets of rain made the battle a mixture of grey and white flashes, blurring humanoid movement, the briefest glimpse of the surrounding woodland and his assailants.

“Come on yer bastiches” the dwarf muttered, as the remaining six assassins drew in their noose.
‘Ulfar Tarkil’ grinned, just like the tales of old. Again the pregnant pause ended abruptly by the surge of his opponents, knives and daggers flashed, however despite being outnumbered his opponents lacked the almost immense fortitude and unwillingness to die that Ulfar possessed.
A minute passed and only Ulfar stood, bleeding from a dozen wounds, the assassins dead at his feet.

Fighting back the wave of queasiness that washed over him from his blood loss, Ulfar pushed his legs to a sprint and raced into the Cathegore Woodlands.
His heart sank when he found exactly what he’d expected, within the clearing of their camp, lay the bodies of his four charges, the first and last time he had left his master, his master and friend.