Otto's Multiversal Mayhem

Details and a record of the characters exploits, successes and failures within the Parallel Worlds.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed May 16, 2012 9:18 pm

<Lights activated, ambient room temperature of the kennels 16 degrees centigrade. Homestead temperature 22 degrees centigrade. Coal reserves remain for ten hours intense operation until generator hibernation. No faults or diagnostic discrepancies at present. Engines muted and oscillation and vibration factors compensated for your current tasking. > An electronic voice reports. The voice of sounded like an engineer through a sounding tube on a Gothican warship.

‘I should bloody hope there are no faults! It took me an age to shovel the stuff into the scuttles’ Otto mutters as he cracks his knuckles and begins a trademark chaotic tune on the difference engine he made from a large grand piano. This is where the voice had come from. The Xert had named it Stradivarius, and had managed to imbue it with form of artificial intelligence that could track and monitor etheric and radio waves over great distances of interstellar space. ‘Strad’ had proved invaluable on countless occasions, and would do so again on this new venture Otto thought.

Otto’s ‘engine room’ hadn’t changed that much, with the two U-Boat type engines still dominating one side of the large room that had been hewn out of solid rock below the foundations of his dogs large kennels.

A deep bottle green carpet had been laid with care on the floor, except for below the engines themselves which had scuppers for the inevitable oil and fuel leakages that happened from time to time. On the other half of the room, as well as the piano, there was an extensive study and a large comfy sofa of which his wife Amdea had insisted that he install. Even more sepia photos now decked the walls, mainly of his wife and children, and their pets the huge Acturian Megahounds, in various states of amusing chaos.

A large bowl of pot pourri hung from the ceiling in a flower basket, so the smells of Jasmine and Lily battled with two stroke and diesel for domination of the room. Otto always managed to bang his head against it, but would not suffer the wrath of the wife in removing it. He would rather attack the dark ones of Scarathera than risk that encounter.

All in all it remained a rather homely place for the mechanist.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm

‘Wallpaper could do with replacing though’ he squinted at the fading and peeling rose patterned decor that adorned the whole room as he brought the chaotic piece of music on the difference engine to an ear splitting crescendo on Strad.

And as the final chord was struck, the sound of the engines returned in all of their noise.

<Engine mute disabled due to power distribution> the engine spoke through the engines vibration, almost like a set of stereo speakers.
Otto hadn’t expected this, but he stood and walked over to the door where an oily set of overalls and a set of ear defenders were hung. He placed them on, and the deafening sound of the engines were muffled.

<Sub ether communications initiated> Strads voice crackled into his headware.

The Xert returned to the piano chair, crossed his arms and closed his eyes in concentration.

<Good> he said. <Monitor power usage, and warn me when you reserves fall to ten percent.>

<Understood> Strad intoned.

<Draw up all interstellar comms records on the isotope Ofskiosium and feed the images to my sub ether sensamatic viewer.>

<Magic word requested........>

<Ah fer fucks sake! I thought I had fixed this! Amdea! >

<Profanity detected>

<Why you little....>Otto seethed etherically. <PLEASE> he barked.

<Magic word accepted. Stand by.>
Last edited by Otto on Mon May 21, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Mon May 21, 2012 8:16 pm

<Sensamatic view initiated. Interrogating all known uses of the word ‘Ofskiosium’ in the last 400 years on etheric comms and radio waves.>

Otto’s etheric sight was suddenly bombarded by images of planets, systems and galaxies that was at once confusing and hypnotising. A few he recognised, many he didn’t. They shot across his vision like the flick books of pencil drawings he had made at school, almost creating some sort of strange cosmic dance.

<Estimated time to completion of task please?> Otto asked.

<Fifty nine Thurucycles, equating to two point two Gothican days >

<Hmm, I’m off for a pint then.> he stood and opened hie eyes. <Disable all non essential tasks, and let me know when you have some results for me if you please.>

Otto extinguished the lights of the room with a gesture . And as he exited the room he replaced the ear defenders on the door hook, and closed the door.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Previously
"Eeugh" Otto broke into wracking convulsions as he began to suffocate, he was surrounded by a thick billious fog consisting of silver particles,
particles that his sensors identified was a vaporous metal.

Fortunately the digitalised portion of his brain remained focused, forcing himself to hold his breath and pull his breather mask on.
He took a long deep breath, expelling the crap in his lungs and allowing the filters to purge it.

Looking down at his sensor gauntlet, he pressed a sequence of touch apps which immediately lit up his inner vision with data.
He's crossed into a world with no oxygen, the atmosphere was heavy in Hydrogen, Helium, Ammonia and other caustic heavy gasses.
The ground shuddered beneath his feet, the terrain was definately volcanic, seismic spasms shuddered along threatening to topple him.

So far his attempts to develop a form of Inter-Spacial communication had got close but not complete, however Strad was able to scan for 'Ofskiosium' via its radio frequency.
By setting off a small radio pulse resonated through the Isotope element Otto was able to set off a flare of sorts.

This is exactly what he did, breathing a sigh of relief as the doorway materialised, a sphere of swirling bands of golden light,
he hurriedly stepped through.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 pm

"Damn and blast" swore the Xert, he peered down the sandstone cliff face, the stone ediface peppered with bushy outcroppings of foliage.
Far below at its base the terrain levelled out into a flat plain, one dominated by a sprawling camp of mining monsters and their technical handlers.

In his search for uninhabited or indeed uncharted Worlds, Otto Von Weirdigan had been hopeful that this would be the one, however this one was full of human cockroaches as well.

He froze, his sensors indicating that he wasn’t alone.
Slowly crouching, he turned very slowly just in time to see a large saurian move in a predatory way past him, fortunately the creatures eyesight seemed to be poor and Otto’s lack of motion coupled with the heat retaining qualities of his survival suit had made him virtually invisible.

He remained frozen until the monster had moved off, grumbling he fired an Isotope enhanced ping into the cosmos and awaited the golden threads to appear.
Small lines of light materialised, each then impossibly curving and growing, as they did they began to rotate, doing so in such a way to eventually form a sphere.
The sphere having formed Otto stepped through, another frustrated trip and more 'Ofskiosium' used without replacement.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 am

<Constant vibrational rhythm detected>
Otto sat within his saddlebag captains chair, a worn mass of leather and springs brought all the way back from his exploits on Gothica’s Frontier.
<Constant vibrational rhythm continuing>
He had stared at the Etheric dimensional maps for hours, waiting for a small shining point of light and inspiration to catch his eye, as of yet nothing.
<Warning constant vibrational rhythm continuing>
He broke from his reverie “What!” he grunted, then looked to the bio-mechanical fingers of his right hand which were tapping a beat upon Strads Beech Outer Rim.
“You stroppy bastard”
<Vulgarity recognised and noted for later report>
“What are you talking about you arse”
“Reported to who, you idiotic machine”
“Don’t you play the dumb robot with me, you stuck up git”
<Sticks and stones>
“Aha I knew it”

<Multi-string Anomaly detected>
“Don’t you start again” Otto warned
<Sigh trans-dimensional multi-string Anomaly doesn’t not resemble previously recognisable radio scans>
“Oh your being serious, well stop buggering around and bring it up!”
The map revolved, being holographic it seemed to flex, resembling a star chart, the difference being pulsing lines and threads that ran from multiple points.
Most Dimensional points resembled a silver black hole in the place of stars, clouds of gold drifted between the points, he was so far unsure what these clouds were.

The Anomaly Strad had identified resembled something very strange, it resembled a ball of interwoven feathers floating within the dimensional space.
“What the hell is that”
“Knock that off, any further readings”
<Nothing further, insufficient core data to extrapolate analysis>
"What about Ofskiosium"
<Surrounding frequencies suitable, nothing specific>
“Sounds like there’s only one way to find out what it is”

Otto
Solo
Solo

Re: Otto's Multiversal Mayhem

Post by Otto » Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 pm

“Right!” He said with purpose as he stood up, flexed his knees and grabbed a large rucksack off the sofa. Rummaging through it he produced his large shotgun and proceeded to load it with a rapid and precise action. The heavy full metal jacket cartridges were emblazoned with glyphs, runes and machine code of which he had tailor made to interact with his abilities to make ‘interesting’ results.

He cast the fully loaded weapon on the sofa, and dove back into his rucksack and made his final equipment checks, which among other things comprised of another more advanced re-breather.

‘Do you at least know if there breathable oxygen to be had on this ‘thing’?’ He asked Strad as he scanned the breather with a practiced eye for any deficiencies. 'Don't want to have to try and beat a new universal record for holding my breath again!' he snarled.

He paused from his scrutinising and his head snapped around to glare at the ‘piano’.

‘And did I hear a sigh from you a moment ago?’ he asked incredulously as his eyebrows quivered alarmingly.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 pm

<We have no current method for evaluating amospheric integrity> replied Strad

<Have you informed Mrs Von Weirdigan of your departure?>

<A sigh I do not think you included that within my makeup>

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 pm

'No I haven't managed that yet have I?' he mused as he continued his inspection of the breather, and then a large multiscanner.

'And, no I haven't let Amdea know I'm going.' he hissed in irritation.'Yet.' he added pointedly.

'And bloody right I didn't include sighs and other expressions of emotion in your 'makeup' as you so eloquently put it.' he snapped.
Could I put this down to the AI, gaining knowledge itself? Or does this smack of the Missus?
'Not necessarily a bad thing though if that is the case' the Xert thought.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue May 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Almost in perceivably Otto thought he heard another sigh, he eyed the piano suspiciously, it seemed that Strad was both learning and being coached.

He would have to rework the locks to his lab, his wife seemed to defeat the current set far too easily.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue May 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Otto now continued his checks in silence, and once completing his inventory muster. He began to recall through his head ware database the formulae for his abilities, deleting lines of defective code and adding lines where applicable.

'Been a bit tardy with creating new code' he admitted to himself. 'However I have been pretty busy with other things!'

Mollified with that thought, he zipped up the backpack.
What is the duration in time in respect to a Divergence point and the relative Gothican time? Is it along the same lines as the Etheric or is it drastically different?

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Otto wrote:What is the duration in time in respect to a Divergence point and the relative Gothican time? Is it along the same lines as the Etheric or is it drastically different?
Arcanus wrote:Thats the fun bit, alternative Worldlines can be at any point in Earths development, so quite possible to visit a prehistoric or neolithic timeline, a point of Historical Divergence can then be at any time in History.

In terms of the difference in dates hard to tell until you reach your next destination.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 pm

What was the time differences in Otto's past mis-adventures? Just as a gauge?

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 pm

Hate to be gone for a very long time without the missus knowing! :)

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue May 29, 2012 10:17 pm

alternative Worldlines can be at any point in Earths development
Using that 'Earth' word again! He he.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Otto wrote:What was the time differences in Otto's past mis-adventures? Just as a gauge?
Arcanus wrote:Technologically I would say the variance could be as much as 200 years, don't forget some Worldlines have had technological revolutions at an earlier point, meaning that you could get to the 1980s and it be like Star Wars.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Otto wrote:Hate to be gone for a very long time without the missus knowing! :)
Arcanus wrote:In terms of how long your way time seems to be relative, so away a day is absent a day, so far that is!
In terms of how long your way time seems to be relative, so away a day is absent a day, so far that is!
Will just have to take the risk eh?

21:03:58) Otto: Otto had been on the receiving end of a heavy domestic dispute with Amdea, and left their home in a black mood.

(21:05:01) Otto: 'She knew what she was getting into when she married me!' He growled as he stomped down the cobble stones of his pathway back to the kennels.

(21:06:19) Otto: 'Danger is my middle name!' he bared his teeth in a snarl as he opened the kennel doors like a bad guy in a western movie entering a bar.

(21:06:32) arcanus: The hyper rythmic pulse from Strad as he fires up the spatial matrix, as you stomp towards the kennels you feel it stab at your back teeth.

(21:07:32) Otto: <Steady on!> he barked sub-etherly.

(21:08:13) arcanus: Five large hounds, career into his legs, milling around him for no other purpose but to show how excited they were to see him.

(21:08:42) arcanus: <You said that time is of the essence>

(21:10:01) Otto: <Family come first!> he said. A guilty twinge shot through him with the memory of the argument he had just had.

(21:11:05) Otto: 'Orwight Guys!' He busied himself with the dogs, scratching their ears and submitting to their licks and jumps.

(21:11:54) Otto: 'Gotta dash! Be good for Mummy and the kids ok? Look after them for me?'

(21:13:15) Otto: He grabbed a large ball and threw it across the room, and as suspected they all dashed to be the one to get it first. And at this he swiftly opened the trap door and jumped down it.

(21:13:47) Otto: The sound of the howls of frustration hit him as he closed the trap door.

(21:14:04) Otto: 'Sorry guys! Be back soon!'

(21:14:25) arcanus: The jaring sensation grew more intense, far worse than normal

(21:14:36) Otto: He stopped in his tracks suddenly.

(21:15:35) Otto: 'Danger isn't my middle name.' he exclaimed in surprise. As if he had had an epiphany.

(21:16:10) Otto: He shook his head and opened the door to the engine room.

(21:17:00) Otto: <What the hell are you playing at?

(21:17:52) arcanus: Upon the metal dias plate set into the laboratory floor, writhed a golden sphere of energy, bands of light forming the spherical

(21:18:28) arcanus: <Initiating Spatial portal as specified>

(21:19:30) Otto: <Right.> He said with conviction as he shouldered his backpack and primed his shotgun.

(21:19:43) Otto: <Ready when you are.>

(21:20:30) arcanus: (Make a Will Roll)

(21:26:30) ChatBot: Otto rolls 3d6 and gets 2,3,1.

(21:28:52) arcanus: Taking a deep breath, he steps into the sphere. The sensation is wrenching as he's suddenly flung into the Multiverse, this ones a boneshaker

(21:29:18) arcanus: 'Definately something different about this one' he thinks
(21:29:24) arcanus: (Roll HT)
(21:29:49) ChatBot: Otto rolls 3d6 and gets 1,6,6.
(21:30:40) Otto: <Omyfugginggawd!> he howls!

(21:32:01) Otto: 'Feels like I'm being torn apart!'

(21:36:35) arcanus: It does indeed feel like his body is being shredded as the golden beam projects Otto into the Realms, his skin pulled taunt to his face, around him the rainbow colours of an emmense nebula as he's flung through space
I took a ride in a limousine
I took a road I'd never been
I met a stranger by the way
His coat was torn but his eyes were clear

Standing in a slide zone
I could be steppin' in a slide zone

He told me where a river flows
He showed me how the apple grows
He told me of a magic stream
His face was worn but his eyes were clear

Standing in a slide zone
Standing in a slide zone
I could be steppin' through a time zone

He went to find a shooting star
Around the bend that's where they are
I went along just for the ride
Suddenly I began to glide

Standing in a slide zone

The air raced by there was no sound
We drifted high above the ground
And then said you know this place
And then a smile lit up his face

Standing in a slide zone
Standing in a slide zone

I turned my head and looked below
And there was something there I know
Suddenly I began to fall
I looked around and tried to call

Standing in a slide zone
He had me steppin' in a time zone
Standing in a slide zone
Falling through a time zone

Help me please I thought I said
Then something happened in my head
Music came from all around
And I knew what I had found

Standing in a slide zone
Falling through a time zone
Steppin' in a slide zone
He had me falling through a time zone
(21:40:10) Otto: Memories of the argument he had still plagued his mind even as the terrible elements tried their best to rend him limb from limb.

(21:40:39) Otto: 'Selfish fucker' He thought flatly.[/quote]

(21:41:09) arcanus: As he propels through the void, the golden corona surrounding him is bombarded with silver white particles, like pearls gathering upon his form. This was undoutably the biggest jump Strad and he had attempted so far, the particles threatening to engulf him

(21:41:25) Otto: <TOOK YER FUCKING LONG ENOUGH TO REALISE THAT EH?>

(21:41:56) Otto: <Don't you add to my woes you idiot!> he muttered.

(21:43:23) Otto: <Can we hold?> he asked Strad nervously.

(21:43:46) Otto: Last thing he wanted was a widow and fatherless kids.

(21:44:36) Otto: <Arrgghhhhhh!> The corona pulsed and threw him pell mell through the vortex.

(21:45:17) Otto: 'Worse than the Gnomesis Ride in Corpse Park this!' he thought.

(21:46:20) Otto: 'Fuckin' rip off too!'

(21:46:23) arcanus: <Your almost out of communication range, clarify hold?>

(21:46:44) arcanus: (Make a Spacer roll?)

(21:49:08) arcanus: <Not sure what thats all meant to mean, clarify can we hold?>

(21:49:16) Otto: <Ahh Maker!> Otto's voice began to slur. As with the sheer force of his projection through deep space he began to black out intermittently.

(21:49:26) ChatBot: Otto rolls 3d6 and gets 1,6,4.

(21:51:10) arcanus: <WHAT THE FACK IS ALL THIS BOLLOCKS> roars Sting

(21:52:44) Otto: <Tryna, ascertain tha ver thing ya dick!> he murmured in obvious discomfort, fear and pain.

(21:54:30) Otto: <Wha's happenin'?> he said weakly to Strad.

(21:56:36) arcanus: <Spacial Beam is narrowing due to projection distance, this places extensive etheric stress upon your form>

(21:58:42) Otto: <Arghhhh!> He bellowed. <So that's what it is!> he added sarcastically.

(21:59:12) arcanus: <Do you wish to abort>

(21:59:21) Otto: <NICE TO SEE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOUR IS STILL IN ONE PIECE YA PRICK!>
(22:00:19) Otto: Let the dice decide mate.
(22:00:28) Otto: Will?
(22:00:39) arcanus: (Indeed. Roll)
(22:01:22) ChatBot: Otto rolls 3d6 and gets 3,5,1.
(22:01:36) Otto: <No No keep goin'>

(22:02:05) Otto: <Carn't fuggin' stop now>

(22:03:07) arcanus: <Very well be warned this will likehood hurt>

(22:03:11) arcanus: <A lot>[/quote]

(22:03:42) ChatBot: arcanus rolls 1d6 and gets 2.

(22:03:52) Otto: <Abort, abort! Carn't risk it!>

(22:03:59) ChatBot: arcanus rolls 2d6 and gets 2,6

(22:04:38) Otto: <Need ter plan this afresh..... ABORT!>

(22:04:53) arcanus: (8 points of fatigue, you currently have 14)

(22:05:05) arcanus: <Very well, hang on>

(22:05:27) Otto: Visions of his family blur across his mind like curtains of spider webs in the etheric sky..

(22:06:08) Otto: <YOU ON THE OTHER HAND WON'T BE!>

(22:07:12) Otto: <Shuddafuup!!> he howled in obvious distress as he suddenly emptied his stomach.

(22:08:54) arcanus: Momentarily Otto spied a cylindrical platform made of green glass, some way in the distance. The concentration of pearlescent particles now covered his golden aura which in itself seemed to be degrading, he seemed to be flipped up in direction as the beam whipped and recoiled. He then shot backwards far more rapidly than he'd even travelled in the past.

(22:09:25) arcanus: <FACKIN CHARMIN YOU WANKER>

(22:10:42) Otto: <HAVEN'T YA FIGURED IT YET? I'M YOUR CONSCIENCE! AND YOUR CONSCIENCE ALWAYS HAD A STING!>

(22:11:56) Otto: 'Yaaaaaaa!'Otto screamed in unbridled fear as he was dragged back like a cosmic yo-yo!

(22:14:14) arcanus: He surged through the void, as if plunged into a pool of frigid water, he collasped onto the dias as the golden beams stopped they're rotation, the sphere collasping and steam hissing off his form. The trapdoor swung open and a figure scambled down into the lab, hissing with pain as she touched him, the steam scolding her, never the less she hugged him, tears rolling down her cheeks.

(22:14:43) arcanus: "You stupid stupid stupid man" she sobbed and she clutched him tight, rocking his shaking form

(22:15:52) Otto: 'Oh I'm so sorry darlin' he slurred as he weakly wiped the vomit and blood from his lips where he had bit his tongue badly.

(22:16:08) Otto: 'Stan' back' he warned.

(22:16:52) arcanus: Tentatively she stands and backs away

(22:17:36) Otto: Otto keels over onto his side, destroying the work table and hitting the ground with a thunderclap of sound.

(22:18:43) arcanus: <Miss, he will recover from the Dumpshock, might I suggest a cup of the beverage you call tea>

(22:19:48) Otto: <Leave the prat to stew in his own juices I reckon> Stings voice projected out of the engines vibrations.

(22:20:15) Otto: His voice is strangely normal.]

(22:20:30) arcanus: Amdea gives Strad a cold stare, "This is your fault" she scolds, "I told you to protect him" <Miss I ....>

(22:21:23) arcanus: Amdea dosen't move, instead taking a seat opposite her husbands labouring form

(22:22:58) Otto: <Yer carn't blame the piano lav. It was your 'usbands choice. And ol' ivories ere was doing as e was told!> Stings voice rose in defence of Strad.

(22:23:30) arcanus: She pouts, as he appears to be returning to normal, "Who is that?" she hisses

<I think it's best that 'idiot boy' explains that to you hisself lav, when he comes back from sleepy land.> Sting says as his white noise crackle through the engines suddenly dissipates, and the room reverts to silence with just the laboured breathing of the Xert to disturb the still.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:40 pm

<Analysis of Temporal Journey Data complete>
<Projection Beam Matrix insufficient to achieve spatial landing>
<Analysis of additional complexities complete>
<Quantum Beam strength of Insufficient power output>
<Analysis of additional complexities complete>
<Bombardment of dimensional particles degraded both beam strength and trans-dimensional shield matrix>
<Solution>
<Amplify Beam output strength and transmission>
<Solution>
<Accelerate Aetheric revolution>
<Solution>
<Strengthen dimensional Shielding Matrix>

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Icy wind of night, be gone.
This is not your domain.
In the sky a bird was heard to cry.
Misty morning whisperings and gentle stirring sounds
Belied a deathly silence that lay all around.

Hear the lark and harken to the barking of the dog fox gone to ground.
See the splashing of the kingfisher flashing to the water.
And a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees,
Laughing as it passes through the endless summer making for the sea.

In the lazy water meadow
I lay me down.
All around me,
Golden sun flakes settle on the ground,
Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon,
Bringing sounds of yesterday into this city room.

In the lazy water meadow
I lay me down.
All around me,
Golden sun flakes covering the ground,
Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon,
Bringing sounds of yesterday into my city room.

Grantchester Meadows: Pink Floyd: 1969

‘Pass us another sandwich please lav?’ Otto asked as he stretched his legs out on the well cut grass of Grantchester Meadow, a few miles from Goodlund where he and the family were having a picnic. The weather was gorgeous. It was a perfect warm sunny day with not a cloud in sight. A slight breeze caressed the bullrushes which surrounded the river bank, and drifted over the faces of the Von Weirdigans, and passed into the trees that surrounded the meadow. The sound of birdsong complemented the stillness well, giving the day its completeness the Xert thought.

‘Nobody else around, just the way I like it’. He thought as he watched Raymond, his son of eight casting his cane fishing rod into the slow moving, deep river.

‘I don’t know what to make of this picnic blanket. Somehow, it seems a bit sinister to me.’ Amdea exclaimed as she reached into her pink flowered shoulder bag and brought out a sandwich of freshly baked crusty bread with a deep filling of egg and watercress, which she handed to her husband. ‘Where did you say you got it from again?’ she asked

The blanket was a blood red, with a strange black crooked cross in the middle of it surrounded by a white circle.

‘Some place called ‘Germany’, apparently it’s a sign a of good luck there.’ he said as he took a huge bite from the sandwich.

‘Well that’s alright then.’ She brightened. ‘Where is Dawn?’ she asked.

‘She’s becoming the universes biggest dog chew by the looks of it!’ Otto smiled with his mouth full and pointed over her shoulder to the tree line where their daughter of six was the centre of a tug of war between two very large Acturian Megahounds, whilst another three of the same breed looked on; barking with either enthusiasm or disagreement over the affair. The little girl however, was laughing with abandonment, even though her long white dress was now grass stained and torn.

‘Raz! Anailis, stop it!’ Amdea shouted suddenly as she clapped her hands. This had the effect of firstly making Otto jump, and then the dogs instantly stopping what they were doing and wheeling around to face their mistress. As one they sat down, with doleful looks on their huge faces.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm

‘Aww Maam, we were only playin’!’ Dawn shouted with a Xertheran drawl as she flounced over the grass and sat with a bump on the blanket.

‘I don’t care!’Amdea stormed. ‘Do you know how long it took to make that dress?’ she asked as she leant over and proceeded to brush down and assess the damage to it, much to the consternation of their daughter.

‘You know we can actually afford to get them made for y…..’

‘Don’t you start with that,Otto Von Weirdigan! You know full well I enjoy making clothes for the children.’

Otto winced as if he had been slapped.

‘And very nice they are too dear’ he added as he made covert gestures to Dawn of putting a finger down his throat and rolling his eyes. Naturally Amdea had her back to him.
Dawn sides shook with silent laughter as she grinned at her dad over her mothers shoulder.
Amdea, wary of the silence straightened up and looked quickly at Otto who was nonchalantly nibbling on the remains of his sandwich and peering at the river.

‘Caught anything yet Ray?’ He shouted, hoping that he could avoid the wrath.

‘Not yet.’ A well spoken voice drifted back. ‘And it doesn’t help with you all shouting.’ He said in a measured but irritated tone.

‘Sorry I fucking spoke’ Otto mouthed silently, as he swallowed the last part of the sandwich and began to rummage in his backpack. ‘In that case, I’ve got something here that might help you Son.’ He announced as he produced three sticks of what clearly was dynamite out of the side pocket.

‘Yay!’ Dawn enthused and wriggled away from her mother and began to jump up and down in excitement. ‘We’re playin’ Frogbursters!’

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Interdimensional Campaign of The Third Snowdon Fusiliers

Post by arcanus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 pm

The Township of Goodlund - Gothica – 1876
Extended empires are like expanded gold, exchanging solid strength for feeble splendour.
-Samuel Johnson

Town Constable Mayweather looked beyond the perimeter stone wall anxiously, he was shivering with fear, fear of the unknown as he looked at the thick blue fog that shrouded the river.
The boathouses were invisible, however what worried him were the strange shapes moving in the fog, big shapes.

Mayor Cornwell had locked himself in his house, terrified the Mushu were coming, especially after the dragon or Lung as Otto had called it, attacked months ago.
A damp sweat layered his skin and made the still cotton and wool of his uniform itchy, he looked along the ramparts at the town militia all shivering and watching their own cold breaths.

Northern Goodlund Farmsteads
Erean Whisk crept through the rougher scrub at the edge of Farmer Podges grazing fields, he squinted trying to see through the pea soup fog that covered the countryside for miles around.
It was irritating he couldn’t very well hunt rabbits in this, but if he didn’t he wouldn’t have any supper.

His attention was drawn from the trail of droppings he was following to the echoing moo of the cattle within the fields, they didn’t like the fog either.

He moved on, looking for a fresh burrow hopefully a buck or doe had sheltered just inside, then he heard the heavy thud, a sound very much like a cow falling over.

He stopped and waited, fear and uncertainty gripping him now, he was sure his ears were playing tricks on him, as he heard a swishing noise, of something long and thin sweeping through the fog.
Then it happened again, he rolled into a shallow ditch, wincing as he struck his ear on a granite boulder, then quickly shuffling himself in behind it in an effort to make himself as small as possible.

Something long and thin swept over the top of him and then another one, his eyes opened in fear as he realised that these were legs, great long spidery legs as another pair strode over him, through the fog he could see eyes glowing a fiery orange searching the landscape.

His heart stopped as he prayed the thing wouldn’t turn around and look at him, his legs felt damp and warm where he’d pee’d himself, several more of the things strode through the fog past him until all was silent again.

An hour must have passed before Erean had enough courage to dislodge himself from his boulder and ran as fast as his legs could carry him home.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 am

Goodlund - Gothica
<Temporal Fix Acquired>
<Flux Compensated>
<Boosting signal strength>
<Warp Gate Initiated, sending probe to Quantum Coordinates>

Amdea frowned, the children were in bed although she suspected that Ray was sneakily reading, bespite lights out.
Her consternation was due to the lights flickering and the vibrations originating from the cellar, even when her husband was away his machinations continued.

She shook her head, the whole town was on edge strange things seemed to be prowling its perimeters at night, livestock slaughtered, farmers deserting their properties.

Momentarily the air seemed to be sucked from her lungs, her breathlessness was ended by a muffled whumphing sound.

Epping - Etheria I
Otto Von Weirdigan had secured a spare study 'Spare study' he mentally chuckled 'How many houses have a spare study'!
Xertherus still eluded him, his theory was that it was hidden unlike the Worlds to which he now jumped, in order to first locate and then get home he would need a plentiful quantity of Ofskiosium.

His cerebral display lit up, a familiar signal one he hadn't seen in several weeks 'Strad!'

Goodlund - Gothica
In the small hours of the morning, the noise started again, as a Golden Vortex opened upon the Warp Dias.
The probe resembling a large disc shaped mechanical beetle, tumbled from the rift, its surface smoking and rapidly shedding a coating of silvery particles.

<Entropic levels disipating>
<Attempt 149 Unsuccessful>
<Attempt 150 Unsuccessful>
<Attempt 151 Unsuccessful>
<Attempt 152 Successful Subject located>
<Temporal scan complete>
<Component registered, Quantum location close>
<15 Hours required for energy regeneration>
<Initiate Countdown>
<Compose communication burst>
<Commencing>

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Epping - Etheria I

<Strad, is that you? How are things?> Otto asked with an air of concern and trepidation, as he had strictly programmed the difference engine only to contact him in emergency situations.

He sat down carefully on a wooden chair and waited impatiently for the response, tapping his fingers rythmically on the large desk that dominated the small room. Plans and documents of which Otto had been the author, were strewned about the work space and accross the garishly green and white tiled floor.

Other pages, consisting of star maps, and astrological diagrams (to the un-initiated) appeared to be randomly stuck to the walls, the documents nearly concealed all of the old chipped lime paintwork. It was obvious to all that he hadn't fallen in love with the decor!

But the only thing that seemed to be in order in the room was a sepia picture of his family in a classic Gothican wooden frame, hung on the back of the pokey rooms door. It had been placed there so the others couldn't see the evidence of the Xerthuran's softer side.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Interdimensional Campaign of The Third Snowdon Fusiliers

Post by arcanus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Gothica – 1876
The carriage bounced along the road, one that became increasingly more like a dirt track the further South they ventured.
Treasurer Martelh Hangrief dabbed at his forehead with his now sodden silk hankerchief, he furtively glanced out across the southern moors, distantly he could see Mechanist Ariel Dreadnaughts patrolling, arcane fires burning within their steel bellys.

However they weren’t protecting Goodlund, as he became accustomed to the jostling of the carriages high speed transit his mind revisited his meeting in the Capitol.

Various envoys of the Frontier towns had arrived within The City of Iron and made their way to the Palace of War, Upminster floating above The Flame River.
The meeting of several hundred yokel delegates was a heated one, with the Ministry accused of negligence in protecting the towns, for the Ministries part they were unrelenting quoting the crisis of war and sacrifices.

Hangrief however had hoped that Goodlunds distinct reputation and that of its benefactor would carry some wait and indeed encouragingly Lord General Welvern had agreed to meet him.

The generals office was situated within the higher alcoves of the floating fortress, a cold place although the severe pale officer didn’t seem to feel it at all.
Its decoration was stark, and quite a surprise to Hangrief of bare stone castle like walls with the occasional painting of a battle or ornamental weapon on display, not the opulence he had imagined of the ruling elite of the Mechanist Empire.

“Mr Hangrief I have little time, what concerns you?” the Lord General had asked
“I do appreciate your making time sir and I do appreciate the officers comments on the state of affairs from the previous meeting, however Goodlund stands upon the main tributary of the Serpent River, strategically it has always been a target due to its value?”
“Which is why you have a small garrison there Mr Hangrief!” replied the general pointedly
“Well yes there is that, however the garrisons strength is now a little over a quarter of its starting strength and now manned by boys, with the recent visitations their more scared that the townsfolk their meant to be protecting!” he replied
The Lord Generals face grew stony
“I was hoping that the garrison could be reinforced” he added tentatively
“Mr Hangrief whereabouts all of our settlements and towns are vitally important we are currently under siege, an enemy that only attacks upon the oceans or by surprise from the air, the cowards won’t meet us on the plain of battle and they will and when they do we will be ready, to that end every available resource is dedicated to protecting strategic sites of importance and hunting the attackers”
“I “ mumbled Hangrief before being cowed
“The people of Adracia must toughen up Mr Hangrief they’ve had it too soft for too long, a few scant years ago the people of Goodlund staved off countless Horde attacks now they bleat about insufficient numbers, you must stand up for the good of your town and your nation now Mr Hangrief”
“I take it that’s a no then Lord General?” he replied wearily
“Perhaps your benefactor should be playing a greater part in the defence of your town Mr Hangrief, good day!”

So now at great haste they sped back to Goodlund and straight towards the house of Doctor Spindle.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Epping - Etheria I
He had returned to his calculations and studies after receiving no reply from the increasingly enigmatic machine of his, although it had occurred to him to be his headware.

The evening drew in, with his lordship and Raz having gone out, darkness settling over the woodland to the rear of the house and rolling fields to the front.

He had barely noticed the transition from day to night, a winter darkness thick and velvety, stretching his cramped back muscles his headware flared again, this time a very definite signal.
<Where> he mentally ordered, his cranial systems already triangulating
The data response made him screw up his face in confusion, but never the less he leapt to his feet, ignored the protest of the suffering floorboards and ran outside.

If it hadn’t been a clear night he might have missed it, but distantly a mere pinprick in the night sky, he saw the familiar corona of circular golden lines of light, a flare and then pulse of interspatial energy.
Then it was falling, descending a long way, his arcanoware now locked and tracking, the object had rapidly reached terminal velocity, he hoped it wouldn’t strike the house!

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Otto scans the object during its descent, what does it contain, and where is it going to land?
Computer use of 10

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 am

Otto wrote:Otto scans the object during its descent, what does it contain, and where is it going to land?
Ottos headware engages too full capacity, triangulating velocity, windsheer and rate of descent.

'Bugger' he mentally cursed, 'Unless the wind changes straight for Is Lordships roof'
Arcanus wrote:Composition is difficult to ascertain its contents.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:10 am

Otto will attempt to take control of the falling object as I am assuming that it would have some guidance systems that he himself has implemented in the past?
Computer use 9
Pilot: 11

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am

Otto wrote:
Otto will attempt to take control of the falling object as I am assuming that it would have some guidance systems that he himself has implemented in the past?
Computer use 9
Pilot: 11
Initially the object is unresponsive, however after mentally batting the device it finally responds, a small rocket flares at its top.
Mentally wrestling with its turbulent descent it finally streamlines and pulls up from its dive, taking a chimney pot off a stack but missing the slate roof and impaling itself in the grounds not far from Ottos feet.

The object is one of Otto's carrier pods, its rocket like exterior interlaced with golden circuitry.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 am

Tramping over the debris of the red brick chimney, Otto tentatively walks over to the surprisingly large smoking crater the pod had created in a once pretty flower bed.

The reek of burning sulphur and ozone, coupled with the smell of burnt grass and plant life assaulted his olfactory sensors. He quickly computes to see if any harmful gasses had been produced on the pods extremely long journey.
Physics 12
Chemistry 15
He knew that it would be at least an hour until the pod had cooled enough to move, and at least double that to even open it. His impatience and worry came to the fore, but to speed up the pods cooling process was to invite destruction to whatever important information it carried.

To kill time, Otto started to run a probability study on what could be urgent enough for Strad to send a message across time and space in this manner. He began to access all data that he had corrolated on Gothica, namely the conflict which was far from over there.
Computer 7

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Analysis revealed no harmful gasses or components, other than interspatial particles which were rapidly diluting into the atmosphere.

The conflict on Gothica had grown to somewhat of a stalemate, after the dragon attack things had settled to strained normality.
So Stradts decision to track and contact Otto, was somewhat puzzling.

Artemis Pitts watched the strange goings on upon the front lawn with some degree of consternation, the Masters Valet Samuel Brocklesbury had advised him that his companions were trusted individuals of vital importance to the Masters concerns.

That said he did wonder what the somewhat rude one was doing on the front lawn, in the flower beds no less.

After a length of time he returned to the house, encountering Pitts on the way in and cautioned him to ‘Not go near the flower beds’, Pitts was somewhat at a loss, although the warning had been stern.

A sign of resignation spurred him back into his Duties, that was until after an hour he noticed him stalk back out to the flower beds, pull something from the ground and once again return to the house.

Artemis Pitts shook his head, this really was highly improper behaviour and very difficult for a man of stalwart character to ignore, with that he hurried off to ensure that none of the servants were distracted by these events.

Otto stood the now cooled pod upon his current desk, shaking soil from his hands.

His touch activated its circuitry and arcane light flashed in a pattern, the unit restacked itself into a pyramid like shape and linked with his headware.

<Message for Von Weirdigan, Otto>
<Reason One>
<Completing previous request from creator>
<Request – Notification of Skitter completion>
<Detail – Zorin Industries have confirmed completion of unit one to
Your specifics, test one complete of dispatching and return of Scout Unit>
<Appendum – Best Wishes your friend Zorin>
<Reason two>
<14 day location of Creator>
(Requestor – Amdea Von Weirdigan>
<Detail – Just checking you are safe and well>
<End>

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 pm

“Here will do” shouted Von Weirdigan, having just caught sight of his intended destination.
It was more of a guess based on triangulating Raz’s beacon with a map of London, but it was less than precise, he’d hoped that some of his Mana had carried with Raz’s ritual allowing him to identify it.
He abruptly paid the Hanson driver before turning back to the twilight settling over cobbled streets, curiously this World used a heleograph type of system ahead of radio, even now news was streaming across the city to public speakers in gentleman's clubs and public houses that the fighting from within St Giles Rookery had spilled out onto Piccadilly Circus, with a wild west style shootout occurring along Oxford Street.

He shook his head and twitched, his nerves were on fire from the mana pulse something had gone amiss with his ritual broadcasting, the arcane matrix had collapsed and now his neural pathways were ablaze.

The trips across the swashbuckling world and his studies here had not been without some success, he was beginning to interpret the energies originating between Worlds into real space, coordinates were now becoming clear.

Casting around he allowed a moment for his headache to recede and his mental pursuance to realign, as it did he spied something that may be a lead.

A little lighter in step he avoided the carriages hurrying to and fro and jogged across the road, he spotted a coalescence of arcane energies circulating around a wrought iron arch, which led into the garden of a large brownstone townhouse.

<I think I've found something> he thought spoke
~Hang on we’re not far away~ replied the songster

Otto took up a position against the lamp post adjacent but out of sight of the arch, progress at last. He frowned as his spectral sight relayed motes of red light collecting up and down his arms and torso, his face now contorted in anger he looked up to see streams of red energy feeding into the arch way.
<Shit> he mentally swore
~Otto what’s wrong~ sang Raz, he received no reply

Otto strained his vision a similar lattice of power had enfolded around him to that which he’d constructed in the Church, to his senses this washed the Cotswold stone walls of the perimeter an eerie blue.
His surroundings blurred, he strained against a tension that now grew between him and the archway, trying to pull him in, he was struggling, a cold realisation dawned upon Otto, the misfire from earlier had filled him with the very energy now fueling the archway.

Those residents of North London out for an evening stroll, happened upon a curious occurrence. A heavy set man lent against a lamppost suddenly leapt across the pavement and into the garden of a townhouse.
Should it have occurred to any of the strollers to see whether the man was alright, they would have discovered that he had seemed to have vanished into thin air.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 pm

London
A sensation similar to breathing all of the air from his lungs and then taking a fresh breath calmed Otto Von Weirdigan, as the rogue mana was purged from his structure.
His arrival had shattered the cobbles beneath his mithrilium frame, bleary he looked around, the streets looked the same, however the sky was dark, the gas lamps all dark.

As he started to get his bearings he spied rubble upon the road, broken glass within the windows of the houses and fire damage.

Strolling cautiously up the road he also observed that there were no signs of life, he realised that the skyline was illuminated orange by flames.
His cranialware flared, strange communication crossed his pathways.

‘What the hell is that’ he thought, a creaking noise drew his attention and caution, quickly ducking into a nearby doorway, he saw a huge silhouette pass across the rooftops.
Infravision flicked on revealing a wide crab like shell, elevated on top of three 100 foot tall legs, extending from the front of the shell flicked a series of tentacles, several of which carried a camera like device.

The entire walker was made from a dull silvery metal, he could see heat emanating from the camera, his vision showed thermal beams sweeping the ground and buildings before it.

‘Bugger’ mentally hissed Otto Von Weirdigan

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm

North London
<WOT THE FACK IS ALL THAT NATTERING> roared a belligerent Sting from within the recesses of Otto’s headware
<Stop shouted you nob> snarled Otto mentally, however the walker stopped, the flattened shell or cabin slowly rotating, looming ominously above the rooftops.

His thermo picked up traces of rising heat playing along the cobbles, which began to shine with temperature <YOU NOISY TWAT> Otto mentally barked, for a rare change Sting remained silent.

The wooden sills of the houses began to smolder and blacken
‘200 C not hot enough to set fire, but hot enough to be uncomfortable’ he thought

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 pm

They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the virgin's birth
I remember one Christmas morning
A winters light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that Christmas tree smell
And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a silent night
And they told me a fairy story
'till I believed in the Israelite
And I believed in Father Christmas
And I looked at the sky with excited eyes
'till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave new year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
Hallelujah Noel, be it heaven or hell
The Christmas you get you deserve

Emerson, Lake and Palmer 1977

'I'm pretty sure that this isn't a vengeful bell ringers club representative' thought Otto grimly as he gazed with curiosity and amazement in the machine that towered above him.

Self preservation kicked in his headware HUD, detected the ambient heat around him rose rapidly to dangerous levels, probably from the strange camera like device the machine carried.
Scanning rapidy around, he attempts to find a safe spot to hole up and plan his next move.
Spot of 9
Also, I'm interested to know what Sting was talking about when he mentioned 'Nattering'? First,mask his etheric signature and location and scan the ether for any strange communications.
Computer Use of 11

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:32 am

“Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic,
regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.”
― H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds

Otto wrote:'I'm pretty sure that this isn't a vengeful bell ringers club representative' thought Otto grimly as he gazed with curiosity and amazement in the machine that towered above him.

Self preservation kicked in, as his headware HUD detected the ambient heat around him rising rapidly to dangerous levels, probably from the strange camera like device the machine carried.
Otto wrote:Scanning rapidly around, he attempts to find a safe spot to hole up and plan his next move.
Otto wrote:Spot of 9
Arcanus wrote:The safest area of cover would be one of the houses your sheltering in the doorway of!
Otto wrote:Also, I'm interested to know what Sting was talking about when he mentioned 'Nattering'? First,mask his etheric signature and location and scan the ether for any strange communications.
Arcanus wrote:(Substituted the Computer for an Electronic Operations - Communications roll)
Your fairly sure he's referring to the strange gibberish being transmitted on the airwaves at the moment.
Otto starts as the adjacent wooden window sill pops, as the air within it explosively expands under the invisible heat from the camera like device, the walkers cabin is now moving from side to side sweeping the device up and down the street.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:42 pm

With a blur of speed Otto attempts to dash in the opposite direction to where the walking machine is 'looking' and concentrating it's heat camera.
Swift Strider of 10
He stays close to the buildings along the street as he runs to a house or shop that is not bearing the brunt of this strange weaponry, when he see's a safer house he will either dive through a window or barge the door down. Whatever is quicker!
He will also attempt to lock onto the machine with his etheric range finder, using it as a signal locator.
Etheric Range Finder: of 4 (crit!)
With his headband of Mental Awareness he will lock onto the 'gibberish', but will enter some shielding so he cannot be tracked or attacked through it.
Electronics Operation Comms: Another crit of 4!
Have I a map of the city in my headware memory?

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Otto wrote:With a blur of speed Otto attempts to dash in the opposite direction to where the walking machine is 'looking' and concentrating it's heat camera..
Speeding up the street Otto accelerates towards a grocery shop, smashing into its sturdy door which gives way as Otto's weight collides with it.
His digital senses pick up a high pitched hissing preceding the combustion of air, wood, glass and brick, the invisible beam seeming to escalate in temperature by several thousand degrees instantly.

Vaulting over the counter, Otto is able to get is bearings and interrogate the data streaming into his headware from the Etheric stratum.
His Etheric Range Finger easily acquires the Tripod, his analysis identifying the occupants method of communication as encrypted microwave radio, a simple process of shielding himself from their transmissions.
Arcanus wrote:You have a version of a map of Victorian London in your headware.

arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by arcanus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:50 pm

As Otto interprets the data his now established Etheric net is disturbed, further mechanical forms closing on his location.

Otto
Solo
Solo

Post by Otto » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Otto, with a shivering twinge of fear and realisation, attempts to shut down his etheric link as he dashes through to the back room of the shop, scattering food and sundries in his haste to find an exit.
Electronics Comms of 7
As the link hopefully begins to break, he swiftly assesses the distance on the other forms moving in on his position.
Electronics Comms of 12
As a parting shot, hoping to disorientate them, he attempts to send an etheric 'scream' prior to shut down which may buy him some time.
Computer Hacking, Programming 15
'If Raz can do it, surely I can!' he thinks in desperation as he looks around for a route of escape.