IC - Axis Umbra Malthus

Journeys into the Realms Arcane to be detailed here.

Moderators: arcanus, Otto

Post Reply
User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

IC - Axis Umbra Malthus

Post by arcanus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Curren's solo Quests to be posted here.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Currens MetaQuest - Dismantling Circa 2060

Post by arcanus » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Malthalamus Curren stood upon the huge dam, a great construction made from old stone, on its north side lay a huge body of water,
while on the south a thousand foot drop, stretching into a flat plain of coniferous forests.

"I must say that this is quite an undertaking" Curren turned to look at the small imaculately dressed dwarf in a pinstripe suit.
"As you can see the destruction of the dam, is required to vent the trapped lake water into its original bed, however you will be required to avoid the town over there" with which he points to a settlement visible within the woods.

Curren's eyebrows raised and he released a long silent whistle.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:11 pm

'Aha!' he exclaims aloud in realisation.

'So its a demolition job is it eh?' he thinks to himself.

'Is there any advice you can give me Mr...?' he asks the dwarf.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:23 pm

The dwarf looks momentarily stricken with indecision and grumbles about hiring an expert, then the expert asking the hired help, and that in general the hired help weren't paid nearly enough - and breath.
A stern ahem, returns the Dwarves attention to the matter in hand.
"Well, what's required is of course to demolish the dam, however the water needs to be routed past the village without harm, or payment will of course not be due"
Curren gives the dwarf a 'thanks for pointing out the painfully obvious"
"A matter of brains rather than brawn" he smiles

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 pm

What kind of rock is surrounding the dam? And if this is a man-made structure there should be tunnels in the rock that act as a run off for excess water.
Does there seem to be any water on the other side of the dam at all?
If necessary, I will ask the dwarf these very questions.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Curren wrote:What kind of rock is surrounding the dam? And if this is a man-made structure there should be tunnels in the rock that act as a run off for excess water.
Arcanus wrote:The Dam was constructed between two hills, however there are tunnels allow overflow.
Curren wrote:Does there seem to be any water on the other side of the dam at all?
Arcanus wrote:The lake side is full, a small degree of water does vent through drains and cascades down into a small river, which follows what is presumably the course of the original lake.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:18 pm

How far down the bank is the settlement on the original rivers course?
And how many houses does it consist of?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Curren wrote:How far down the bank is the settlement on the original rivers course?
Arcanus wrote:The settlement lies around a mile and a half to the dams north west, but well within the uncontrolled burst should the dam rupture.
Curren wrote:And how many houses does it consist of?
Arcanus wrote:Around 40 cottages.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 am

'Indeed! Brains over brawn...' The Englishman answers thoughtfully to the Dwarf as he raises his eyebrows with amusement.

'I think I'm going to go down and have a chat with the villagers, so if you would excuse me Mr?.' he produces his hand for the dwarf to shake it.

'Rest assured that the job will be done swiftly and prudently.' Curren gives back some confidence to put the Dwarf at ease.

'Now how the heck do I get down there?' He thinks to himself with irritation as he looks uncertainly around.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 pm

The dwarf spluttered and watched as Curren wandered off, eventually finding a path that led from the dam, down the north hill path until he arrived at the hamlet.
The place was small, cosy and breathed an air of peace, it reminded Curren of the tranquility of Crab Lake.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Choosing the largest house out of them all, but first checking to see that it wasn't a house of worship; he stepped up onto a roofed porch and tapped the large brass knocker fashioned in the image of a regal lions head on a sturdy varnished oak door.

He waited patiently, admiring the mass of ivy plants that wound up the beige painted stone walls on all sides. The ivy had been pruned and managed so it didn't reach the thatched roof or cover the metal rimmed glass windows. He had noticed that most of the other houses although not as grand as this one seemed to have been designed the same way and decked out with the same floral arrangements. There was not much evidence of gardens near any of the houses Curren noticed, and he presumed there must be allotments for them nearby.

'Very nice, if a little too uniform' he muttered with as he turned around an looked again at the rest of the hamlet which centred around a little grassed rise where a large chalk white stone roughly five feet high and four foot width stood. He was sure there was some sort of inscription on it but had yet to investigate it.

The pebbled path that ran from the heights of the cliff where he had come from wound completely around the rise; and many smaller paths like the suns rays bisected from this ‘roundabout’ and must lead he assumed to each of the individual houses.

‘Pretty bloody quiet though.’ He thought as he consulted his wrist full of many watches. ‘It must be ‘tiffin’ time’' his face broke ito a grin.

He turned back to the door and knocked the door itself loudly.

‘Ello? Any one 'ome?’ his voice broke the quiet as he peered through the window nearest to the porch looking for any movement inside.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 am

"Well hello" comes a voice from around the side of the cottage, amiably peering around he see's a man in his thirties.
Thick set through years of hard work, farmers denin dungerees.
Around the side of the cottage, a plot of land was laid out in neat squares, vegetable patches laid out in neats rows, small white bricks creating the rows.
From the look of things the man had been working all morning, toiling.
There was something that Curren found refreshing, clean air, hard work, simpler times, a reminder of older days.
"Hi, can I help?" he says smiling
Currens face furrowed, the man seemed familiar in a perplexing way.
GM wrote:Make a Logic+Essence test?

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Logic+Essence: 11 8 7 5 5 5 4 3 2 1 1 6 Hits

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Curren wrote:
Logic+Essence: 11 8 7 5 5 5 4 3 2 1 1 6 Hits
A smile crossing Curren's face hiding his perplexity, he analysed the young man, although the man had shown nothing but friendship, something niggled at the magician.
"Are you okay?" asked the man, as he straightened up, stretching his back and then leaning forwards on his hoe.
Curren noticed that other villagers had started to appear, a girl in her early twenties, old rural clothing carrying pales of milk, followed by a little girl, again something about both girls puzzled him.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Curren blushed in embarassment at his visible confusion and the sudden appearance of more of the townspeople.

'Er, its nothing Sir. Just the heat of this fine day I'm sure; I've walked some way to see you all and I'm not as fit as I should be!' he smiled as he removed his bowler hat that he had worn for this venture; he felt that the bowler went well with his white light ruffled shirt and a pair of dark green slacks, the matching suit jacket was draped over his left shoulder. A heavy set of sturdy laced boots completed the ensemble.

'May I introduce myself? I'm Malthalamus Curren, and I'm here regarding the dam.' He produced his hand to the man.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm

The man smiled and shook the offered hand vigorously.
The little girl had come over to him to find out what he was all about.
Then it struck Malthalamus Curren, he looked from the man to the little girl, both bore a resemblance to him, not identical but as if they were his descendants.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:10 pm

'Have I met you somewhere before Sir?' he enquired as he wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. 'You seem familiar to me, pray tell me your name.' he explained.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 pm

The man smiles "Pleased to meet you, my names 'Toblin Blake'"
"Welcome to the village of Hopeshead" he adds, "Your here about the dam, is there a problem with the dam?" he enquires

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

'Not in the slightest Mr Blake, the dam is in good working order. However there are tests and routine works that need to be made on it; and therefore a large amount of water will need to flow from the lake behind it and down its original natural course.' He said with an easy smile.

'Now theres no cause for alarm as there is no danger to your lovely hamlet. I have come down here to survey the original river bed and to speak to you over how the river ran originally. Could you show me?' he enquired.

'I will not threaten their lives for my own selfish gain.' he thought to himself. 'This needs to be planned meticulously.'

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Blake looks a little taken aback "Of course, PAM I'M TAKING THIS HERE GENTLEMAN DOWN TO THE RIVERBED!" he shouts
The little girl skips with excitement
He grabs his worn hessian satchel, smiles at you and heads out, leading you down a mud path leading down into the woods.
Woods that thicken into the deeper forest.
Blake chats amiably with Curren, until they reach the valley floor and the moist leaf mulch trail, indicating the remnants of a river bed.
The riverbed had long since grown over, young trees had spouted up, the canopies of the older trees had now sheltered the course, saplings and shoots everywhere.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:47 pm

'How long has this dam been in place?' he asks as he bends down and picks up a straight stick measuring two foot in length. He sweeps it around in an arc and then deftly rolls it from the back of his hand up his arm onto his shoulder. Gravity brings the stick back the way it came and Curren flicks his wrist to the side and catches it in his hand.

'It appears to me that it really isn't that old.' he voices his opinion to Blake.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 pm

"Well thats why we were a bit surprised when you turned up" replied Blake, the little girl was captivated by the stick.
"It was built only a decade ago!", Blake turned and looked up, squinting at a shaft of white gold sunlight breaking through the canopy.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm

'Well yes, I can understand that. But needs must when the guv'nor calls!' he smiles sheilding his eyes from the glare with his hand as he regards Mr Blake.

'I want to keep you safe in your homes, and that Sir is my highest priority.' he tosses the stick away lightly and leans against a young tree.

'What can you remember of when they first built the dam? And can you point out to me any workings etcetera that they made?' he asks.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 am

Blake looks a little concerned at the mention of safety.
"I certainly can, I'll show you the earthworks, when they built it, just remind me of what you have to do?" he said hesitantly
That said he began to move into a trail through the trees and shrubbery which Curren's instinctive sense of direction told him would lead due south west of the Hamlet.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:40 am

He thought back at the dwarf's instructions, he had stipulated that the structure was to be demolished. Curren blushed in embarassment at this glaring ommission from what he had told Blake.

'Toblin, could I speak to you privately a moment?' he asked stopping on the trail and turning towards the villager.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:22 pm

The walk took them through a dark trail, big leaves moist with morning dew protected from the suns evaporation by the thick canopy above.
Again Curren relished the clean, simple nature of the place, a good stroll without problem or incident, far from the dangers of the Sixth World.

The trio appeared at a grassy hillock, the northern slope of which descended down into the base of the dam, at the base of the dam where the earth ruptured to allow the stone behemoth to rise was a pooling of water.
Liquid that had gradually seeped through the stone work, finding its way as befitting a force of nature.

Blake turned after looking up the full height of the ediface, he left the little girl in charge of his satchel and a wooden scrimshaw, he'd been working on.
Satisfied the girl was entertained he walked across to the other side of the hillock, he turned to face Curren.
"So what did you want to talk to me about?" he asked

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:13 pm

'You see I haven't been entirely accurate about what my job entails.' he begins as he kneels and dips his hands in the pool of water, and moistens and cools his face from the warm day.

He looks over his shoulder at Blake, 'I have been tasked to demolish the dam on the companies orders. But to ensure that your hamlet is safe and unscathed.' Curren stands and regards the villager, gauging his reaction to the news.
Perception+Logic of 9 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 hit.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Despite Curren's lack of perception Blakes expression is evident, stricken with worry. He looks aprehensively at the dam and then at his daughter.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:51 pm

He stands and walks back to the concerned man.

'Believe me I'm not going to attempt anything until I've fully surveyed the whole area, drawn up the plans and let you study them for yourself.' he assured the vilager.

'And its not going to be a rush job. I'm going to have to bring in some assistance. Personal friends of mine!' he added with a air of growing confidence.

'But more importantly I want your input and guidance about the dam and the old river course. That knowledge is essential to success.' he adds.
Charisma + Logic 7 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 1 1 3 Hits
'And I would like to ask if there would be any improvements you would like to the hamlet itself? I can help you there too.' he offers.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Blake looks both preturbed and relieved "When you say friends who might they be?" he says
Blake thinks for a while, looking out at the pool and the dam.
"There is a local guide who helped the builders, plot all the courses and earth works, he might be able to help?" suggests Blake, who seems a little happier.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:42 pm

'Thats a capital idea mate, a guide will be very helpful in this venture' He answers with a smile as he pats Toblin comradely on his shoulder.

'As for my friends, I'm going to have to bring them to me in a special way.' he explains. 'It will take a while to do, but I assure you theres no cause for alarm.'

'Could I beg a boon, and ask if anyone could put me up in lodgings? My credit is good. A place to myself would be even better' he asks as he looks around absorbing the peace and tranquility of the valley.
Looking at his watch, what time is it?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Looking down at one of his watches, Curren suddenly realised how hungry he was, in fact starving.
'That'll be the fresh air and clean living he thought to himself', another smile crossed his face, a curiosity in that all of his half dozen watches had probably for the first time all told the same time. Blake smiled, beckoning his daughter to follow and then waiting for Malthalamus Curren to join them.
The stroll back took them on a curved trail past lush green fields of ripening corn and beside that golden wheat, both Blake and his daughter had to stop and patiently wait for their wonder struck visitor.

Eventually the trio reached the Hamlet, a thought that this was simply to good crossed his mind for near enough the fourth time.
A theory compounded by the smell of roast chicken and freshly cooked bread, 'Damn this place' he smiled to himself.

Malthalamus Curren was treated like a lord, Blake would have none of staying in lodgings, Curren would stay and no more would be said about it. Sat down at the opposite end of the farmhouse table, a large roast bird surrounded by vegetables and tankards of ale.
Soft lanterns and a half built fire, brought an orange illuminance and shadow puppet show to the cedarwood beams of the homestead.

It was later in the evening that 'Blake' took Curren for a walk, the Hamlet consisted of only a dozen houses, never the less they strolled right the way up through the settlement to a lone cabin upon the hill.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Fri May 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Are there any lights on in the cabin? Is it inhabited?

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Fri May 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Curren wrote:Are there any lights on in the cabin? Is it inhabited?
Arcanus wrote:Yes you can see that much of the cabin is illuminated by soft yellow lantern light!

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Fri May 08, 2009 3:46 pm

'Where are you taking me mate?' he asks Blake as they trudged up the hill.

The evening was warm, with the crickets chirping in the tall grass. The stars had come out and were numerous and bright, a sure sign of being out in the country. 'It must be about eight thirty now.' Curren guessed without looking at his watches as he breathed in the sweet smelling woodsmoke from the hamlets now extinguished cooking fires. The occasional bat would ghost silently past their heads seeking the pockets of flying insects that were still very active late into the dusk.

The moon was in its crescent phase, and it seemed unnaturally large as it made its way across the heavens on its ancient course. It was waxing or waning depending on where you were in the world; and this gave the englishman thought as to where he actually was geograpically on the astral plane in relation to the physical world.

He dismissed the question with a shrug of his shoulders, he wasn't going to burden himself this evening with an 'ice cream cosmology headache'.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Fri May 08, 2009 5:09 pm

As the pair hiked up the hill, the deep woodland framing the cabin loomed over them.
The yellow light flooded out through the four panel windows onto the veranda, crickets hid from the swift bats, and fiddled in the long grass,
stalks bowed gently by the evening breeze.

“To see the guide” replied Toblin, jovially

Stepping upon on the veranda, Toblin knocked upon the sturdy wooden door.
Curren frowned with curiousity as Toblin seemed to gain some acknowledgement that he hadn’t heard and the pair stepped across the threshold.
The cabin was surprisingly cavernous inside, an older building than the dwellings of the hamlet, the wood older and telling a far longer story, wooden sculptures and paintings dotted the walls. The porch opened into an enclosed atrium, stood within its centre was a small carved wooden dias, upon which lay an old stone, markings scribed into its surface.

Toblin moved into the large living area, stood beside an enormous table was a large troll, an older man with a heavy beard, a warm smile crossed his lips as Toblin and Curren entered. As it seemed customary Curren frowned once again, ‘This place is a mystery he thought’ yet again a vague feeling of recognition crossed his mind.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Fri May 08, 2009 6:00 pm

'Good evening Sir.' Curren removes his bowler and introduces himself by name to the Troll. 'And a fine one it is too!' he smiles to hide his slight unease.

'Er, Mr Blake wanted to introduce me to you?' he adds as an explanation for his presence at the large metahumans home.

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

Post by arcanus » Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 pm

The troll turned and a large hand was offered, a smile upon his face.
Curren turned and looked at the large table, he see's a huge collection of stones of all descriptions.

"Welcome Mr Curren, welcome to my home, my name is Barof, please take a seat" and with a sweep of his large arm he gestures to an old comfortable leather chair.

User avatar
Curren
Magi
Magi
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Curren » Fri May 08, 2009 11:09 pm

He shook the trolls large hand as well as he physically could as he briefly looked around the room again and wracked his brain to remember why this was all was so familiar to him.

His vision locked on the stone that rested in a place of reverence in Barof's household; and he likened it to the 'milestone' he had seen in the village earlier that day.

'What is going on with my mind here?' The familiarity or kinship he had with these people, and the strange memories about this place he likened to the portent that had tormented him for as long as he could remember.

The diary.

He shook his head to blot out the thought of it, and met the eyes of Barof.

'Remember, this incarnation of the metaplanes will only be stable as long as you are stable in yourself!' Curren thought angrily. 'Order and tranquility can easily fall into chaos in this place if your mind lets it.' his self control slapped his cloudy reasoning into an accord and this dangerous enigma was contained for now.

'Your welcome and hospitality honours me Barof.' he said warmly as he bowed with respect and sat down in the the seat that had been profferred.

He exhaled audibly, and hoped he had managed to pass it off as a sign of of pleasure on sinking into the comforting upholstery of the chair.

'Better!' He thought with satisfaction. 'Learn to control yourself, or by god someone else will!'

User avatar
arcanus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Generally Universal

The Good Village

Post by arcanus » Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 am

Barof seats himself in a well worn brown leather chair
"So Malthalamus what brings you too our little town?" he asks

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest