IC - Axis Umbra Drakus

Journeys into the Realms Arcane to be detailed here.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:13 pm

GM wrote:Make a Magic+Agility roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 am

GM wrote:Make a Magic+Agility roll?
Magic + Agility: 10 10 5 5 5 (7 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Drake wrote:Magic + Agility: 10 10 5 5 5 (7 Hits)
GM wrote:Make a Magic+Body Roll?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:20 pm

GM wrote:Make a Magic+Body Roll?
Magic + Body: 8 7 7 5 5 5 5 (7 Hits).
Frank is feeling exhausted after the recent battles, casting, and finally an abseil, but he must push on. Must try and ignore the fatigue and continue.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 pm

A single minded determination settles over Frank Drake, swallowing any shred of fear he arranges his rig of Magical Cords and lowers himself down the huge drop.
As he nears the bottom 20 feet, he feels the line slacken above, not even looking up to confirm what he already knew, he kicked his old parascending basic training into gear and rolled through the air, along the ground and to a standing position, without so much as a bruise.
Frank allowed himself a moment to grin in a smug fashion as the thread spooled at the floor before him.

He looked up at the vast domed chamber and then inspected the floor, the huge iris like apeture of some ancient slr camera.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Frank didn't know what was hidden beneath the iris, but he knew he didn't want to be trapped in the middle if it should open.
Gathering up the coiled spell threads he starts quickly making his way to the side of the large chamber, hoping to find some controls, or another door, or something!

Maybe this iris is the door? Maybe he needs to put the ends of the thread through the iris then close it up? That would make them pretty safe.

After a short while he comes to the large, rusted metal walls of this immense room.
Have a look for any markings, or writing or any symbols...

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Drake wrote:Have a look for any markings, or writing or any symbols..
Looking at the chamber Drake noticed that two columns of meter high symbols sat upon the wall, each the same tone and the wall itself as to be invisible without close inspection.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:05 am

"Aye aye" mutters Frank as he makes his way closer to the markings, "This looks more like it..". His mutterings more to keep himself company than anything else.

Stopping before the markings he cranes his neck to take them all, then mentally cycles through all his different areas of expertise, looking for a meaning.
Symbols of metal?
Logic + Metallurgy: 5 5 5 5 4 4 2 2 (4 Hits)
Gang-type graffiti?
Logic + Street Smart: 5 4 3 2 2 (1 Hit)
Navigation/Star Charts?
Logic + Navigation: 8 5 5 5 4 2 2 (4 Hits)
Anything else?
Logic + ... um, Logic: 10 8 5 5 4 4 3 (5 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Arcanus wrote:The symbols are as follows:
Au
Ag
C
Cu
Fe
I
Pb
Sn

You will have to work out what they mean and no you can't use a dice roll, useful links:
http://wiki.dumpshock.com/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.wikipedia.org/
Have fun :twisted:

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Arcanus wrote:The symbols are as follows:
Off the top of my head...

Au : Gold
Ag : Silver
C : Bronze
Cu : Copper
Fe : Iron
I :
Pb : Lead
Sn


But I'll verify
:D

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:02 am



Au : Gold
Ag : Silver
C : Carbon
Cu : Copper
Fe : Iron
I : Iodine
Pb : Lead
Sn : Tin


Although technically, of course, Iodine is non-metallic :lol:

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 pm

Drake wrote:Au : Gold
Ag : Silver
C : Carbon
Cu : Copper
Fe : Iron
I : Iodine
Pb : Lead
Sn : Tin
Although technically, of course, Iodine is non-metallic :lol:
Arcanus wrote:So Mr Drake what does it all mean :?:

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Drake stands in silence scratching his chin, deep in thought.
His mind cycles through his various areas of expertise.
It is a list of metals, he's sure of that, but what do they mean?
They're not spell ingredients, or the composition of an alloy. They are just simple metals. In fact, they are some of the simplest metals, the first to be discovered. Is that what this is about? Discovery? But discovering what... in fact, part of this quest is about not discovering things, ie the spell threads, he wants them to be hidden, but also needs to reveal the methods of improving his suit design.

But what relevance does this list have?

He sits on the cold metal floor to continue his pondering.

Gold and Silver. First and Second traditionally, but then no Bronze for third.. instead there's Carbon.

But, Bronze is an alloy made up from other metals, and this list is of simple metals. Maybe this list is older than bronze, created before humans learnt to make alloys. Maybe this list is as old as time itself, as old as the universe.
That's it!
Drake jumps to his feet, excitement now hiding the pain from his wounds.
Universe. Planets!
Suddenly he's back in his Alchemy 101 class at college. Early metals were named after the planets which best represented them. Gold being the Sun, Silver being the Moon and Carbon could well be Earth. Quicksilver was named after Mercury, Copper after Venus, Iron was Mars, Tin was Jupiter and Lead was Saturn.

But what of Iodine, that could be Neptune. "Could this be a huge planetarium?" muses Frank.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:06 pm

As Frank decyphers each symbol and its planetary significance, the symbols move until Neptune is placed at the bottom of the column.
Neptune Lord of the Icy darkness, alone within the far void, a symbol of darkness and deceipt.
The iris slowly cycles open, revealing a conical pit descending downwards, lining the depression is all manner of metal and mechanical debris, until it reaches its central hidden point.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:42 am

Hidden point, eh? Could this be the end, the hiding place within which to hide the ends of the spell threads?
Try and cast a spell, to see if now that the iris is open Frank is able to use magic once more.

Magic + Sorcery: 10 7 5 5 5 (6 Hits)

Drain: 8 5 5 5 5 5 5 (Taken)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Drawing the mana into a form, Drake strained and concentrated until he lifted a small chunk of metallic debris from the pit.
As he finally summoned his magic forth, Frank noticed that the symbols shone upon the walls.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:05 am

'Oh, you like that?' thinks Frank as the symbols fade with his spell.

He gathers up the silver spell threads, and the small piece of debris he just lifted as a test, and takes a few paces back from the edge of the opening.

He carefully and loosely ties the ends of the spell threads around the piece of pipe, and sits down.
Eyes closed he starts to cast a bigger spell. Not aiming to lift anything heavier, but aiming to exercise more control. In his mind eh imagines the great chaotic form of the Gagglepus, noting again it's intricate weaving of metal within metal, and slowly casts one of his more powerful spells.
Making an extended cast on Enhanced Levitate, a Force 6 bad-boy. Also using 2 Edge on casting, 2 on drain.
Magic + Sorcery: 10 9 7 5 + 10 5 (8 Hits)
Drain: 12 9 5 5 5 + 5 5 (Taken and then some!)
The piece of pipe leaps up into the air as if it's a leaf carried on a breeze. It starts to move around the centre of the large chamber in large, slow circles, orbitting an imaginary planet in the centre. The spell threads follow, creating a floating circle which loops around and starts another orbit. The symbols on the wall glow brighter than before as the immense power pours thorugh the small form, filling the chamber.

As the pipe starts another orbit, small pieces of loose metal fly up from the abyss and join the procession. Frank shifts up onto his knees, eyes wide with wonder as another monument starts to slowly take shape, tiny silver threads acting as the template.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:47 pm

A sphere of metal forms, the spell threads weaving around the large debris, into a sphere, a testament to the Gagglepus.
Before the sphere begins to lose cohesion, it begins to sink back down into the pit.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 am

The spheres descent accelerates, the pit absorbing its offering , threads vanishing into the collection of debris.
Standing upon the precipice Frank Drake watches with satisfaction as through the turbulent motion of rolling metal parts, his spells are well and truly concealed.
GM wrote:Make a Metaskills+Stealth test?
A blink of an eye and Frank finds himself elsewhere, he stands upon a narrow platform, before extends a truly epic metal spiders web seemingly made of brass, upon his hand stands an hourglass at this time the sands of time within the bottom.

Far above him hangs a huge mechanical spider, so far motionless and within the middle a section of the web, that appears broken, the path shattered leading to an ornate bell like chamber, which from within Frank can hear a mechanical song not unlike one of those old german town clocks.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:54 am

GM wrote:Make a Metaskills+Stealth test?
Hmmm, don't seem to have either of them. What would his Metaskills be?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 am

Drake wrote:
GM wrote:Make a Metaskills+Stealth test?
Hmmm, don't seem to have either of them. What would his Metaskills be?
GM wrote:I believe his Metaskill is a respectable 3, Stealth defaults to Charisma within the realms astral

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 am

GM wrote:Make a Metaskills+Stealth test?
Metaskills + Stealth: 10 7 5 (4 Hits)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:18 am

Drake wrote:
GM wrote:Make a Metaskills+Stealth test?
Metaskills + Stealth: 10 7 5 (4 Hits)
GM wrote:The Threads are now raised/concealed with a Threshold 8 Quest required to find them :twisted:

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:29 pm

arcanus wrote:A blink of an eye and Frank finds himself elsewhere, he stands upon a narrow platform, before extends a truly epic metal spiders web seemingly made of brass, upon his hand stands an hourglass at this time the sands of time within the bottom.

Far above him hangs a huge mechanical spider, so far motionless and within the middle a section of the web, that appears broken, the path shattered leading to an ornate bell like chamber, which from within Frank can hear a mechanical song not unlike one of those old german town clocks.
Hmmm. So there's an expired hourglass, a web, some broken links, and a chamber. Frank decides that he must turn the hourglass over, starting a timer, and then fix the web to reach the chamber whilst avoiding the spider.
But before he does that, he'll bend down and gently touch one of the brass web strands that start by his feet.
Drake wrote:Is it sticky?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Drake wrote:Is it sticky?
GM wrote:It is not sticky.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 am

One last test before he begins. Frank needs to see if his magic works in this realm, or not.
He casts a simple Levitate on himself (or rather, on the metal in his body) to see if he is still able to wield the arcane arts.
Magic + Sorcery: 7 5 5 5 5 (5 Hits)
Drain: Taken

Does the little fella lift majestically off the ground?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Fri May 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Drake feels his power very strongly, it resonates with the steel strands.
However his attempt to levitate is met with failure.
'So he thinks Magic is allowed here, but not flight, hmmmmmmm'

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Mon May 11, 2009 7:55 am

'You sneaky old realm' muses Frank, 'Maybe you'll stop me flying, but you can't stop me...er, doing something else!'


With a determined look fixed he casts another spell, Movement this time, not to move him up in the air, but to keep him level.

This spell is a stabiliser, so he can run across the web without worrying about falling.
Magic + Sorcery: 21 10 5 5 (8 Hits!)
Drain: Done deal.
Feeling confident in his enhanced balance, the plucky little gnome turns the timer and sprints across the strands, heading for the first broken intersection.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 pm

A feat of dexterity that would have made Houdini proud and Frank Drake, hurtled along the web.
The mammoth metal spider above stirred, one of its legs strumming an upper thread, as it did a series of smaller objects descended from the heights.
Rappelling down through the metallic network, Drake saw a collection of smaller mechanical spiders, the foremost of which arrived upon the same threads as Frank.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue May 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Even these smaller spiders are still large compared to the short statured gnome.

With a thought his robotic tentacles extend from his back and each clamp on to a strand of web. Effortlessly he moves sideways onto a different strand, tentacles detaching and clasping in manner not unlike the foes which follow him.
Suddenly, yards in front of him, a mechanical spider drops down and instantly starts scuttling towards Drake with menace in it's eight eyes.

Almost instinctively Drake waves a hand and casts a Movement spell, aiming to knock it off the web.
Magic + Sorcery: 11 10 5 4 3 3 3 3 3 2
Drain (Magic + Will in the Realms?): 9 7 7 5 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 2 2

(Not sure what the TN of the spell would be, or how the new drain is worked out)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Drake wrote:Magic + Sorcery: 11 10 5 4 3 3 3 3 3 2
Drain (Magic + Will in the Realms?): 9 7 7 5 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 2 2
GM wrote:Drain is Willpower V 5S (6 successes over 5)
Also roll Charisma+GOI?

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

GM wrote:Drain is Willpower V 5S (6 successes over 5)
Also roll Charisma+GOI?
I'll re-roll.
Willpower: 20 5 5 5 3 2 2 2 (Nice!)
Charisma + GoI: 12 10 4 4 (Again... Nice!)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Sun May 24, 2009 7:53 pm

A surge of power escaped Drakes hand, pulsing into the first spider, its clockwork frame slammed aside, falling into the void, a copper wire line stretching from its bulbous brass opisthosoma.
It swung far below, as Drake ran other spiders scuttled at equal pace along the wire strands, each heading to a point of interception.

As Drake ran, he noticed that his very form seemed to be flowing away like the grains of sand held within the hourglass.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:53 am

'No time to lose Frankie, no time!' thought Frank to himself as the mechanical tentacles moved at a modest speed across the web. A speed slightly slower than the nimble mechanical spiders.
'Gotta shake these blaggards off my back!' he though, which gave the gnome a cunning idea.
He stopped at an intersection and dropped to the web, tentacles instantly wrapping around the brass threads. Then, he calls one of his big guns into play. Summoning all the mana around him, the small figure channels the power into an Enhanced Levitate spell, focussed on the intersection at his feet.
His plan is to pull the taut web up by a foot or so.... and then let go with the spell, causing an effect like plucking a guitar string, and vibrating the web like mad. Anything not secured by 3 mechanical tentacles designed to absorb the shock should fall off the web, giving the gnome time...
2 Edge dice in the casting, 2 on the Drain. If I don't have Edge at the moment (can't remember if I've used it) I'll spend a point of karma to replenish the pool...

Sorcery: 8 7 5 4 4 3 2 2
Drain (not sure of new target numbers) : 15 8 5 5 5 3 2 2 2

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 pm

The shockwave started small and grew into a roar, with the strands flexing almost uncontrollably.
The ripple travelled the length of the strands, shaking mechanical spiders down into the chasm, then it returned.
Drake braced himself as the onslaught reached him.

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:04 pm

The three tentacles lock onto the web then extend almost fully, anticipating the shock wave.
As the wave hits Drake hopes the tentacles will contract in to absorb the shock, leaving him unscathed.
What rolls wouldst thou like?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:03 am

Drake wrote:What rolls wouldst thou like?
GM wrote:Drone Quickness (Plus whatever Response Pool you wish to use :?: (equal to your Vehicle Control Rig+1))

User avatar
Drake
Solo
Solo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: The old scaffold warehouse, East 35th. Oakland.

Post by Drake » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:46 am

GM wrote:Drone Quickness (Plus whatever Response Pool you wish to use :?: (equal to your Vehicle Control Rig+1))
Drone Quickness + 3 (of the Pool): 8 8 5 4 3 3 2

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

GM wrote:Roll versus damage of 5S (Including your +1 Dice from your Spinal Reconstruction)

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm

GM wrote:Roll versus damage of 5S (Including your +1 Dice from your Spinal Reconstruction)
Exactly like the recoil of an enormous spring (which in truth is exactly what it was), the force spasmed across the steel web.

Drakes world became one of a deafening roar, devoid of any noise, savage motion shook him so that his sight was a blur.
Only the intelligence of his tentacles kept him from plummeting into the abyss as they swung him along the strands towards the ever distant center of the web.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests