IC - Axis Umbra Drakus

Journeys into the Realms Arcane to be detailed here.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

Post Reply
User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Full Metal Jacket - Drakes Quest Fall 2057

Post by arcanus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 am

Frank Drake stood within the workshop, an old stone floor stained by numerous leaks of motor oil, thick steel chains hung from pulleys.
It was hard to tell how large the room was or indeed if it ended at all, as it was enshrouded in considerable shadow and areas of darkness.

Drake's Quest was his most ambitious yet, in order to bring himself closer to the 'Gagglepus' he was constructing a suit of armour, one step closer to living metal.
However enemies were all around, even undertaking this was a risk, what is someone discovered his warehouse and more worryingly the 'Ball'.
He had to hide the magics that would be incorporated within the suit, ensure its construction was as competant as humanly, or gnomanly possible as any less would be an insult to his new found god.

Held within Frank's left hand were two silver threads 'This would not be easy' he thought to himself, the first aim of his Quest also meant that he was one hand down!
'Here goes'

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 am

"Here goes" thought the gnome to himself, "Now, I have these couple of threads, and I need to lose them in the 'planes... So i need a door of some sort perhaps?"

That plan seemed as good as any, so with a wave of his free hand he started to build a door in the middle of the vast workshop.

Slowly long pieces of metal floated from the shadows to form a crude door frame, which gradually filled with rusty, mottled flat bit of metal.

Within half an hour the solid metal gnome-sized door and frame stood in the midst of the dark workship.

Frank walked up to the crude handle, clutched the 2 fine silver theads, and closed his eyes.

He pulled the heavy door, which creaked and screeched as metal moved over metal, and stepped thorugh...

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Drake found himself stepping into what appeared to be the bowels of a ship or factory, a tunnel of pipes, stopcocks, valves, oil and most of all inky darkness.
Carrying the threads he cautiously makes his way through the shadows, slivers of light illuminating wisps of vapour.
GM wrote:Make a Perception+Intuition Roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:48 pm

GM wrote:Make a Perception+Intuition Roll?
Perception + Intuition: 9 8 7 (3 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Drake wrote:Perception + Intuition: 9 8 7 (3 Hits)
Although he couldn't quite put his finger upon it, Drake felt that he might not be alone!

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Using his size to his advantage, the small gnome ducked under nearby pipes and made his way into the maze of metal. He wrapped the silver threads around his arm a few times, to make sure they wouldn't fall, and crawled on his hands and knees under pipes, over gantries, trying to make it very hard for whatever was in here to follow him.
He knew he needed to find another door to another realm, but how many would he need to traverse before the spell threads were indeed 'hidden'?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:26 pm

Drake wrote:He knew he needed to find another door to another realm, but how many would he need to traverse before the spell threads were indeed 'hidden'?
Drake knew that the door was there somewhere, upon the edge of his hearing he could just pick up small skittering noises.
Tremors of panic flowed through him, picking up his pace, 'where the hell was it!'
Looking down the pipe corridor he could make out small, jagged shapes, blades skittering across old concrete floors, getting closer and closer.
GM wrote:Make a Willpower+Intuition roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm

GM wrote:Make a Willpower+Intuition roll?
Willpower+Intuition: 7 7 5 5 5 5 5 (7 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Swallowing down his growing fear, Drake allowed his 'Other' senses to cast out, keeping a wary eye upon the scissor figures he shot his hand into a nest of pipes, allowing his Magic to guide him he found it.

Cranking the lever down, a circular man-hole like hatch swung open, as sharp legs scurried in pursuit he tumbled through the gateway to another place.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:56 pm

If the little fella does indeed tumble into a new realm and finds himself airborne, he'll knock out a quick levitate to control his descent.
Will Frank need to continue traversing realms until he reaches the Citadel? Or is there something he must do to help with the suit construction? (Which was the other part of the quest)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Drake wrote:Will Frank need to continue traversing realms until he reaches the Citadel? Or is there something he must do to help with the suit construction? (Which was the other part of the quest)
Arcanus wrote:For the first part of his Quest he will, then he'll have to undertake a task or 3.
Make a Body+Athletics (If you have it, if not just body) roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Arcanus wrote:For the first part of his Quest he will, then he'll have to undertake a task or 3.
Make a Body+Athletics (If you have it, if not just body) roll?
Just a Body it is: 11 5 5 3 3 (4 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Drake gulps in some air, as he's suddenly plunged into greenish waters, his cheeks balloon and his lungs expand.
Just as he begins to get his bearings and tread water, he see's that he's within some big metal tank.
A grey metallic hand reaches past him and grabs hold of the threads!!

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

"Graaa! Sblllpt!!" yells Frank as he spits the dirty water out, then watches in amazement as the hand grabs the threads.

The tank is dark and the hand's owner is at the moment unseen, but Frank is in someone of a pickle. He has no offensive spells to fire at the hand!

His only option is to get closer to the head. Fortunately, the head is where the hand is travelling, and the little figure is hoisted clear of the water as the metal arm, clutching the spell threads, moves into the darkness.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Hoisted by the form, Frank is once again pulled down into the murky depths of the tank, this time he is pulled deeper into the haze of the bottom.
His dreads floating, he feels both his cheeks and lungs prepare to explode with the effort of retaining breathable air.
Turning to see his assailant his eyes widen as he looks upon an armoured mercreature, thrashing around he see's more of the creatures bucking through the water in a similar vertical fashion to a dolphin or whale.
Unsmiling metal faces similar to a knights helm close upon his position as the original thief throws Drake around attempting to loosen his grip.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 am

Frank tries to tell himself that he doesn't need air, being in an astral realm, but he has trouble beleiving himself!

Now he can see the 'face' of the thief he has a target. Frank swings a punch with his tiny arm through the water. The punch releases his Enhanced Movement spell that should whip the things head back so fast it should at the very least release it's grip, if not snap it's head clean off!
Enhanced Movement: 7 5 5 5 4 (4 Hits)
Drain: 7 7 5 5 5 5 5 (7 hits, i think drain is 6 - taken)
Also put up Initiate Shielding. If the thief releases his grip, Frank will cast another movement on himself to shoot up out of the water.
Movement: 7 7 6 5 5 5 (6 Hits)
Drain: 12 9 5 5 5 (6 Hits - taken)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:30 am

Like a humanoid torpedo Frank Drake watches as the mechanised mercreature is thrust backwards by the spell, spinning uncontrollably through the water until it impacts with the tanks walls.
A circular column of water rotates behind Frank propelling him through the murk, the other creatures weaving to catch him up.
GM wrote:One block of stun!
Make a perception+logic roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:01 am

GM wrote:One block of stun!
Make a perception+logic roll?
Perception+Logic: 6 5 5 (3 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 am

Drake wrote:Perception+Logic: 6 5 5 (3 Hits)
GM wrote:Also make a Magic Theory+Metallurgy roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 am

GM wrote:Also make a Magic Theory+Metallurgy roll?
Magic Theory+Metallurgy: 8 5 (2 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:26 am

Propelling himself forwards, Drake set himself upon a collision course with the tank wall, the mermechs hot on his tail, at the last moment he swerved into a large tube, a wave of his hand and another hatch swung open and through he went.
GM wrote:Make a Body+Magic roll?
Rolling into an upward stance Drake found himself looking at a grey cloudy sky, the smell of acid and metal all around him, taking in his surroundings he found himself to be standing upon a construction that appeared to be someway between a drilling rig and citedal.
Lightning crashed between ionized clouds, looking into the sea hundreds of feet below he saw a thick layer of poisonous tin coloured pollution floating upon the surface.

A clanking, stretching sound drew Frank from his thoughts, slowly turning he saw his assailant it had a man like shape but made from braids of thick black rubber hose, where its hands would be instead were flails of razor wire.
'Oh boy' thought Frank

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 am

GM wrote:Make a Body+Magic roll?
Body + Magic: 18 13 13 10 5 (10 Hits!)
GM wrote:A clanking, stretching sound drew Frank from his thoughts, slowly turning he saw his assailant it had a man like shape but made from braids of thick black rubber hose, where its hands would be instead were flails of razor wire.
'Oh boy' thought Frank
Quickly taking in the surroundings, are there any oil-rig type machines around, or a working drill or anything?
Frank is looking for anything that is big with exposed machinery, something that he could insert the razor wire fingers into to trap the guardian. Any large cogs, drill heads, or anything like that around?
(Physical Barrier spell would be useful here...)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 am

Drake wrote:Quickly taking in the surroundings, are there any oil-rig type machines around, or a working drill or anything?
Frank is looking for anything that is big with exposed machinery, something that he could insert the razor wire fingers into to trap the guardian. Any large cogs, drill heads, or anything like that around?
Looking about Drake spies a number of heavy machines, grinders and drilling frames.
Arcanus wrote:I'll add the Barrier Spell to his list.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 pm

As this 'being' could be a bit dangerous, Frank decides the best course of action would be to disable it.

He casts up another big spell, aiming to move all the razor wire fingers at once towards one of the large exposed cogs and jam them in the workings, but it's going to need to be a big one to overcome the creatures strength, hence the addition of his Edge dice (all 4 of the feckers!)
Magic + Sorcery + GoI + Edge: 11 10 9 8 7 5 5 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 (10 Hits)
Drain: 5 5 4 (Oh dear, only 2 hits, that makes it a serious!)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Drake staggers from the wieght of his accumulating wounds and fatigue, with a sweep of his hand the huge constructs wire flails are yanked across to the grinding wheels of a large ominous section of machinery. Its strength is collosal, its confusion greater as the magics wielded by the little man prove stronger, not only dragging it along but also rolling the grinders forwards with its flail within.

The construct struggles as the battle ends with it being trapped, yanking at its now pinned appendages.
By this time Drake has stopped concentrating upon it, his head swimming as he shakes the throbbing sensation from it.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:42 pm

"Move it Franky" he mutters to himself as his head and body protest. He stumbles off heading forward, moving past the entangled creature, staying well out of it's reach he moves into the middle of the the huge construction.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:01 pm

In the middle Drake see's an old industrial cage lift awaits him!

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 pm

He's come too far to stop now, so in he staggers before sitting down on the floor and wishing he had a healing spell...

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:40 pm

Drake pressed on, sitting in the lift and with a gesture sent the cage down.
Its descended into the bowels of the platform, through dimmly lit shafts, occasionally seeing a level, all of which looked industrialised to a degree.
Ever so often he would catch a glimpse of a shape moving in the shadows of one of the levels.

The lift stopped, wearily Drake stood and then staggered back from his shock, the cager had descended to stop in mid-air suspended by a series of tenuous cables.
The other thing that worried Frank even more was his inability to magically connect with anything within the great chamber, suggesting that either his magic didn't work or was hampered in some way.

The cavern in which he was suspended was a large dome like affair, its cathedral like roof fashioned from what appeared to be thick iron plates with rivets as large as a mans head.
The floor resembled an emense camera shutter, with a thin surrounding area of metal floor, indicating a hatch of some desciption.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Are there any buttons or controls in the lift?

How far above the segmented 'lens' is the cage?

And finally, looking up, do the spell threads disappear up into the lift shaft?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Drake wrote:Are there any buttons or controls in the lift?
Arcanus wrote:There are, however they appear to have lowered you as low as they will go!
Drake wrote:How far above the segmented 'lens' is the cage?
Arcanus wrote:About 200 feet.
Drake wrote:And finally, looking up, do the spell threads disappear up into the lift shaft?
Arcanus wrote:They do indeed!

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Drake wrote:And finally, looking up, do the spell threads disappear up into the lift shaft?
Arcanus wrote:They do indeed!
What happens if Frank gently pulls on the spell threads? Do they give out slack?
If so, can he gently pull out 200-ish feet of slack on the silver threads? He already knows they can hold his weight as they did so in the tank, and there are 2 astral spell threads from quite powerful spells...

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Drake wrote:If so, can he gently pull out 200-ish feet of slack on the silver threads? He already knows they can hold his weight as they did so in the tank, and there are 2 astral spell threads from quite powerful spells...
Arcanus wrote:Make a Metaskill(Metamagic)+Edge (5) roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:04 pm

Arcanus wrote:Make a Metaskill(Metamagic)+Edge (5) roll?
What would the Metaskill/Metamagic be? Don't have that recorded anywhere...

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:26 pm

Drake wrote:What would the Metaskill/Metamagic be? Don't have that recorded anywhere...
GM wrote:Yours would be 3 :D

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Arcanus wrote:Make a Metaskill(Metamagic)+Edge (5) roll?
Metaskill/magic: 5 (A meagre 1 Hit)

Permission to Jim's Law?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Drake wrote:
Arcanus wrote:Make a Metaskill(Metamagic)+Edge (5) roll?
Metaskill/magic: 5 (A meagre 1 Hit)

Permission to Jim's Law?
GM wrote:Permission granted

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Arcanus wrote:Make a Metaskill(Metamagic)+Edge (5) roll?
Metaskill/magic: 8 8 5 (3 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Possibly an area that Frank Drake hadn't looked into in enough detail previously his control of Metamagical forces, the very fabric of magic itself, nether the less he extended his power into the Threads, at first it was a struggle.
Then slowly he felt the connection, the patterns of the spells stirring and fortifying their MetaPlanar form of strands, as this occured he began to unravel them, winding them together as hundreds of feet spooled at his feet.

Drake sighed a heavy sigh of relief.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm

"Phew..." muttered a slightly sweaty and knackered gnome. He gathered up the excess and allowed it to fall from the cage to the floor below, then wrapping the silver threads around his tiny waist he fashioned a crude abseil harness.

The threads were pulled tight, both arms holding the threads extended above him. To control his descent he would lower one arm, decreasing the friction around his waist and allowing the thread to slip around him. If ever he felt he was losing control, or going too fast, all he had to do was raise the 'brake' arm and the friction would increase, slowing the slipping threads.

He had done this a thousand times during his military training, but this felt like the first time as he lowered himself over the edge of the cage door, and started to descend on his own spell threads...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest